Has anyone tried a canvas camper?

I've looked into it but I've never been super impressed with the commercially available soft toppers. In addition to the lack of decent looking fit (nothing is actually designed for the MJ, just vehicles with similar dimensions) none of them really seem to have decent solutions for throwing a canoe or something on top.

I seem to recall a member on here building their own. If I had the resources that would be the route I'd take. Get the tubes bent myself for an exoskeleton sort of look maybe, hanging the canvas inside the frame, or else figure out a way to get a roof rack to poke through the canvas without compromising it or having any water leaks. 

I debated it because a topper is nice half the time, and an open box is nice the other half...  But I don't think one would hold up to the snow loading it would see here when I leave the truck parked outside.

I've debated building something like a modular topper, say a steel frame with individual panels on it that can be removed.  That way I could pull the topper off without other people/my hoist, 'fold it up' and store it in my shed.  However that's just a thought for the time being.

That is SOOOO cool!!!! I personally have what we in the Eastern MA call a Cap, others call it a topper. Mine is on in winter and off in summer, have a pulley system in my garage to hoist it. Plus, it's lockable, and secure, minus, it's heavy and requires 2 people to install, remove, or a pulley system. Only drawback to  this one is security. Otherwise it is just bad @$$ Millitary looking!!!! 

12 hours ago, thejum57 said:

That is SOOOO cool!!!! I personally have what we in the Eastern MA call a Cap, others call it a topper. Mine is on in winter and off in summer, have a pulley system in my garage to hoist it. Plus, it's lockable, and secure, minus, it's heavy and requires 2 people to install, remove, or a pulley system. Only drawback to  this one is security. Otherwise it is just bad @$$ Millitary looking!!!! 

I like the look of it too. The tan looks like my color. Then I'll get paint to match.