Won't be around for a while.

Knucklehead97

Hey guys. The past weekend I went through the painful no sleep for 3 days proccess of trying to put an AX-15 into my MJ because my BA10 was giving up. I got it all bolted up and bam... the AX-15's 4th gear was stripped and wouldn't do crap. I put the BA10 back in just to hold the engine up and I hate to say it but I'm having the Jeep towed back to my house today and there it will sit for awhile. Just gotta give up on the ol girl for awhile and worry about other things. Still looking for another AX-15 or a Cherokee parts vehicle to grab one out of. But it's not on my top priority list anymore. I threw around the idea of selling the MJ but I couldn't do it so I'm just grabbing up a cheap car to drive to and from work and eventually school, while the Jeep waits for a good transmission. Just wanted to let you guys know that I'm extremely thankful for all the help you've given me in keeping her on the road, I've learned a bunch from the knowledge of this forum. Can't wait to be back on here with a running MJ but it will be awhile.

Thanks again and God bless!

Zach.

I've had this happen before. When my block had the chip knocked out of it I got so p!$$ed off I didn't touch the MJ at all for a few months. After a while I got tired of the Thunderbird life and here I am now. The urge will come back, I guarantee it.

Seeya 'round!

It's just kinda depressing, coming on here and seeing everyone else having an awesome time with their MJ's, when you know yours is sad and broken and alone under a snowdrift 300 miles away...

Although looking back that just drove me harder to fix it before it spent another lonely winter out in the cold with no friends.

It is a little depressing seeing everyone elses MJ's looking great and drivable while mine sits in the yard with parts in the bed. But heck, I'll still check up on the forums sometimes till I find the time and parts to fix it. I'm already close to having a car, just gotta get more info on the one I'm checking out. Glad to see that third rule, I honestly forgot about that one haha.

I own 2 MJs and neither are currently driveable,one has been a long project and the other has a valve jammed in the #1 piston, but here i am.

Staying up with the group is going to motivate you to keep going with your project.

Keep in mind this isn't like a video game that you can shut off and pick up later,these are real people and friends here,i would stick around.

Once you find some solid transportation you might find some of the members here are also enthusiastic about the new vehicle as well.

Once you restore the 'MJ fund' why don't you have the AX15 rebuilt? Then you know what is going into the truck when the time comes. Some get lucky with used parts, others don't.....unfortunately, you did not.

I agree with everyone else, whom have stated that you will get back into it. While my MJ was down I was sad about it. But, I knew that patience would help my budget. It helps that I also have my XJ to drive, although it doesn't get as good of mileage as the MJ does and it's Auto :/ . 

I'm not on forums as much as I used to be typically, because of a variety of reasons, but being able to help other people, see builds, and maybe get some answers is worth checking in. 

I was planning to take the transmission and Tcase back for a refund cause it's under warranty. I considered a rebuild, but wouldn't that run about $1000? I would love to have a fresh transmission in it but sheesh, thats a bunch haha. A friend of mine is selling his daughters Nissan Altima (not sure on the year yet) with 70k miles for $3500. From what Craigslist has shown me... thats a good price for those miles. I'm looking for something that I won't have to put any money into to drive. Just don't have the time to work on something. Hoping him and I can get together and talk more about it soon.

Iv been in the same boat ! I ran into a bunch of issues when I swaped my engine in my manch and I even had to step back and let it sit for a wile so I didn't loose my mind ! That's also why I finaly got my self a cheap dd as I didn't want to drive something I always had to work on ( I'm a mechanic by trade and working on my own junk is the last thing I want to do most days ) . But be warned that the grass isn't always greener on the other side .... So in the beginning of March I needed a new dd as the totally beat to crap pos 87 2wd danger ranger that I was driving wasn't suitable to haul both my kids this year home from school I set out to get a good 4dr car . So my parent neighbors had a 1997 v6 camry bought new with only 85k on it an I thought great I'll take it but they wanted more than I had so I passed but they are good people and said that I could have the car for a $1000 ! So I pased on another good deal I was working on cause this was way better . Never in a million years would they sell me or anyone else a pile but that didn't stop the tranny from going out on me 3 months later ........ Twice !!!! 2 new transmissions later and iv got way more into it than it's worth and its a stupid camry ! So to me... A $1000 spent on a new rebuilt ax15 is money well spent / invested into a great truck that you know what's in it , just my 2cents .

Iv been in the same boat ! I ran into a bunch of issues when I swaped my engine in my manch and I even had to step back and let it sit for a wile so I didn't loose my mind ! That's also why I finaly got my self a cheap dd as I didn't want to drive something I always had to work on ( I'm a mechanic by trade and working on my own junk is the last thing I want to do most days ) . But be warned that the grass isn't always greener on the other side .... So in the beginning of March I needed a new dd as the totally beat to crap pos 87 2wd danger ranger that I was driving wasn't suitable to haul both my kids this year home from school I set out to get a good 4dr car . So my parent neighbors had a 1997 v6 camry bought new with only 85k on it an I thought great I'll take it but they wanted more than I had so I passed but they are good people and said that I could have the car for a $1000 ! So I pased on another good deal I was working on cause this was way better . Never in a million years would they sell me or anyone else a pile but that didn't stop the tranny from going out on me 3 months later ........ Twice !!!! 2 new transmissions later and iv got way more into it than it's worth and its a stupid camry ! So to me... A $1000 spent on a new rebuilt ax15 is money well spent / invested into a great truck that you know what's in it , just my 2cents .

theres quite a few other things I need to do to the Manche before it's completely daily drivable as well, so getting another car HAS to happen :/ next spring will probably be when I jump back on it. I just hope to grab up this Altima I'm looking at. It's really nice :D hopefully it won't turn out like that Camry!

You never recover from Comanche sickness.  Ever.

It's a good thing they are kind of rare, or I'd have a dozen non-working $500 MJs in my back yard ..... and big plans for every one ..... all while I drive my Honda back and forth to work cause it's actually dependable  ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Update. Not even a month has passed and I'm already making up a list of parts I will be changing along with the transmission. Just can't go long without needing to research Jeep parts... love the Manche to much. If all goes as planned next summer the MJ will be getting an entire steering overhaul with a 3.55 geared c8.25 with disk brakes (eventually will get the front axle to allow me to use 4x4 again). And an external slave ax-15 of course. The tranny swap will be quite easy this time around since the pilot bearing is already changed and the clutch is aligned already. Needless to say I'm very excited for next summer.

Anyone know how I can make a double shear trac bar work on stock height? I plan to go to 2" one day. But will be at stock height when I do the steering overhaul. Trac bar will be changed with the overhaul because of the play in it. And brand new Moog WJ upper and lower control arms! :D