Renix Engine Monitor scan tool

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When will you have more in stock?

REM Sale #3 should hopefully be ready in late April, just using some free time to play with a few different ideas before the next run.

I announce sale times on my facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/nickintimefilms/and sell through Ebay and Etsy.

I've got DIY kits up for people that can solder too: https://www.etsy.com/listing/508624660/renix-engine-monitor-plus-v3-jeep-scan

Having played with microcontrollers and serial links before, would you say that the method can be adapted to an RS232 serial link to a computer? 

EDIT: Also, if you had a wire to tie into the fuel level sender, would you be able to read the resistance to give a 'miles to empty' reading? I have half a mind to stuff one of these in an XJ overhead console with a compass to replicate the functionality the console originally had.

Having played with microcontrollers and serial links before, would you say that the method can be adapted to an RS232 serial link to a computer? 

EDIT: Also, if you had a wire to tie into the fuel level sender, would you be able to read the resistance to give a 'miles to empty' reading? I have half a mind to stuff one of these in an XJ overhead console with a compass to replicate the functionality the console originally had.

Hmmm, I like the way you think. I know that a serial RS232 circuit has been discussed on some russian forums before but I haven't dabbled into that yet. I use the Arduinos' built in serial chip to send info through a usb com port and it reads in just fine.

As for the fuel sender, that should be theoretically possible. I actually tapped into the Oil Pressure sender and mapped out the values to read that in digitally. I just used the voltage division already done by the gauge and read that into an analog pin through a voltage divider. Funny thing though, the voltage actually changes based off if the engine is running or not so I just tuned it for running. Haven't tried making a separate divider to read it by itself yet though.

Just remember that float is going to move around a lot while driving so it would be a good idea to have a long running average. My plan for Distance till Empty is to estimate fuel consumption based off the injectors; already got a basic GPH/MPG reading built into the REM but I need more space to do Distance, tracking, correction, and all that fun stuff. 

Compass and other sensors are easy too, either find a basic resistance based one piped to an analog pin or get fancy and use a serial style like SPI or i2c to pipe the info in that way. These little micros are super powerful, but I've pretty well tapped out the Atmel chips so I'm gonna move up to the Teensy boards for the next big upgrade.

Great to hear. I was in goodwill recently and saw a Toshiba T3100 that still worked, thought about cooking up a DOS version of the software for a more 'period correct' diagnosis experience. 

Phil Andrews made a simple program that sent commands to a vt100 style terminal program to make a cool little readout on his computer. His initial work is what actually got me started in the first place. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

A big shout out and a THANK YOU to Nick at @nickintimefilms!

I was trying to apply the software update for my REM from 2016.  I was trying to follow the instruction on his website to install the upgrade.  I am not a computer guy.  All my efforts were unsuccessful.  I was emailing Nick with question and he was responding (Thanks again, Nick!).  After several (ignorant?) attempts, I sent my REM back to Nick.  He installed the most up to date software for me.  Now my REM is running the most up to date software.

Any MJ or XJ owner with a Renix (87-90) has to buy the REM from Nickintimedesign in order to see/monitor how their engine is running.

Thanks again, Nick.

I second the REM as a must have item for any renix owner. I’ve been diagnosing some issues with my truck idling and I can’t imagine how much more stressful it would have been without this device. If you’re on the fence, just buy it. It’ll save time, money and headaches. Thanks a million Nick, you’re awesome. 

• 1 month later...
On 1/24/2021 at 9:08 AM, PhilisDiller said:

I second the REM as a must have item for any renix owner. I’ve been diagnosing some issues with my truck idling and I can’t imagine how much more stressful it would have been without this device. If you’re on the fence, just buy it. It’ll save time, money and headaches. Thanks a million Nick, you’re awesome. 

Took your advice, just arrived yesterday. Can’t wait to get it installed to see what’s going on behind the scenes in Renix world. Thanks especially to Nick. Most of this tech is way over my head and for a kid growing up in the 80s the idea of 3D printing alone still blows my mind. This REM is amazing and he should be proud of himself. 

• 1 year later...