A-Pillar Bumper Seals?

Makes sense, and yes, why not? Compared to the one other MJ and several XJs I've had, my 91 MJ has the least wind noise of all. And the XJs were all 94 and above. Keep us posted. 

it's the chrome.  makes it all slippery and such in the breeze.  :yes:

:rotfl2:   That sounds logical to me Pete.

Best solution for excessive wind noise:  Run a set of half-worn down BFG Mud Terrains.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've heard that cutting the muffler off solves all wind noise issues on these trucks. Way cheaper than weatherstripping :D

I'll report back once I get these installed (and after I figure out where they go in the first place). I'll replace the rotten door seals first. That will probably make much more difference, but every little bit helps. Team Cherokee is the only place I can find 97+ door seals... taking my chances with them, since the dealer wants $148 per side.

Team Cherokee is the only place I can find 97+ door seals... taking my chances with them, since the dealer wants $148 per side.

I got a set of 97-01 XJ door seals from the junkyard in near new condition. They were like a tenth of that cost. I haven't installed them yet though LOL You could probably find generic door seal in a bulk roll that would be cheaper also (if you get the correct profile).

I think Pete is right on his assumption.  My A pillar leaked past the secondary seal meant to stop the rain leak even when parked.  It then ran down the front of the door jamb under the door sill and then back a few inches and dumped on the foot well. But I found accidently that the wind coming up inside the secondary seal forced the water through more easily as my speed increased.  Stuck a couple of the kids mittens at the lower edge of seal and shut the door on them.Water flow decreased.  Didn't notice if noise level decreased as the side vents leak so much noise through it probably wouldn't have made any diff.  

Here's a photo supplied by Gjeep. This is shown on his 92 MJ. It's mounted 2 inches up from the bottom of the vertical a-pillar seal.

Image Not Found

Hey G, I had these on my truck too. Didn't know what they were until I saw your pic.  :yes:

Argggg. I just got back from my buddy's house where I took the photo of the same piece.

Gotta be wind noise.

Noted that the vertical A pillar seal on his 95 is made of a more rigid material and held on by only 3 rivets versus the 5 holding mine on. I believe some adhesive was also used.

There are no gaps between the rivets like on mine. 

The 97 door seals will make a big difference in wind noise. So will these:

http://comancheclub.com/topic/14834-lower-door-weatherstrip/?hl=weatherstrip

They didn't on my 88. The 97 door seals anyway. 

Did you try rolling up your windows?

Aw, $#!&. I knew I forgot something............

What's the part number for the later A pillar strips? Available? 

lol...

2qJQwjHl.jpg

Team Cherokee did me the great favor of splitting my order without giving me any indication of it and without giving me a tracking number for the second box, so my door seals may or may not be here some time this year. This will be the last time I order anything from this company. Previously I've had good luck with them, but this has pissed me off just a little bit. I made the order on 7/22 (including these A-"piller" seals, a blower motor gasket, and 2 97+ door seals) and it did not ship until 7/27.

The door seals on my truck are basically destroyed, so I will wait to install the A-"piller" seals until I can fix that. Probably will be easier to tell a difference then.

Alright, so the bumper seals are installed. I went ahead and stuck 'em on even though I don't have my new door seals yet. Unless you're insanely picky, I'd say avoid. There is a very slight decrease in wind noise from the sides, but other than that, not much to say. The quality on them wasn't very good either, some of the adhesive came off the foam when I pulled the protective film off. I could see them making a bigger difference if the rest of my interior was sound deadened (which I plan to do in the future). On a stock truck, not enough of a difference to be worth it.

• 2 months later...

I ordered a coupla sets for the hell of it.

But I noticed something yesterday. The green Comanche has original door seals and it's quieter than my wife's 88 XJ with 97 seals.

My MJ has had the A pillar seals caulked very neatly so air can't get around them.

I have been disappointed with my 97+ door seals as well. They make the door excessively difficult to close (I have to slam the door twice about 10% of the time and I'm not being gentle anyway) and fit poorly, so poorly that I believe them to be causing wind noise. They also push the door out of alignment visibly when the door is closed. If they weren't so d@mn expensive I probably would have gone back to the old style ones by now - at least they're better than what was in there. OEM 97+ door seals may be better, but the old style door seals were in my opinion better than the poor quality aftermarket 97+ seals sold by the likes of Team Cherokee and Rockauto.

I may try to grab a set of good condition 95 or 96 door seals out of the junkyard next time I go.

Update:

Before the seals arrived from Team Cherokee, I added some fasteners to hold the existing "wind strips" to the A pillar eliminating the gaps.

Huge difference and this XJ already has the 97+ seals. 

Added the Team Cherokee pieces the next day. No noticeable improvement.