My new 1987 Jeep Comanche

Jtrux

A previous co-worker has had this Jeep for quite a few years and I've always thought about buying it.  He drove it very little if at all so I knew the mileage was low.

I inquired a few weeks back and got the scoop on it and decided to go for it.

1987 MJ

2.5 cyl

5 speed (I'm almost sure it is an AX5 since it looks identical on the outside to my other Jeep's AX15)

4WD

64,000 original miles

It's pretty darn solid other than a few small cosmetic issues.

When I went to pick it up I couldn't get it started unless I used starter fluid and it would not stay running.  I couldn't hear the pump running so kinda gave up on starting it and went on to negotiate price.  

Once we agreed on a price, we loaded it up and now she's mine.

I'm currently sitting at home waiting for the FedEx man to deliver my new Bosch fuel pump.  I've got the bolts soaking and will start dropping the tank shortly.

I'm short on pics at the moment but I'll take more as I go and as she gets cleaned up.

My plans are to keep it bone stock and drive it.  I already have a "customized" Jeep so another is not needed nor wanted.  

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yea, I saw that as I was getting under there, however, when I pulled it, this is what I found.

No wonder it wouldn't start.  Time to order some parts.

Where can I find a new sending unit for this thing???

After being disappointed by that, I decided to clean up the interior before sitting down to order some parts.

It is cleaning up well.  Just need to get a new window crank.

Eewww . There are no new sending units being made by any known big name companies . Akula on here I believe made new units or you could have yours rebuilt but yours looks in bad shape . Maybe post a wanted ad for a good used one on here ..

Another route is locating a fuel tank without the slosh pan and using the xj sending unit / pump . I haven't done this but I'm sure someone will give more info on all you'll need .

Well, I am getting a lot of different feedback via FB about the sending unit I ordered.

This is the par number.  AMC SF8953002492

According to the description I read it will work with what I have but apparently everyone is saying that is not the case.

Several people are saying that it won't work at all and others are saying that the only thing that won't work is the fuel gauge.  

So what's the verdict?

Well, I am getting a lot of different feedback via FB about the sending unit I ordered.

This is the par number.  AMC SF8953002492

According to the description I read it will work with what I have but apparently everyone is saying that is not the case.

Several people are saying that it won't work at all and others are saying that the only thing that won't work is the fuel gauge.  

So what's the verdict?

Try it and see

All of the parts have arrived.

I will probably start getting everything cleaned up under the bed this weekend.

I'm really debating on coating the tank with POR15. Any thoughts?

So, I didn't end up canceling the order after all.

There are differences between the carb sending unit and FI sending unit but nothing that cannot be overcome.

There's two obstacles that stand in your way.

1.  Mounting the fuel pump.

I went around and around with how I should go about doing this but I decided that the best thing to do would be to just hose clamp it to the return line with multiple HD clamps.  While it's not the most aesthetically pleasing, it is the easiest and will also pose less issues down the road when and if I have to swap another pump out.

2.  Wiring the fuel pump.

The FI sending unit has a plug that goes into the top of the sending unit with two male connectors.  One for a ground and one for the pump.  The carb one has just one male connector.  I had to disassemble the wiring harness for the FI one and reconnect some stuff to the carb one.  No big deal.

The weather is crappy right now or I'd be out there messing with it, but I hope to have it running this weekend.

Pics of the different plugs.

FI plug

Carb plug

Typical of me, I don't have pics, but the sending unit is complete sans soldering the electrical joints I made. Soldering isn't really necessary but it's pretty easy to do since it's all out of the truck and not saturated in gas.

I'll wrap that up tomorrow and see about climbing under there to get the tank installed.

All in all I'm really happy with how it's turning out. The entire fuel system will be brand spanking new. Tank, sending unit, pump, tank vents, filter and rebuilt throttle body. The hard lines along the frame will get some carb cleaner ran through them before I hook it all back up.

Once I actually get it running, I can see what's next. I'm sure it won't just fire up and run perfectly; that would be too easy. I've already prepared myself for some vacuum leaks and have the vacuum diagrams on standby.

I made a lot of progress tonight and actually drove her for the first time down the driveway and back.

I finished up the sending unit today by getting all my crimped joints soldered.  Before locking it down inside the tank, I tested it with some test leads on the battery.  It worked.  Not a lot to mess up but I didn't want to get it all together just to have it not work because of some simple issue that could have been prevented.

It took several hours to get installed since it was pissing rain and my garage is currently occupied by my '71 K5 so I was stuck laying in the rain.  I also had to run to the auto parts store a few times.  I had trouble locating 5/8 fuel line but the NAPA near me was able to get it.

Anyways, once it was installed, I added 2.5 gallons of fresh gas to it and fired it up.  There's some definitely a hole in the exhaust since it sounds like I'm basically running with open exhaust.   

I drove it to the end of the driveway, turned around and came back.  Yay.  lol

I'll determine how bad the exhaust is tomorrow and start ordering more parts.  It's only money, right?

Good progress!  It's great to get to actually drive something after having it down for a while.  You should consider doing a little write up for that sending unit/hanger that you did for other guys that may run into the same problem.

I will gladly answer any questions about it.  I didn't really take enough pics to make a very good write up.

I had a terrible noise coming from the passenger side when it ran.  It sounded like it was running without exhaust.  Upon further inspection I determined that the muffler is broken on the inside causing the noise.  I removed all of the exhaust and ordered the whole Walker exhaust kit.

As soon as it arrives I will start making more progress.

Because the part number you provided crossed to a carbed 2.5 unit, so I'm not sure you have the right pump for your engine. Normally carbed pumps run at a much lower pressure than a TBI pump. Just because it ran down the driveway doesn't mean it's right. But I'm no 2.5 engine expert either.

I never listed the part number for the fuel pump. I purchased the applicable Bosch pump for a FI 2.5L and a carb sending unit. Like I mentioned in previous posts, I had to modify the sending unit to accept a fuel pump. I've had TBI engines in the past with faulty pumps and they wouldn't run at all with less than 15psi. If the pump wasn't providing sufficient pressure, it likely would not run, so I think I'm good.