Where to shop for a rebuilt AX15 transmission?

I will be looking for a late AX15 for the MJ diesel later this month.  Thinking best to just bey a rebuilt AX15 with the external slave, rather than use the current AX5 and have to replace it down the road. 

Question is where is the best place to buy a rebuilt AX15?  Any experience or places NOT to go?

Thanks,

Craigslist.

If a single trans appears too expensive, look for a parts vehicle with an AX15 trans.  You'll want a 94 to 01 XJ that has a 4.0.

A YJ/TJ from that era will have the AX15, but the tcase clocking will be different.

The 00 and 01 XJ's have the NV3550, so a 94 to 99 will have the right ax15.

But I agree with just getting a junkyard trans,  Mine has held up for almost 10 years.

Thx.

I did not know when the trans change occurred. 

I wish AX-15's were more common around here... I've been searching for over a year and haven't found a single good one. Most have been upwards of 600$ transmission only with no guarantee of full function. I'm actually considering buying a parts cherokee and swapping axles and automatic transmission in from it because I love my auto MJ and auto XJ's are sold for parts around here all the time.

Knuckle,

I don't know your location compared to Huntsville (certainly closer than Frederick, MD).

https://bham.craigslist.org/cto/5701168490.html

I found this 98 XJ on CL in Huntsville. Possible parts vehicle: 4.0 with a manual!

(Edit: does not say if it is 2wd or 4wd. need to ask.)

of course one pops up when I'm broke from saving to drop about 500$ more into my axles...

For what it's worth, I got my AX-15 from a company I found on e-bay.  They are based out of Colorado, but I can't remember the name for the life of me.  I got the bellhousing, fork, and everything else from the local JY, and the trans was about $700.  Pricey, but worth it to me knowing the condition of my trans.  It's been going strong with no problems to speak of.

For what it's worth, I got my AX-15 from a company I found on e-bay. They are based out of Colorado, but I can't remember the name for the life of me. I got the bellhousing, fork, and everything else from the local JY, and the trans was about $700. Pricey, but worth it to me knowing the condition of my trans. It's been going strong with no problems to speak of.

I'm honestly considering doing the same. The MJ I need one forbis in pretty rough condition with 225k on it. So chances are I'll wait until I get promoted a couple more times at work and then drop the cash to put a rebuilt everything in it and start completely over.

I have put a 100k on my 130k 98 AX15 and it still is going strong. Original AX15 went 340k.

Don't rest your hand on the shifter when you are driving. That wears parts out.

Also no heavy shift knobs like the rocks or hand grenades that they sell.

• 2 months later...

JY tranny and rebuild it. Doesn't matter 2 or 4wd, there's an outfit in San Antonio that sells new mainshafts for $130 and a rebuild kit on amazon was $150 with synchros. All you need is a press and a few hand tools, I can get you the links for it from various websites.

So far I've invested $300 in my rebuild and $130 of that is because I'm a dumba$$ and managed to crack my mainshaft by not looking where I put my bearing splitter.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

$800 for my rebuilt trans (If you include shipping). $40 for the bellhousing and clutch "fork", $80 for my transfer case (Another $15 to clean it up and re-seal it) and $100 for the pre-bled clutch master and slave combo.  Maybe $1100 into it for the complete swap.

Then to be spendy I bought a Hurst shifter for it, but it wasn't necessary.  even with that I am still in it less than that...