your most redneck emergency repairs...

Pete M

47 minutes ago, DirtyComanche said:

I'd pour that stuff in a radiator before I drank it, so no, I'd not call that redneck.

You don't have to rub it in just because you guys in  :canflag:  brew better beer than we do.  :beerchug: 

47 minutes ago, DirtyComanche said:

I'd pour that stuff in a radiator before I drank it, so no, I'd not call that redneck.

That was before the time of microbrews and a steady income.  When you're 18, cold and "a lot of it" was all ya needed. 

It was  "an emergency" remember. :beerbang:

8 minutes ago, DirtyComanche said:

There's lots of good beer available in the US now. :beerchug:

I'm not referring to the "designer" beers. I mean the common stuff that Joe Sixpack drinks. Your LaBatt and Molson beers for example are light years better tasting than our Pabst or Bud rotgut.

Just now, HOrnbrod said:

I'm not referring to the "designer" beers. I mean the common stuff that Joe Sixpack drinks. Your LaBatt and Molson beers for example are light years better tasting than our Pabst or Bud rotgut.

True.  I've never understood why people choose to drink Bud here when it's at a premium price. :crazy:

I mean, the full-strength mass markets aren't completely awful on either side of the 49th... Not good but not awful. I'll drink them when they're on tap for half the price of something decent. It's the proliferation of the "light" beers at nearly the same price point that I've never quite understood. I mean, I've sampled puddles with better flavour profiles than bud light, and seemingly similar alcohol content...

But that said any time I've been south of the border recently I've picked up something just before coming back and have rarely been disappointed. Simply because of where I've been crossing it's mostly been Montana and PNW products, and stuff you can get at Walmart, but still pretty good.

But segueing back on topic, even the beefier Canadian beer bottles don't make great cheater bars for a ratchet handle. I've got scars on my hands to prove it...

636523138950789515-012318-Beer-ONLINE.pn

Are you kidding me? I must be weird or a redneck; wouldn't drink any of that junk except Corona unless there was nothing else.

My top five:

1.  Narragansett. New England area beer - hard to find in the rest of the country. Grew up on this stuff, and lots of good memories. High alcohol content.

2.  Miller High Life. My everyday preference. Good taste and high alcohol content.

3.  Coors Banquet. Second everyday preference. Also with high alcohol content.

4.  Yuengling. Third everyday preference. Also with high alcohol content.

5.  Corona Extra. Special occasion beer. Also with high alcohol content.

I wouldn't really rank Coors Banquet any higher than the regular Bud. Or the High life. I also wouldn't consider 5% ABV as all that high, being it's pretty typical for anything other than the "lights"... My favourite beer so far is an Icelandic stout, Garún, which is 11.5% ABV, but that's not always easy to come by. Old Engine Oil is another of my favourite porters at 6.0%. Usually I'll try to get some Unibroue, which range from 7-9% with some outliers. But I guess we're still talking craft beers. For just regular "warm day" or "hangout" beers any of the mass-market beers will do... Pil, Keith's, Kokanee, Molson, Bud, Coors banquet, Moose Head, etc... there are some slight differences but most of it is pretty similar, and all close enough to 5.0% not to really make a difference there either. Although I do have a preference towards Big Rock Trad and O16 Copper... which I guess technically count as craft beers again, but they're everywhere where I've grown up so I forget that. But for sitting and enjoying the beer I'll go with a porter or stout, which don't really come in the mass-market variety, except for Guinness, which in it's standard variety is alright I guess but not great, much like the mass-market lagers and ales, just a bit more different from them.

I like how this got hijacked into a beer thread. :roflmao:

2 hours ago, HOrnbrod said:

4.  Yuengling. Third everyday preference. Also with high alcohol content.

I used to drink that all the time when I worked in PA.  Can't get it west of the Mississippi I'm told, and I've certainly looked.  I quite enjoyed it for being a competitively priced brew.

5 minutes ago, DirtyComanche said:

I like how this got hijacked into a beer thread. :roflmao:

Well, the thread title is "your most redneck emergency repairs...". What's more redneck than drinking beer? Besides, nobody's going to beat ftpiercecracker's plywood back window redneck repair.  :applause:

I once used some thick sisal rope as "snow chains" once, but it was planned as such and never left the trails.  worked pretty darn good too since my 2wd with 3" tires didn't get stuck once in the 8" snowfall. :D   no pictures though.  that was a loooong time ago in prehistoric times.  you know, 1998.  :laugh:

We have a fella in our club that we call Mcgyver. Hes used his wife's hair bungie as a throttle return spring, Hes held leaf springs to the axle with bailing twine and a ratchet strap, he had a vapor lock issue, so he re-routed his AC vent line to put cool air right on the gas line by the manifold to keep it cool, and a few other things. Trail repairs are the best.