Newbie build - 91 Eliminator

Not too much to report, did a couple little things to the MJ recently.

Totally added 5hp here lol

sbOCd4Nl.jpg

and like at least another 10 here

uuoJgKLl.jpg

In other news, I finally bought my first XJ! I've always wanted one, was gonna buy one a while back but found my Comanche first instead.

DbrkoB0l.jpg

It's an '88 Cherokee Pioneer, seems to be rot free but transmission is totally boned. It has the crappy BA10/5 in it now, and it came with a donor AX15 and transfer case. Hopefully won't be too hard of a swap!

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Been a while but I'm still pluggin away on the MJ! Got the roll bar mounted

r9dRIxPl.jpg

And did a bunch of other little cosmetic stuff, nothing major lately. Haven't even looked at my new XJ yet but hoping to start work on that soon.

Just ordered a JCR rear bumper for the MJ, should be able to get that and the floor pans repaired very soon! After that it's on to prepping for paint later this summer!

Also, was gonna replace the transmission fluid soon - I'd read that if fluid in an auto trans hasn't been changed in ages it's better not to mess with it, is that ever the case with a manual? Like I won't hurt anything by changing it out right? Redline still the recommended stuff for an AX15?

• 2 months later...

There haven't been a lot of comments on here recently. I just wanted to chip in and say that that bumper and the roll bar look really nice!

Thanks Minuit, always appreciated :thumbsup:

How do you like the Hurst shifter? 

I looooove it, it definitely wasn't a crucial (or inexpensive) upgrade but I'm glad I did it. Shifting is much smoother, shorter and has more of a positive "click" into each gear. Plus, they're my namesake so I pretty much had to get one ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Very nice! I also have a 91 eliminator! But originally as a 2wd auto and NO A/C also. I'm a rare breed apparently, I swapped the factory buckets for a bench. I prefer benches in singlecabs and needed a third seat anyways.

Damn, you built one helluva nice MJ! I usually favor the stock look but nice work man, looks awesome. Hey you wouldn't happen to still have your buckets and want to sell them? I'm having a heck of time finding a set near Philly, you'd think it wouldn't be too tough but I'm striking out here.

In 88 XJ news, I pulled my first transmission!

kunD7cSl.jpg

Now to get the new one in!

• 1 month later...

Bit of a pic dump incoming - been working on fixing up the interior on the MJ. Got the guy who welded my bumper up to install some new floor pans, then I POR15'd the top and bottom. Found a guy locally who was looking for a bench seat for his truck, did an even trade for his buckets and center console. Replaced the headliner, which was just a piece of fabric held in place by about 200 staples, also coated the backing piece with some fiberglass resin so it doesn't keep falling apart. Replaced the carpet, messed up on a couple cuts but still came out pretty nice. Replaced some of the old black trim with grey stuff I got at a JY, for the pieces I couldn't find I just sprayed em with some engine primer, close enough for now.

Before:
RGcxsNZl.jpg

tPlJBmdl.jpg

After:
05k8nWzl.jpg

U2nRosYl.jpg

Oh and because I'm a huge dork

fMSDdDLl.jpg

You call that a pic dump? :D

Those seats look so much better. I'm really surprised someone was willing to make that trade with you. Guess someone must want the MJ bench after all. Usually MJ buckets, especially the good Eliminator versions go for a damn king's ransom unless you build them yourself from about 4 vehicles worth of parts or get really lucky :)

You call that a pic dump? :D

Those seats look so much better. I'm really surprised someone was willing to make that trade with you. Guess someone must want the MJ bench after all. Usually MJ buckets, especially the good Eliminator versions go for a damn king's ransom unless you build them yourself from about 4 vehicles worth of parts or get really lucky :)

Ha, I was gonna upload a bunch more boring photos of the interior progress but imgur is so annoying to use anymore i got fed up

Yeah I really lucked out with the seats, dude was ecstatic to get my bench and center console, so hey everyone's happy :) They're in decent shape, a little rip on the driver's and they still need a good cleaning but I love them. Much more comfortable than the bench, but they do sit WAY higher. The center console is definitely from an XJ but I'm not complaining because CUP HOLDERS BABYYYYY!!!

• 5 months later...

UcxqVTXl.jpg

As usual, it's been a while! 

DDa5HuDl.jpg

Mostly just driving the truck and enjoying it as is but finally decided to get the paint done. Almost done the prep work on my end before it goes to the shop, I am pretty much removing everything for them and swapping out the damaged fender and header panel for some intact ones I picked up. The paint on the hood was so bad they recommended I find a replacement hood with good paint/clearcoat to cut down on the prep work and save some $$$. Still need to finish removing the decals (hated doing this but they will be replaced), door handles/locks, and rear window. Planning on keeping it factory color, Colorado Red. Gonna be expensive, more than I paid for the truck by a lot, but will be worth it.

really makes me want to paint my Comanche so its all one color. love the look of your Comanche, makes me with mine was a bit smaller. I'm always down in wharton if you want someone to explore with. great build. 

really makes me want to paint my Comanche so its all one color. love the look of your Comanche, makes me with mine was a bit smaller. I'm always down in wharton if you want someone to explore with. great build. 

Thanks man, yeah I'll definitely wanna get back to Wharton soon as the paint is done

• 1 month later...

Went to check on the paint progress and drop off a couple parts for my body guy. Getting there!

jSx0PU8l.jpg

g2QELKXl.jpg

f50MtGal.jpg

Still have a couple weeks to go, which is fine because I'm in the middle of putting a project garage together with my Dad and it won't be done for a few more weeks anyway. Can't wait to see it all done!

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like your paint guy cares about what he's doing.  I hope it comes out as nice as you want.

Thanks! Yeah the reason I went with him was not purely from a price standpoint, I just got a good feeling from him in general and the fact that he did body work for a Chrysler dealership in the 80s-90's didn't hurt either! 

Stopped by this morning to drop off my new rear glass and check on the progress. Almost done! Came out okay I guess  :clapping:

CExqXq4l.jpg

5FTn0mkl.jpg

HrZkiI5l.jpg

0m7X5EEl.jpg

Going to Line-X or similar the bed?

Yes, exactly. It reduced the prep costs and the truck will still be used for light duty work so didn't want to spend the money on paint only to have it get scratched up immediately. Had a bedliner but got rid of it when I got my rollbar.

Going to Line-X or similar the bed?

Yes, exactly. It reduced the prep costs and the truck will still be used for light duty work so didn't want to spend the money on paint only to have it get scratched up immediately. Had a bedliner but got rid of it when I got my rollbar.

I did the same after mine was painted. Also put an MJ rubber mat on the bed floor. The bed still looks like new many years later.

• 7 months later...

Hey guys, been a while! Still have the MJ, just been busy with other stuff and haven't had time to finish up all the little odds and ends to put it back together after the repaint. Finally found some time and got some little stuff done like replace the hood release cable and started putting the door hardware back together. Man what a PITA. Handles went on okay but the lock cylinders are a real bear to get everything reconnected. Next time I paint a car I'll just tape them off!

In other news, I finally scored a set of 10 holes! 

kpsQ6U2l.jpg

Got some Plastic and Trim restorer to clean up the black plastic components, stuff seems to work pretty good

JRLpCLWl.jpg

XSZlDBsl.jpg

So I did most of the prep work as far as disassembling things for the body shop but they did pull some stuff afterward apparently - let's play a round of WTF Are These Parts!

sQqD0Mll.jpg

All in all I think I'm pretty close to "done!" Mostly just have a few more little annoying bits left, need to refit all the fender flare mounts with new bolts etc. Can't wait to get it on the road again finally.

• 3 months later...

Guys, almost done here. Truck is at the shop now getting a new inspection sticker. All that's left is to reattach emblems. Have a truck show this Saturday I'll be entering so will get some photos of it all done then. In the meantime here are a couple time lapse videos I did of some of the last steps.