My new 1987 Jeep Comanche

Jtrux

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

bc7b650ad467f9885fd02db5c1968ccc.jpg

Had some time today to look at the leak on the sending unit. The push washers are kind of a PITA so this is how I managed to get it seated nice and snug.

That's a 9/16 socket and a 4" C clamp. Didn't go crazy but got the O ring compressed and the push washer is well seated on to the wire grommet thing.

Let's hope it doesn't leak.

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Finally pulled the MJ into the garage since it is cooling down somewhat (80's today...lol).

Not sure where to start exactly.  Thinking that I will drain all the fluid and pull the drivetrain.  Once that's out of the way, I'll pull the interior out (using XJ interior) and replace floors.  Should be easier with the tranny/xfercase out of the way.  

The next step is a complicated one.  I want to replace windshield and back glass gaskets and probably the windshield since there is a slight crack and I'd rather just be done with it BUT that's also a good opportunity to get the thing painted.  

Lots to decide at that point.  Do I want to paint it?  If I do, what color?  If I choose a different color other than what it already is, do I paint the firewall and all that crap the same or just do the engine compartment black.  Bla bla bla bla Lots to think about it.

• 2 years later...
  • 10 months later...

Soooo, I am terrible at body work. I gave it the ol' college try and failed. In my defense, I work on it for an hour at a time and don't have a very good area to work in, so it makes doing detailed body work a little difficult. Coupled with the fact that I'm just not good at it.  

Anyways, I have reached out for some quotes on finishing it.  

Here's my current conundrum: do I get the whole thing painted after the rockers and floors are replaced or do I just have the guy shoot the areas that are seen and match it the best he can?

I'm leaning towards getting the whole thing painted and if I do, the second question is do I keep with the original red or go with an all new color?

More than likely I will wait until the last possible minute to make that decision. 

The first major thing to do once I get the truck back is get everything working. AC, heat, radio, etc. I'm daydreaming about an engine swap, as well. I have a 4.0/AX15 I could throw together and I also have a factory Dodge V8 AX15 bellhousing so a modern hemi swap is a possibility but I'm really leaning towards that little Cummins swap. From a practicality stand point, the 4.0 makes the most sense followed by the Cummins. Hemi is cool, but I don't know if I really want to deal with all of that.

Let's get the truck sent off to the body shop first and then go from there.

1 hour ago, MJCARENA said:

Wouldn't it be better to get everything fixed first before you get it painted.  We had a saying in the Navy on my ship. You can wax the car, but that doesn't make it run.

Just my thoughts.

Reminds me of" look at that he put brand new wiper blades on a cracked windshield"

• 3 months later...

Here's the work in progress. The floor was rotten well up into the transmission tunnel so he had to hammer out some small panels to cover those areas up. Looks pretty good to me especially considering that it will be covered up with carpet. I can't wait to get this back and start driving it.

Jeep Comanche driver floor replacement.jpeg

Jeep Comanche passenger rocker repair.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Well, I screwed up. I honestly figured that just getting the rockers replaced and having those areas repainted would make me a happy man...and I was right, however, I failed to realize that having perfectly-painted, factor- colored rockers would look just silly alongside the heavily-worn, original paint. I went to go pay the bill and pick up the truck today and was just blown away the new paint looked and flat out disgusted with the rest of it. Just in case anyone cares, I never had aspirations of making this truck a show queen and really had no issue with the look of it, other than the rusted areas, but after seeing that shiny paint, I just told him to paint the rest of it. It will look way nicer than I originally intended but screw it, you only live once. 

I'll update again once it's completed and finally show some pics.