Gas Tank Leaking

Cherokee tank are completely different and will not fit.

The problem may not be the tank, and may not be the O-ring. Inspect carefully where the two hard lines enter the fuel pump mounting flange. They are brazed or silver soldered or something where they pass through the flange. A fairly common cause of leaks is that this joint cracks with age.

Yes, I have been there. I bought a NEW tank for my '87, installed it, went to fill up with gas ... and washed down the apron around the gas pumps. The moral: eliminate other possible causes BEFORE dropping $150 on a tank, not after.

Thanks for the ideas guys. I haven't poked my eyes under there yet. I just drove it around 'til it stopped leaking.

I'll get under there tomorrow and see whats going on. Today, it was working on the old Mustang day. Ya know, It would be nice to have a day when work on the vehicles isn't needed. Do those kinds of days ever happen? I haven't even washed the truck since I got it going....I'm kinda afraid of what will fall off....

I have the same issue and really need to pull it apart again. Replacing the o-ring did not fix mine. I am pretty sure I know whats going on. Mine is leaking where the fuel line comes through the flange that sets on the o-ring. I found some gas proof goop and fixed it. The problem is that it that there is still flex and the goop cracks. So my understanding is that there is supposed to be a rubber cork in the bottom of the tank holding the weight of the pump.

So short of it is make sure there is a something holding the weight of pump other then the o-ring flange.

Anyone have any leads on a fuel pump? Any other vehicles use this model pump? Can I get just the piping?

:cry:

Unfortunatly, my gas is coming from the frame side. I'm gonna have to pull the tank and see whats going on. The fuel line area is dry as a bone with no evidence of leakage. It would have been so easy...well, except for the rust...

rockhardzj, please explain.

I'm thinking I've got a rust hole. If JB Weld or something similar (any suggestions?) doesn't seal it, I'll be replacing it. There is a salvage yard somewhat near here that has a large selection of Jeeps of all kinds. If there are no Comanches, I'll have to come up with an alternative.

What is it about the Cherokee tanks that renders them unsuitable for a Comanche?

OK, an MJ's tank is long, and mounts on the driver wide, under the bed, between the uniframe and the driveshaft. An XJ's tank is wide, and mounts behind the rear axle.

Essentially, I'm going to either be mounting my XJ tank in the spare tire area, or at least in the front of the bed for the next few weeks, until I can make some more permanent provisions like a fuel cell or something.

rockhardzj, please explain.

I'm thinking I've got a rust hole. If JB Weld or something similar (any suggestions?) doesn't seal it, I'll be replacing it. There is a salvage yard somewhat near here that has a large selection of Jeeps of all kinds. If there are no Comanches, I'll have to come up with an alternative.

What is it about the Cherokee tanks that renders them unsuitable for a Comanche?

your thinking is flawed...ALL of the jeeps will have had their fuel tanks pulled out, at least if the salvage yard is in code. they have to remove fuel tanks to keep the cars there...

I bought a new tank a few yrs ago and it was right at 100 bucks shipped and it came with a new o-ring. Like everyone all ready said eliminate the cheap and easy problems.

There are also 2 styles of tanks... lwb and swb

there are more than that, as the LWB models had two tank options, an 18 gallon and 23 gallon.

:cry:

Unfortunatly, my gas is coming from the frame side. I'm gonna have to pull the tank and see whats going on. The fuel line area is dry as a bone with no evidence of leakage. It would have been so easy...well, except for the rust...

It may be either the rubber fill tube connector, or the smaller rubber vent tube connector.

Well, I filled the tank to 3/4 full a few days ago and thats when it leaked. The truck had been laid up with a broken engine for 2 years. Back then, it was fine.

When I put the gas in just recently, it was the first time since the engine blew that I had that much gas in there. I had been planning to run over to a city 30 miles away so I took the Comanche rather than just let the gas drip out onto the street. When It got down to about 1/2 tank, the leak stopped. So, I don't think it can be either the fill or vent hose.

It'll probably be a couple weeks before I can get the tank out and (hopefully) repair it. A friend has a nice shop with a lift so I plan to work on it over there and he has a couple cars in there now and by the time there's room for me, I'll be off to Nebraska for a couple weeks. This will have to wait a while, meantime I'll keep to 1/2 tank at a time.

OK, an MJ's tank is long, and mounts on the driver wide, under the bed, between the uniframe and the driveshaft. An XJ's tank is wide, and mounts behind the rear axle.

Essentially, I'm going to either be mounting my XJ tank in the spare tire area, or at least in the front of the bed for the next few weeks, until I can make some more permanent provisions like a fuel cell or something.

If you plan on wheeling putting the tank where the spare tire goes will greatly reduce your fuel capacity :brows: CVause you will cause nice big dents :nanner:

Thanks JeeperJohn. I was going to try the screw and rubber washer method first.

Gotta get the tank out before I'll know what the damage to the tank is. I have 1/2 tank of gas to burn first. By then, I'll be heading to Nebraska for work. Probably be there for a week or two. Then I can get to work on the tank, IF I don't get sent to North Dakota right away. That job looks like about a month and a half. It might be sometime in Sept before I can do it.

Of course, with all the out-of-state work, I'll have plenty of money to just buy a new tank. 8)