Noob saying Hi.

SiXJaK

Hi all. Currently own a 2012 gecko rubi and a 2008 4.7 Commander. For some inexplicable reason, I've been bitten by the Comanche bug and am looking to purchase. Quickly discovered that these trucks are kinda scarce. i prefer the long box over the short box but will definitely pull the trigger on anything that's reasonably clean and straight. Am looking for a 4.0 preferably 4x4 and don't care about tranny whether it's auto or manual. What are the known red flags on these rigs and what are the positives? and am I even asking the right questions? Looking forward to learning more about these rigs.

Long beds are easier to find, at least from what I have noticed.  The floors are definitely the most notorious issue with them, but it doesn't hurt to check the frame right behind the cab either. Wheel wells on the bed tend to rust out a bit at the flares, but this is easy to check too.   If you don't live in the rust belt, then obviously it will be less of a concern

Welcome to the forum and the addiction, depending on where you live you will want to look for rust. There's tons of support here from some very knowledgeable members that have been around the hobby for a very long time as well as the similarities between the XJ so what ever the issue(s) might be there's a big chance it can be fixed.

Thanks for your input. Much appreciated. Looking forward to lurking around here and gleaning as much info as I can. Gotta sell a Silverado and a Lexus first lol so sez the missus. Kids are growing up and leaving the nest as it were. There's some pretty cool builds here.

• 3 weeks later...

"1988 Jeep Comanche

condition: excellent

cylinders: 6 cylinders

drive: 4wd

fuel: gas

odometer: 148000

paint color: grey

title status: clean

transmission: manual

This is about the rarest Comanche you can find. If you are looking at this add you know you are looking at a true unicorn. Grab this before the new Jeep pickup Truck comes out and Comanches Sky rocket in price

Metric ton 4x4 Long bed

Dana44

4.0 inline 6

Ax15 5spd

New stereo

New exhaust

New cap rotor and plugs

New high performance air filter

CLEAN interior

New window rubber and felt from classic jeeps.

Rear sliding window factory and Leer top.

Brand New Goodyear wrangler tires less than 100 miles.

I have receipts for everything.

I put the new tires on Canyon wheels for a better offset and look. I still have the mint condition stock wheels In my garage with mint trim rings.

Needs nothing. Completely stock . Excellent runner. Goes to Cali and back.

A true Gem. I would NEVER sell ......."yada yada yada

Thots? Is this hype? Is it too much to pay for this vehicle?

I'm not sure how to post pics. He's asking 7k. Claims there is no rust and pics and vid clips seem to validate. Body is extremely straight. I'm just not sure about spending 7k and having little left over to do lift and tires. Don't want a POS that's rougher than blazes either.

What is a unicorn? Turbo diesel?

I guess.  I turned down buying one because they seem to just be a PITA.  The one I was haggling on probably had a cracked head.

There was a fair number of Metric Tons made over the years, so they aren't really that rare, especially not with a 4L/5spd.  The rarest of the trucks are ones with oddball factory options like the hidden winch, or very limited production colours/decals, especially if they're also a metric ton and/or diesel.  Not that it means you should be paying a lot more for something like that, as just because its rare doesn't mean it's good or collectable.

I don't know what to tell you, the price seems a little steep, but I've never bought a clean MJ.

• 4 weeks later...

Update: traded my 04 SC'd RCSB Silverado for a pretty clean 2000 SLP Camaro SS. Red TTops SLP dual tip exhaust 6MT. 108,xxx miles. AC needs fixing. I figure I can sale this easier than my truck. So in my mind, I guess I'm a bit closer to getting my Comanche. On a positive note, the SS is a riot. I'll fix the few issues and try and sell it for 10k or if the planets align and some Comanche owner is looking for a trade.

If you do end up getting 10k to spend, that'll get you one hell of a Comanche once the right one comes along. Other than rust in the floors, rocker panels, and rear of the bed (problems for all model years), 87-90 models are prone to electrical problems (mostly ground related) and will need some fixes to bring them up to 100% if not done previously. 91s and 92s are much more solid in this regard.

It seems like you know what you're doing but make sure to check all of the obvious stuff too. Leaks, engine noises, etc. Get it up to a decent speed and hit different bumps to check for death wobble (my 89 triggers death wobble hitting bumps with the steering loaded up at more than 60mph, for example. Its track bar is in very bad shape) That indicates worn front suspension parts. If it happens unexpectedly you'll know when it happens and you'll probably remember it the rest of your life. Once again, all model years are susceptible.

If you're looking at one with a manual transmission, check the fuse box under the dash. Make sure the fuses are strongly retained inside the fusebox. They should be difficult to pull out and should not wiggle even slightly. If they pull out easily or wiggle that's a sure sign the fusebox is damaged. The clutch master cylinders like to leak and they're directly above where the wiring harness goes inside the cab. I'm dealing with this right now on my 89 and none of the options to fix it are pretty.

If you're planning on spending that much, you're best off avoiding the 1986 model year completely unless the 2.8 V6 has been replaced with a real engine or if you're feeling lucky and go for the extremely rare 2.1 diesel. I'm assuming you don't want a 4 banger.