Fuel Tank J Bolts

Does anyone know if the J bolts that the fuel tank straps attach to are available?  Or if not the 'OEM' ones, a generic that will fit?

I'm going to order a tank, and probably the straps, and it looks like the bolts will likely break.  Last time that happened I wound up welding up new ones, would rather save the time and effort if I can just order them.

ACE hardware is where I got mine.  Not stock, not stainless, but holding up well after 7 years.  About $3.00 each.

A search for "J-bolts" or "J bolts" on the ACE Hardware web site comes up blank. Do you remember what they were called? Do the ACE bolts have a flat, button head?

Wow, way more expensive than I would have hoped.  Slightly cheaper on Rockauto (you have to search the P/N to find it), but still expensive.

No generics?  Dorman Help! line or anything?

I had done a quick search on Rockauto, but did not see J bolts with fuel tanks, etc.  So, I went to Morris, just for the part no. 

ACE hardware is where I got mine.  Not stock, not stainless, but holding up well after 7 years.  About $3.00 each.

A search for "J-bolts" or "J bolts" on the ACE Hardware web site comes up blank. Do you remember what they were called? Do the ACE bolts have a flat, button head?

No button head.  I just went in and looked in the hardware section.  There were also j-bolts holding down my cross bed tool box.  They're nothing fancy...I suppose if someone wanted to bend a carriage bolt that would take care of the button head.  But they hold the tank securely as is.  The originals I took out were trashed, rusty. 

I supposed stainless would be a good idea up if rust was an issue in your area.

• 2 years later...

Re

On 11/28/2016 at 10:27 AM, ParadiseMJ said:

No button head.  I just went in and looked in the hardware section.  There were also j-bolts holding down my cross bed tool box.  They're nothing fancy...I suppose if someone wanted to bend a carriage bolt that would take care of the button head.  But they hold the tank securely as is.  The originals I took out were trashed, rusty. 

I supposed stainless would be a good idea up if rust was an issue in your area.

Reviving an old thread since I'm about to order a new tank and don't have confidence my existing bolts will come off easy and be reusable. 

Paradise, to confirm did you just use J bolts then? 

9 minutes ago, Big Dan said:

Found it now.  GOODMARK GMK2111749681     

Its from 70s dodge/Plymouth vehicles.  I got mine, originally, off of rock auto.  However, it looks like they're out of stock right now.  Summit racing has them.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/gmk-2111-749-681

Awesome..........thanks for the quick reply! I had literally just ordered new rollover vent valves and grommets from Summit and was able to add these to my order. $12!

2 hours ago, WahooSteeler said:

Awesome..........thanks for the quick reply! I had literally just ordered new rollover vent valves and grommets from Summit and was able to add these to my order. $12!

What's the P/N for the grommet?  Or did they come with them?  I'm probably going to need a couple.