Immediate Advice Needed!(NOW WITH PICS)

Kenosha Warrior

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How badly do you want a 1953 Willys pickup? That's the ONLY criterion.

I enjoy looking at them ... when other people own them. I love my Cherokees and Comanches, but there's no way I'd actually BUY one of those old Willys things. I've driven them.

Rust is on the bed, back at the rear near the taillight, where the bed floor meets the sidewall.

Some dents in the fenders and a few small surface spots on the floor and fenders. Its in goood damn shape.

I was thinking start around 1800 but 1750 will work.

They're leaf sprung on all corners. Have a soft frame. Have poorly designed steering. Have an amemic engine. Have horrible brakes. Etc...

If a guy wants to put the time into them, they can be made to drive nice. 4wd or 2wd. I saw one at the 'rod lot the other day. It was chopped, had a 302 in it, and mustang II suspension with a chrysler 8.75 rear. It was pretty hot if you asked me.

Basically, it's all about how bad you want it, and if it really is the right one for you.

My two cents echos some of the others.

Depends on how much ya want it.

My Friend's father had a 1963 Willies Pickup truck, that he bought new, for his business. his son sorta took it over when the old man got a chevy in the 70's

So I've ridden in one ALOT.

We used to 4wheel the hell outa that thing back in the 70s, hell I've got a photo arround here somewhere, I'll have to find it and scann it.

They are Realy cool trucks that are head turners, and great conversation items. But not daily drivers.

If you are gonna make it a project truck and "hop it up" well then jamminz.gif , prolly cost ya some $$$, and most likely alot of time.

Is it realy worth it to go into debt, with the prospect of having to spend more $$ and time, before you see any real return for your investment?

Thats something you'll have to weigh.

its complete and there. It'd be a bush-buggy only. thats why I'm digging the winch and 3spd.

Spoke w/ the owner today, it may have the 230 OHC six. T-15 3spd. Dana20 t-case

Its a 1958 Willys Pickup. The front end looks like the 'Wicked Willys' off the TV show Trucks that Stacey did up. CJ style headlights.

Ive wanted one forever. its the whole 'I love CJ's but I want a truck' sort of deal. If I got my chance at a scrambler it'd be the same situation.

At 18 years old, a $3000 loan would build my credit nicely seeing as I have a steady, well paying job. If I can get it for $1800-$2200 that leaves the rest of the money to get stuff put on it. Brakes, tires and a good wash. Its in amazing shape and the frame is spotless as far as I can see. I'm going to make a meeting with the owner this weekend and once-over it bigtime.

My 'manche would stay as DD. This would be a weekend cruiser. They are rare little trucks and a weekend cruiser/weekend wheeler would be good. Id definately lift it and stick a 4.2L in there eventually.

Well if you want an old truck thats alot like a CJ/scrambler, you've made the correct pick!

Building up your credit with a small loan dosen't hurt either.

I had a 1981 CJ8 Scrambler, and I can tell you that the dashboard instruments were almost identical to what was in the 1963 Willys pickup truck!

Tis a very easy design to work with, but a truck that old is likely to have plenty of bolts/nuts that rae rusted stuck!

Your Young so you have more time then most so GO FOR IT! jamminz.gif

Offer the guy like $2000 he'll prolly jump at it.

OH yeah forgot to say, I hope it's got the 6 cylinder in it. your gonna want the power, the 4 is just under powered for that vehicle In My opinion.

Good luck!

i say if you like and want it then buy it, and who cares what everyone else thinks. thats what i do, of course sometimes it bites me in the a** when i get a piece of junk thinking i can fix it easy and it turns out to be a lot more work.

lets see some pics if you do get it :D

its also a jeep thing too.

I own an MJ, the last of the jeep pickups. why not own the first of them?

Any which way, I'm still thinking about it myself. I know Ill end up kicking myself if I miss this. Its one of those deals you think about forever if you don't buy it.

theres a 48 or 49 willy's cj-2a around here for sale. The dude is also selling his CJ-7, unless one, or both sold between when I worked last, and now (about a week)...

I can get you the info if you want it.

Went and pawed over it for an hour.

10 leaves for the front pack, didn't get a look at the back.

Hurricane 6cyl with the head casting number 245547

the distrib is on the top of the motor so its definately the OHC. ign coil is new. Needs wipers but I can handle that.

Frame is as solid as a rock, theres a few spots where it can use some TLC and definately needs to be stripped of paint, maaajorly. Other than that its com-freakin-plete.

tomorrow!

I'm at my girl's house and her sister has the digicam.

Stopped at a house that has a j-10 sitting in the driveway all the time.

Met the coolest senior ever.

grandpa Jeep of the Hastings County Off roaders. His collection (pics soon too)

1979 CJ-7 304cid,205/Dana20 doubler, D60-2 rear with Detroit and 4.11's and a D44 fullsize front with a lokrite. Extended 10" with a t-18 4spd.

1981 j-10 360/TF727. Laredo package, insanely complete. Muscle grille

1976/79 j-10 Golden Eagle. T-176/208 44's frnt/rear

1954 Willys pickup. F-head 4cyl, 3spd.

3 CJ 5's complete, all 304 4spd rigs.

His hobby since 1955 :D Told me to get that Willys and never let go of it.

Pictures will arrive at approx. 10:30pm est.

It runs. The seller is a contractor. Was going to knock down a tree to take out a shed but decided to see what was in it. This 1957 Willy's Jeep. Didn't run. He was going to cut it to snot and use it as a bush buggy. Brakes, clutch, everything works perfectly EXCEPT it wouldn't run. He took it to a restorer in another local town, and he told the seller point blank. You ruin this and alot of people will want to kill you. New points, condenser, coil and wires makes this little SuperHurricane run, but really rough. Needs new sparkplugs baaaadly, misfiring. 60143 km's with the 3spd/d20/PTO/spicer 23/spicer25 axles. Gearing should be 3.73's. Test deive this weekend. Seller is going to leave the keys and battery in it so I can go work with it this weekend with Steph. Bodywork is all it needs, its nuts. Been on the road plated since 1981 and off the road since 1991. 10 years of road driving, 1957-1980 was spent as a sunday vehicle only, driving 25km from a farm to church. Original owner died, gave it to his son, son plated it and drove it till 1991 and then he died. Nephew got it and kept it in a barn till 2 weeks ago.

Seller has no clue what it is, what its worth or anything. Wants it outta his driveway (or off the side of his lawn) $3000 obo so I'm offering $2000 and max'ing at $2500 if I reeeeely want it. Its there, I want it bad, but my girlfriends dad is co-signing my loan to buy it, letting me keep it in his garage and work on it there. (JeepCoMJ, Steph nearly poo'ed herself when I told her what her dad said)

Its getting triple'd-over. Magnet-check the frame, drive it, engage everything (Anyone know how to operate the PTO winch?)

Wish me luck, I may have a new Jeep. Its worth every bit of my time, as its as solid as a brick craphouse.

That is awesome! For sitting arround looks like the body is in pretty good shape.

If you don't buy it I will track you down and beat you!

Not sure though what year it is from the pictures, the dash board and interior of the door look a little different then I rember my friends old 63 truck, but alzhiemers could be setting in a little early on me.

Also as I recall it was either 1962 or 1963 that they finaly put a one piece windshield in these.

Maybe the windshield was replaced at some point?

Main problems with these old Willys is they rot our in the cab floor if the cab and rockers are solid, you'ld be foolish to pass it by.

Also I believe that when Kaiser started making the Gladiators, you could purchase one with what was know as the Thrift side bed, which is what is on that one. so if you needed a new bed, you might keep that in mind.

Those Thriftside beds are real easy to work on though.

I notice that you are missing the 4wheeldrive emblem from the hood.

I might be able to help you out with that, My buddy still has his 63, but he has some grand scheme of restoring it someday. But I know for a fact that he has some spare parts arround, let me see what he might be willing to part with.

As for the PTO whinch let me check the service manual I have on the old gladiators, maybe they mention something,,