88 Grand Waggy

We have an 89 360 auto 4x4 still needs some interior love, but looks good on the outside 

73D2FBB7-C87E-4CF7-96D7-3B3E4980BA6E.jpeg.206af6b7cad711e4063e179c08041da4.jpeg

Hay guys some of those wagoners are going for up to 50,000 in Cali FYI. The prices are going through the roof and parts are getting scarce. My girlfriend is looking for one now. We passed on one for 17 Grand 8 months ago. Now it’s probably worth 24 now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wood grain is popular and nostalgic now with melineals. It the simplicity of design and function. It just simple straight forward engineering. No screen mounted in the dash but there is a place for a map. Old school is good.

The wood grain is not my favorite on mine lol...I’ve been thinking of replacing it with 90’s rainbow holo-foil happy face pattern vinyl ....anyone know where I can find aaaaaanything like that? If you know what I’m talking about, is there a proper term for what it’s called? Think old LBZ sticker background...

87' XJ Wagoneer I-6 AW4 NP242

The wood grain is not my favorite on mine lol...I’ve been thinking of replacing it with 90’s rainbow holo-foil happy face pattern vinyl ....anyone know where I can find aaaaaanything like that? If you know what I’m talking about, is there a proper term for what it’s called? Think old LBZ sticker background...

Craigslist?
I’m not sure but I think it’s called crap. But that’s just a guess. So don’t quote me on that.

@terrawombat I didn't say that very clearly. "Rust came free" meaning it came with plenty of it; mostly around the windows. The rest checks out so far. Paid for it too. But not enough to worry too much about. It's a project though and my wife wants this one. So it's going to cost me in the end. 

I didn't quite realize how sought after these were until I got it home and parked it in my driveway. In the first two days, three people made offers. If I was smart, I would have let someone else take it away and save me the time and money.

Update: Rebuilt carb, new battery and fuel pump, repaired stock radiator, still having problems with the fuel sender/gauge. Pulled most of the interior. Now tackling the sun-baked woodgrain to get it ready for bodywork/paint.

IMG_3811.JPG

[mention=2210]terrawombat[/mention] I didn't say that very clearly. "Rust came free" meaning it came with plenty of it; mostly around the windows. The rest checks out so far. Paid for it too. But not enough to worry too much about. It's a project though and my wife wants this one. So it's going to cost me in the end. 

I didn't quite realize how sought after these were until I got it home and parked it in my driveway. In the first two days, three people made offers. If I was smart, I would have let someone else take it away and save me the time and money.

Update: Rebuilt carb, new battery and fuel pump, repaired stock radiator, still having problems with the fuel sender/gauge. Pulled most of the interior. Now tackling the sun-baked woodgrain to get it ready for bodywork/paint.

IMG_3811.JPG.1d945a1d6ea2df1e93127266b6f9c772.JPG

Almost bought one 16 years ago. Was already to buy it and I did something smart and tried to put it in my garage with the grand Cherokee. Owned a condo at the time and the two car garage just wouldn’t fit it in. I was really bummed when I found that out. It was beautiful. On YouTube there Is a young Doctor Who put one back together and it really came out nice. He had a lot of resources for parts and also there is a place in Florida that’s still making the wood grain. But I would think car rap company could do it. Congratulations on the find. It’s always good to find people that are restoring these jeeps and not just running them into the ground. Some of body styles were so unique there’s nothing else like them.

I know how that feels,   took mine to work one day since the xj wagoneer decided it wanted to pour gas on the exaust manifold.  Got one offer to buy it outright and another offer to trade for a square body 80's suburban.   Got mine for 5,500 after talking him down from 7k.   Only problem was a little carpet wear in the cargo area.  And the PO's strange love of gasket maker I found out after I got into it.  Well on the plus side of the wagoneers, way more aftermarket support than mj's.

Fuel gauge issues often trace back to crap grounds from the factory. I had tons of gauge issues until I grounded the battery to the inside of the fender. Always worked great after that. I later did a CS-130 conversion as the stock alternator was only a 76 amp and would drain the battery when pulling floats in the parade while the AC was on. When you drive a Wagoneer, even though it feels like riding on your sofa you aren't. And make sure to always leave 20 minutes early as you will get stopped by someone who has a story about their mom/dad/grandparents/randomperson and how much they loved theirs. BJs offroad is the go to for hard to find parts.

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I just seen this. Awesome. If I could finish of my projects, the next would be this, a j truck, or my dream Fc. If there are certain parts any of you need, send me a list. I have come across several of these and j trucks. I know they are getting sparce at least around here. The yards I find them in are on the verge of closing and have never crushed cars. Serious backwoods, but I have made mental notes. 1 yard in particular had several j trucks and other ford chevy of that era like 20 acres of old stock in an old pasture that was kept up ulike the rest of the place that was overgrown with weeds, trees, and swamp.

• 2 months later...

Got the interior pulled. Found a pair of vice grips holding a window up. Found newspaper stuffed into the leaky sunroof to catch the water. And found the rear window lift is rusted. 

Finding hardware for the sunroof is tricky. And I'd rather not have a sunroof at all (leaks, the headache of rebuilding a headliner that works). Any opinions on repairing it vs. welding in a new roof panel from the luggage rack forward?

Thanks for all the comments. A lot of helpful stuff in here.

IMG_5461.JPG

Edited by MiamiMJ

• 3 months later...
On ‎2‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 8:59 PM, Kyleinreallife said:

Also, Has anyone any experience with actually replacing the vinyl with wood paneling?

Old post but I thought I'd chime in by saying that a lot of the woody restorations you see are actually painted not vinyl.   This was a common process on the dash boards and other interior parts of older cars.  It's just done on woodies on a bigger scale.   One of my brothers has a '66 Ford Country Squire with painted wood grain.   I think the only way you can tell is that it looks better!  Vinyl covering gets dull over time vs. paint which does not if you maintain it.   The real problem is the "wood" trim which is usually a lighter colour.   Not sure about Jeeps but a lot of them are made of fibreglass.   There are a lot of pieces and if some are missing or broken it can become very expensive.