Diesel options?

Hey,

I've read all about the 3.4L swap, but does anyone know of a reasonable diesel swap for the comanche? Here in Seattle we've got two new biodiesel refineries and it would be seriously cool to run a biodiesel rig. (It's getting to be a common thing out here.)

Thanks!

Hey,

I've read all about the 3.4L swap, but does anyone know of a reasonable diesel swap for the comanche? Here in Seattle we've got two new biodiesel refineries and it would be seriously cool to run a biodiesel rig. (It's getting to be a common thing out here.)

Thanks!

something out of a nissan or a toyota.

cummins would work but are heavy.

Renault 2.1 fits, and if you find a cherokee optioned with this engine you can install it. however, parts are scarce and expensive, and upkeep is a b*tch. the air filter requires cross-referencing, and you should have a spare starter as the pari one brakes down all the time...no other options on starters sadly.

I own one with the renault TD 2.1, and while I love it, I can hardly say it's for your average person.

Find a wrecked Liberty with the CRD. :D

That would be perfect, but I take it such a find would be rare?

So maybe a toyota then. Thanks!

If your not in California, or NY, then your chances will improve greatly.

Finding a Diesel motor in a Yota pickup in the US seems as rare as finding one in an XJ, or even more rare.

VW swaps are gaining popularity. I wish I knew the name of the forum that is all about diesel swaps. It's like TDIswap or something like that. I dunno.

I sure had good luck with the Isuzu diesel in their small truck several years ago. The company I worked for had 5 of them. Acceleration was slow, but it didn't matter if the truck was empty or at max load. 45 MPG too.

A few good ones have been mentioned.

Stay away from the toyota one. It's a pile, IMHO. Actually, that's pretty much how I feel about toyotas in general.

Nissan offers a nice little unit in some of their horrible trucks. I've seen one in an XJ.

Isuzu makes a couple. The larger (good) one is rare other than out of service trucks. Which can be found. The smaller one came in the mini-trucks and some troopers perhaps. Honestly, if you want one of the smaller ones, buy an Isuzu pickup. They're actually decent trucks other than the IFS.

Cummins makes a 3.3L engine that should fit. Chevy bellhousing pattern. Should be easy, but you won't find one in the boneyard.

And the volkswagon one is actually pretty decent, and can be mated up really easily. I've heard of them in suzukis, so they'll fit a jeep no problemo.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd go with the Toyota diesel 2LT (turbo) with an auto or stick (auto is a version of the AW4 which should work with just a bellhousing and converter swap) I was looking at a Peugeot diesel too because of the BA 10/5 trans

Here's a thread talking about a Cummins 4bt in an MJ (sounds like a lot of expense/trouble, but it can be done):

Link

From what I've read, Cummins 4bts and 3.3 were used in a lot of delivery trucks & bread wagons, and some shuttle buses. So while it'd require a lot of hunting, you can find 'em in junkyards.

And here's a forum that has tons of info on Diesel swaps in general:

Diesel Page Forums

I have a full-size J20 with a very tired 401 in it. I'm currently gathering parts and searching for a suitable donor so I can go with the GM 6.2/6.5 diesel swap and turn it into a fry-burner. For the big truck, it makes tons of sense - the 6.2 and parts are readily available, everything is pretty much bolt-in, and people who have done the swap are reporting average mpg's in the mid-20's while still being able to work it like a full-sized truck should be.

From what I've checked out, the 6.2/6.5 shares all the same mounts/dimensions, bellhousing with a SBC, and is about 200lbs heavier. I've seen people dropping SBC's into MJ's and XJ's - so I'd think 6.2 into a MJ would be possible as well - but IMO that's a lot of work/expense and extra weight in the front to deal with. So unless you're just truly a diesel fan, I don't think it'd be worth it.

Depends on if you're looking purely for mpg or the ability to home-brew your own fuel.

I have a 2.5L 4sp MJ that I use as my DD. I've found that as long as I keep the engine well-maintained and drive with a light foot, I'm already at 30mpg in mixed driving. At one point I considered a diesel swap for the MJ, but decided that after the expense of finding a suitable donor and the conversion work, any savings from increased mpg and the cost difference in diesel would be years down the road.

If you have a source for military surplus there was a version of the 6.2 available with an alluminum block and a special oil system that allowed it to run upside down........ I think the military used them in some blazers and gamma-goats