Belt squeal

My serpentine belt only starts to squeal when the engine reaches around 150° or around operating temp. I put a brand new belt on it a couple days ago and it still does it. The belt was a gates so it wasnt to cheap. It starts off quiet then gets worse as I keep driving

Is there anything you ( or anyone else) could have done recently to cause one of the pulleys to have been bent or been installed out of alignment? I have a similar problem and it turns out I had bent my power steering pump pulley when reassembling the front end of my engine. You can also pin point where the noise is coming from with a mechanics stethoscope, they're available at any of the big chain auto parts stores.

Is there anything you ( or anyone else) could have done recently to cause one of the pulleys to have been bent or been installed out of alignment? I have a similar problem and it turns out I had bent my power steering pump pulley when reassembling the front end of my engine. You can also pin point where the noise is coming from with a mechanics stethoscope, they're available at any of the big chain auto parts stores.

Not that I can recall, I cleaned the idle puller when I replaced the belt but it did the same thing before I did anything

Is it a constant squeal once the sound starts? Or a chirping noise? Does the sound seem to happen at a set interval while the engine is idling? Does it get better or worse when you give it gas?

Once it starts its constant, it will happen as soon as I hit operating temp, 140-180°ish. It gets louder as I give it gas and the more I drive it the louder it squeaks. It evently will stop at a certain pitch of squeal

I'd probably start by getting an automotive stethoscope and checking to see if it's predominantly coming from one pulley or the other.

If you don't have a stethoscope, run it up to temperature then turn it off, take the belt off, and check that all the pulleys spin freely. Also, ensure that the harmonic balancer pulley isn't starting to separate.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

...and the belt is tight enough??

The Krikit II spec I've heard is something like 165 on a new belt...and 185 on a used belt...and a used belt is considered used as soon as you install it and run it around the block.  You may have just not RE-tightened it enough.  My belt is always rock hard and haven't hurt any components. 

My belt spec is rock hard  :thumbsup:  

...and the belt is tight enough??

The Krikit II spec I've heard is something like 165 on a new belt...and 185 on a used belt...and a used belt is considered used as soon as you install it and run it around the block.  You may have just not RE-tightened it enough.  My belt is always rock hard and haven't hurt any components. 

My belt spec is rock hard  :thumbsup:  

Use this to check the spec. Had the same problem. Just needed to tighten the belt.

http://www.daycoproducts.com/dayco%C2%AE-belt-tension-gauges

to tell if its a bearing or belt issue you can spray water on the belt. if it stops its a belt squeal, if its a bearing It will continue.

I also have a squeal and when I put water on the belt it stops. So does that mean either I need a new belt or I need to check and see if it is tight enough.

to tell if its a bearing or belt issue you can spray water on the belt. if it stops its a belt squeal, if its a bearing It will continue.

I also have a squeal and when I put water on the belt it stops. So does that mean either I need a new belt or I need to check and see if it is tight enough.

yes,    alternatively my old XJ has a squeal that was incurable, even after multiple belts.    I found a squirt of tire shine on the running belt would keep squeaks away for atleast a month or so.

• 1 month later...

Agree with ParadiseMJ, rock hard. Belt dressing just seemed to eat away the belt and leave deposits on the idler pulley. Ended up buying another new belt, cleaning all the rubber goo off the pulley, and tightening the crap out of it. I only ever had squeeling with a new belt that one time over the years.

Anyone what to buy a can of belt dressing? Hardly used. Can't get any takers for 25 cents at garage sales. Next time I'll put it on the Free table and see if it disappears.

yes,    alternatively my old XJ has a squeal that was incurable, even after multiple belts.    I found a squirt of tire shine on the running belt would keep squeaks away for atleast a month or so.

If you've verified it's a belt issue with the water test, and verified your belt is in good condition, and properly tensioned, then it's most likely that your pulleys are out of alignment. The water test can help you identify which pulley is the culprit. It could be bent, or running off balance due to bearing wear.

In my case, the previous owner had replaced the harmonic balancer and idler with aftermarket parts. Neither was in proper alignment with the power steering pump, which was where the belt chirp was coming from. The PS pulley on the 4.0HO isn't fixed in place with screws, it's just pressed onto the shaft. So, I rented a pulley puller kit from Autozone and was able to adjust adjust the position of the pulley on the shaft by about a millimeter.

Chirp cured.