Wheel & Tire Combo

Alright y'all,

I have scoured the forums to try and get an idea on what size rim and tire I need for my setup. I just need a little guidance from those that have done this before me.

I'm about to install a 3" or 4.5" lift on the truck and I want to get the best size tire/wheel combo that I can fit, preferably without major fender trimming.

I'm looking at either 32" or 33" X 11.5" by R15". Which do you think will work the best with these lift options? Also, depending on what tire I get, should I get a 15X7 rim or 15X8?

I also have 1" spacers already installed.

Also forewarning, my truck is currently 2WD, so I'm thinking of a PreRunner look.

Thanks in advance.

11.5" tire belongs on a 9" wheel.

At 33 on 4.5 you are probably still going to cut. 

I'm currently looking to go 325/60/18 which is a 13.5 tire, 11" would be ideal but I'm likely stuck with 10" wheel. 

Finding a wheel you like with the correct diameter/width/BS/offset/bolt pattern is the hard part. 

Consider metric if you want width with less height. 

I've been doing this research for months because I also don't want to trim.  I've come to the conclusion that on a 4.5" lift, 31x10.5 is as big as you can go without trimming and most likely without rubbing anything at lock, but it needs to be bumpstoped.  

This all depends on the backspacing of the wheel too.  I will be running the stock Eliminator wheels(not sure the backspacing) and I should be able to still stuff these tires into the fender, any taller or wider and they'd be crumpling sheet metal.  

Also 10.5 is as wide as you can go on a 15x7 wheel.  If you are going to buy new wheels, I'd recommend grabbing 15x8 so you can fit the 10.5 and upgrade to a little wider later on if you need/want to. 

14 hours ago, Brett486 said:

Alright y'all,

I have scoured the forums to try and get an idea on what size rim and tire I need for my setup. I just need a little guidance from those that have done this before me.

I'm about to install a 3" or 4.5" lift on the truck and I want to get the best size tire/wheel combo that I can fit, preferably without major fender trimming.

I'm looking at either 32" or 33" X 11.5" by R15". Which do you think will work the best with these lift options? Also, depending on what tire I get, should I get a 15X7 rim or 15X8?

I also have 1" spacers already installed.

Also forewarning, my truck is currently 2WD, so I'm thinking of a PreRunner look.

Thanks in advance.

2.5L or 4.0L?

Bigger is heavier and slower. Kind of seems like you are putting looks ahead of performance and utility which isn't usually a good idea. With a 2wd truck go with the smallest tire that will meet your needs. 30x9.5, 265/70R15, and 31x10.5 will all look great on 3" lift and be more tolerable on stock gearing.

11 hours ago, DesertRat1991 said:

2.5L or 4.0L?

Bigger is heavier and slower. Kind of seems like you are putting looks ahead of performance and utility which isn't usually a good idea. With a 2wd truck go with the smallest tire that will meet your needs. 30x9.5, 265/70R15, and 31x10.5 will all look great on 3" lift and be more tolerable on stock gearing.

4.0 with a stock Dana 35. 

I plan on regearing and possibly upgrading the diff. But for now it’s all street use. 

Not it planning on heavy off-road since it’s 2WD. Like I said, maybe pretender style with sand in mind and light trails. 

Also I'm not opposed to trimming. Had my eye on some flat fenders, which require trimming. Just don’t have the $$$ To buy a lift, wheels/tires and flares. 

being 2wd makes it even more appealing to upgrade that rear axle at the same time. :thumbsup:  in addition to being tougher and having better gears, all the usual suspects (8.25/ 8.8/d44) have a slightly longer snout that helps make up for the lift pulling the driveshaft out of the trans.

14 minutes ago, Pete M said:

being 2wd makes it even more appealing to upgrade that rear axle at the same time. :thumbsup:  in addition to being tougher and having better gears, all the usual suspects (8.25/ 8.8/d44) have a slightly longer snout that helps make up for the lift pulling the driveshaft out of the trans.

True. But the 2WD driveshaft has that stupid rubber sheath around it that deteriorates over time and causes vibrations sooner or later. You will need to replace it one day with a new shaft. It's best to do it at the same time you lift it.

Ran the following setup for over a year 2WD before converting the truck to 4WD this past spring. 

All of my parts are new but most were purchased from other JEEP enthusiasts cause I am cheap. 

Front -  2" Rusty's Front Springs, JKS ACOS, Rough Country Drop Brackets, Std arms 2WD ( did change to WJ lowers for 4WD).

Rear - Iron Rock Off-Road full length AALs 

Run Bridgestone Dueler RVTs 265/75/16 on JEEP Rubicon MOABs

Have only had minor scrubbing in 2WD or my current 4WD configuration. 

• 2 weeks later...

True. But the 2WD driveshaft has that stupid rubber sheath around it that deteriorates over time and causes vibrations sooner or later. You will need to replace it one day with a new shaft. It's best to do it at the same time you lift it.
Interestingly enough. My MJ (still 2wd currently) has a 'normal-type' driveshaft. My parts MJ had on of the larger dia. driveshafts.