Lowering 87 MJ

I've searched and come up with blocks for rear anyone have any pics of a MJ lowered with 2" or 3" blocks on rear.

For the front would you cut the springs on it or junk yard find TJ, or buy eibock lowering springs

Would love to see anyone's lowered 2wheel drive. I'm look for performance not low rider status. Nothing crazy just want to tuck tires into fenders a-little. I've read hitting oil pain is a problem when dropping it more than 3". Is this true for 350 vs 4.0? Anyone else have a lowered v8 MJ?

Very nice how is the ride with the coils. Is there anything you would have done different

Haven't had it on a track, so I don't have any real tested ride/cornering input as far as performance goes.  Street driving it and having done a quick figure-8 throw down in a closed parking lot around light pole bases has me grinning.  The cut stock 4x4 coils are very notably stiffer but not bone-jarring.  With the factory swaybar - larger than the ones found under the XJ's - it has reasonable body roll.  

At this point, I have no plans to change the suspension set up until I get some track time.  I'm guessing the rear leaf packs (still stock minus the overload leaf) might still be too stiff.  And I'm pretty certain it'll need an anti-wrap bar fabbed up to keep the pinion controlled as I plan on keeping it a 5-speed..... especially if I remove a leaf from each pack to soften it up.

Still planning on going with a simple straight tube and heim joint steering set up.  

I have a 28MM ZJ sway bar on the front of my truck. There is a thread in the DIY section about adding sway bars to the rear of both the LWB and the SWB trucks.

Steel lowering blocks will be fine. Aluminum blocks will crack and fail. You can also use a XJ rear shackle to lower the rear 3/4" or so.

Front stock TJ coils will lower the front an inch. ZJ rear coils on the front will drop the front about 2".

Yeah... we're going to need a build thread on this one.  :thumbsup:

One will be coming soon.

I've searched and come up with blocks for rear anyone have any pics of a MJ lowered with 2" or 3" blocks on rear.

For the front would you cut the springs on it or junk yard find TJ, or buy eibock lowering springs

Would love to see anyone's lowered 2wheel drive. I'm look for performance not low rider status. Nothing crazy just want to tuck tires into fenders a-little. I've read hitting oil pain is a problem when dropping it more than 3". Is this true for 350 vs 4.0? Anyone else have a lowered v8 MJ?

In these pictures it has 2" blocks in the rear, and I cut the factory springs roughly 2" in the front. The tires are 235/75/15.

I would recommend cutting the factory springs, because if you don't like it you can get another set for next to nothing. Also if you want more spring rate, get 4wd springs, or move over to zj springs. Some people are against cutting springs, but if you use a cutoff wheel and keep it cool, everything will be fine.

I agree with shelbyluvv, get a larger sway bar, and use steel lowering blocks, also the xj shackle plus a 2" block will make it sit really nice in the rear. (I wouldn't recommend a block taller than 2").

How much clearance do you have between the oil pan and the axle tube? I remember the Novak Conversions v8 swap kits recommended a 2" lift when swapping in a chevy v8 because of clearance issues.

A lowered v8 Comanche sounds like a awesome street machine.

GtL3qhUl.jpg

7ouS3PFl.jpg

I have the Novak parts and I wanted to lower mine but the driver side header is very close to the upper control arm. I had to put a 2 1/2 inch lift on it.  I think a person could use factory exhaust manifolds and be ok. Just a guess. Also the steering stabilizer is about 2 inches away from oil pan without the lift. I put a regular bolt pointing down and got a little more clearance. I still haven't given up on lowering it but was wondering if the front suspension from another car or truck would work.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 years later...