Peugeot or Ax-15

I went under my Comanche to see what transmission I had, but I couldn't tell. I couldn't find any labels or numbers, the only thing I noticed that might be helpful is the drain plug is on the passenger side. Are there any other ways of identifying which one it is?

The Peugeot case is split down the length of it, with a seam roughly running along the bottom and another at the top.  The AX-15 splits around the middle in several sections.

Post a couple pictures for 100% verification.

If you're going to convert to 4wd there's no need to worry about it, you won't be reusing it.

I wouldnt just go off the year of your jeep. Both these transmissions could have easily been swapped one for the other and visa versa over the years. The ax 15 is a direct swap in terms of fittament for the pukegoat. I have managed to keep a pukegoat alive until it hit over 190000 once though. It was wheeled pretty good by the second owner in Colorado for about 30000 miles he owned it. Before him it was garage kept and owned by a 70 year old. Then I got it and tore it up with a worn out 3" lift with spacers up front and add a leafs in back to get it to clear the 31s. To tell if its a pukegoat, look for bolts down the split on the bottom and top of transmission. Think of it as a clam shell. If you were to lay it on its side it you could access the bolts to split the case. On a ax 15 its a case with sections between it and the bellhousing. Both of these units could have an internal throwout bearing so do not just look at that to try to decide which one it is. Maybe if your really lucky someone swapped an NV in there.

The BA10/5 was not a bad tranny. the problem is it was light duty for a 4.0 going off road, just way to much for its design. I have seen them go over 200k. However with offroading you will see them puke the guts out quick. I have a friend in Czech republic has one in a 88 that never off roads, but just street use. he got right around 250k right now and not a single problem. I have 2 BA10/5 in a shed that are pretty much new with less than 10k on both. I keep them around just in case with all the parts.

14 minutes ago, Noriyori_Kudo said:

The BA10/5 was not a bad tranny. the problem is it was light duty for a 4.0 going off road, just way to much for its design. I have seen them go over 200k. However with offroading you will see them puke the guts out quick. I have a friend in Czech republic has one in a 88 that never off roads, but just street use. he got right around 250k right now and not a single problem. I have 2 BA10/5 in a shed that are pretty much new with less than 10k on both. I keep them around just in case with all the parts.

Compared to the ax15, it's junk. 

As I have said in previous threads, my BA10 never left me stranded.  I put over 270k on it.  My problem with it was the internal slave cylinder.  That was why I swapped in an external slave AX15.

Yes, the AX15 is a better trans for Jeeps.

45 minutes ago, Kickin’Chicken said:

Compared to the ax15, it's junk. 

And compared to the 3550 the AX-15 is junk. Once you start that argument, you can't stop.

I bought my '88 XJ new. The original BA 10/5 transmission now has over 287,000 miles on it, has been driven offroad extensively, and it still works fine.

44 minutes ago, 87MJTIM said:

As I have said in previous threads, my BA10 never left me stranded.  I put over 270k on it.  My problem with it was the internal slave cylinder.  That was why I swapped in an external slave AX15.

Yes, the AX15 is a better trans for Jeeps.

That was my problem too, that slave would just pop and give out without warning. We had one go out at 4k then at 7k then when out at just under 11k. That's when we switched over to ax15. My buddy in Czech republic says he gets about 45k out of a slave on his ba10. I always wonder if it was parts supplier! I still have the ba10 in shed with new clutch, and new slave. IN a pinch I can switch out in a couple hours if my ax15 ever went wrong

my Peugeot never left me stranded either!  after it blew a hole out the side of the case and drained itself of fluid I was still able to drive 20 some miles home (although some gears made an ear splitting noise and eventually I was stuck in 3rd for the last few miles).  2wd and I was just cruising along at 45 in rush hour traffic at the time.  :comanche:  

4 hours ago, Kickin’Chicken said:

That's simply not true. AX15 is as strong or stronger then the 3550. 

That's highly debatable, but strength is not the only criterion for "better." I own XJs and MJs with all three transmissions, and the 3550 is by far the best of the breed. Stronger, smoother, easier to shift, better gear ratios, and quieter.

• 1 month later...