Oil leak after new rear main install

Ok guys..i got a 88 comanchd 4.0 and i have replaced the rear main 3 times less then 2 weeks...i kept thinking it was still it...i did everything just like i should..but now i noticed the oil is coming out from between the trans and dust cover..is there a seal behind the flywheel that could go bad?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How many RMS have you done in the past? Watch some youtube videos on jeep rear mains there some good ones see if you missed something. Also a very tiny scratch on the metal surface can cause it.

took a few tries to get mine juuuust right.  :(  one-piece gasket is a must have.  

and yeah, any tiny flaw in the steel surfaces or the seal itself and it leaks.   :fs1:   there exists a double lip seal out there if your truck has a groove in the steel where the stock one rides.

See if the o-ring between the oil filter adapter and block is leaking. I had that issue on a 99 XJ, oil was running down the block on to top of oil pan and then to the back of motor. I think i was $6 for the o-ring.

There's UV dye you can purchase to trace the leak. Will safe you some time.

IMHO a waste of money.

If you hit the entire suspect area with brakeclean/rags to dry the oil off, it's normally extremely easy to tell what's leaking just by starting it up again and looking with a regular ol' bright light.

Also, it might not be an engine leak.  The trans could be leaking, auto or manual, and picking up enough dirt/junk that it looks nice and dirty black by the time it hits the bottom of the bellhousing.  I identify fluids by smell mostly at that point, assuming if it's a manual tranny that it doesn't have engine oil in it.