New from Nebraska

Reddout

Allpar.com has some decent info, including some comments from engineers who worked for Jeep back when the MJ was still in production.

I have a '91 so I may be biased, but it seems a lot less complicated to diagnose faults than the Renix Jeeps. I also have an appreciation for it not having to retune itself every single time it's turned on. The difference in hp isn't really going to be noticeable on the butt-dyno, but most 25-year-old trucks aren't going to be making the factory figures any more anyhow.

I'd say more important than anything else would be finding a truck with a body in great shape. Almost all the mechanical parts are interchangeable with the XJ and so are pretty readily available, but MJ-specific body parts will have you doing some serious junkyard diving.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, the 1991s and 1992s are across the board better than earlier models. Better parts availability, less wacky French stupidity, more reliable. Rustproofing didn't get any better, though. All other rust and body related concerns are still valid but HO models just work better. My 91 and 89 seem about as powerful as each other in town but the 91 can use its power much better on account of its 3.55 gears. The 91's engine is also in much better shape than the 89's and the 91 is automatic while the 89 is a 5-speed, so not really a valid comparison, just an anecdote. Do keep in mind that all 4.0/manual trucks got 3.07 gears from the factory, which are fine in the city but HORRIBLE on the highway.

Allpar.com has some decent info, including some comments from engineers who worked for Jeep back when the MJ was still in production.

I have a '91 so I may be biased, but it seems a lot less complicated to diagnose faults than the Renix Jeeps. I also have an appreciation for it not having to retune itself every single time it's turned on. The difference in hp isn't really going to be noticeable on the butt-dyno, but most 25-year-old trucks aren't going to be making the factory figures any more anyhow.

I'd say more important than anything else would be finding a truck with a body in great shape. Almost all the mechanical parts are interchangeable with the XJ and so are pretty readily available, but MJ-specific body parts will have you doing some serious junkyard diving.

Thanks for the new source for info.  As I look at ads, I'd say 95% have some level of rust & rust repairs done.  Based on info here, I have an idea where to look for telltale signs.

Yes, the 1991s and 1992s are across the board better than earlier models. Better parts availability, less wacky French stupidity, more reliable. Rustproofing didn't get any better, though. All other rust and body related concerns are still valid but HO models just work better. My 91 and 89 seem about as powerful as each other in town but the 91 can use its power much better on account of its 3.55 gears. The 91's engine is also in much better shape than the 89's, so not really a valid comparison, just an anecdote.

Thanks, Minuit.  The more research I do, and info I get here, I will now narrow my search options.

Really appreciate all the help.

-Bob

I can't believe I just now saw this. Greetings fellow Husker!

Good luck finding a Comanche around here for cheap in good shape.  Mine isn't even perfect, but it's relatively much better than most of the one's I see go up for sale around here.  If you are willing to travel a bit then keep an eye on Kansas, because I have seen more than a few decent trucks pop up over there in the last year or so.

The system has been around for quite a while so there is lots of info on it, many here have modified and/or improved the system. So it is a matter a familiarity that builds that confidence in one system or another. If I get impatient and do not find a '91 and find a nice older model I may just be in the Renix family too.

Mine is a Renix, and while they can be a pain in the butt sometimes, it's mostly because of their age.  A lot of the renix issues are sensor/wiring related and all relatively easy fixes.  Put in the time to do it right when you repair things, and you should have a good truck for a while.

Looks like a pretty nice long bed for the money and has some cash put into it.  Maybe offer him 2k and go from there, but for around these parts it's not a bad deal.  Water pumps are cheap and easy to do on these.  I would definitely inquire about the floors. My truck is pretty rust free, but even I have a hole in the floor.

Thanks man.  I was looking for a short bed primarily to fit in my garage.  I'd like to look at it though.  Just so I can sit in one and get a feel for them.  If you were the person I talked to at the corner gas station on 108th a month or so ago when I was filling up the company car, that is the closest I have gotten to one in nice shape.

Coincidentally, there is a short bed in my neighborhood that's pretty damn rusty that I walk by probably everyday.  That one actually reminded me of how cool they are.

Haven't had the opportunity to see the owner outside to talk to them yet.

I don't trust that truck as being rust free.  Well, it might not have any rust on it now, but I bet they wire wheeled the rust off the lower quarters before they put that liner on it...  Hopefully they did it right or it will still bubble through.

That said, it looks solid to me and I'm thinking if you got it for $2k it would be good.  Be prepared to spend some time learning what's happened with the swap in it, nothing like trying to get a wear part and not knowing which year/model you need.

I contacted him for more pics.  He's out of town now but said he would when he gets back tonight.  I asked for engine bay & interior shots.  If I do drive out to see it, I'll have a list of questions.  Mostly  tips from members here

• 3 weeks later...

Question on 89 Comanche

I had seen the CL ad for this '89 a couple months ago but the pics were in dim light and it was parked up against the side of his house so I couldn't get a good feel for it.  I asked my 2 typical questions about rust & functioning AC (it is stupid hot & humid out here today)  and he said all was well.

I guess he wasn't getting much action on that ad and posted this new one with much, much better pics - and he even cleaned up his interior!  My max budget has always been at $4K unfortunately.  But like I said the ad has been up, in 2 forms, for a while.

What are your thoughts on this?  Looks to be a pretty solid stock Comanche which is what I would prefer.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/5696514372.html

Thanks

Glancing over it my first question would be is there a bunch of bondo/repaint/collision damage at the back of the cab and front of the bed, just because the rubber trim bumper stuff is missing.

Otherwise, looks pretty clean.  See if it has a Peugeot tranny or not, price should come down if it's the Peugeot IMHO.  And I'm guessing he spent money on replacement stock injectors, too bad.  See what type of header he put on it too, some of them are absolute garbage.