my new jeep (kid's jeep)

bigd44889

I've tried it once, and it worked well. Teach em on the dirt in 4-lo till they understand where to let the clutch out at. It's hard(er) to kill it with that low of gearing.

you can kill yours in 4lo? :nuts: jamminz.gif

i tried to learn in a prerunner tacoma (4cyl) on 31's and it was a catastrophe... drove on the street a couple times, managed to hit the curb while pulling out of kroger, stall the truck, AND spray the windshield/wipe it all in one move.

dad thought that was kinda humorous haha. but then when i got the 4.0 MJ it was easy as pie.

I learned to drive a manual the hard way.. went and bought a new to me truck, and drove it off the lot :eek: never drove a 5 speed before that day :nuts:

kinda happened to me the same way, I was 17 and wanted to buy a truck... so I took my dad to look at it with me, and when we bought it, I went for his truck because it was an auto.. well.. he stopped me and handed me the keys to my manual S10... I could see him laughing all the way home in my review mirror as I learned how to drive stick.

i was born knowing how to drive i stick shift 8)

but really i always pretty much knew, but the first car i really learned on was an 88 accord. i just got in and figured it out. didn't take long to get good.

learned on my dad's tractors...at the age of 6. couldn't reach the pedals then so i sat in my dad's lap and steered and worked the shifter...that was all concept then got a sandrail when i was 9 and I built up the vw 1600cc dualport and a 6-rib 5 speed vw bus tranny and drove'r round the farm.

then on a 77 j200 with a 360 to drive to the end of the driveway in the winter and wait for the bus...@ age of 11.

driving stick isn't so hard, and actually going through the motions ain't so bad either. it's the concept of WHEN to shift and HOW to let go of the clutch that's a problem. she needs to drive offroad to grasp it. then graduate to road and starting/stopping on hills.

driving stick isn't so hard, and actually going through the motions ain't so bad either. it's the concept of WHEN to shift and HOW to let go of the clutch that's a problem. she needs to drive offroad to grasp it. then graduate to road and starting/stopping on hills.

the thing with starting on hills and at stops with cars behind you is confidence. as soon as you start to think about what you're doing the perverbial $#!& hits the fan. :brows: then once you stall on the road at a hill once its blown to poop... when you first start drivin one at least

I left rubber in more than one intersection learning to drive stick... I figured it's better to peel the tires than to stall it.

And that made me the driver I am today :nuts:

"Dude, aren't you gonna put it in low range?"

"Nah, I don't care about my clutch"

"Damn, that smells bad"

hahaha, i can remember stalling through an entire phase of a green light once! too funny. like 6 stalls in a row cause i was all nervous about the car behind me.

green light-stall

green light-stall

green light-stall

green light-stall

green light-stall

green light-stall

yellow light-"DAMN"

red light-mom laughs at me :oops:

i started out in a chevy luv 2wd, can't remeber the year. dad pulled it around back in the yard and told me what to do and i took off without no problems, he couldn't believe it. we drove around for a while after that and he said i won't have any problems and went inside and left me to play with it the rest of the day. :D . however a few years later we almost learned the hard way to not forget to put the e-brake on when sitting on a boat ramp to launch a boat. :eek: