WTB - One VERY LARGE buffing wheel.

Hehehe.... 'Cause I'm gonna need one to fix this mess.

This is what I started with. Pretty much the same as the last time anybody saw it other than some bent metal and broken parts...

Image Not Found

I kinda lost my header panel then ran into a tree

Image Not Found

Out came the sawzall.

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Getting there....

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Bunch of BS that I cut off.

Image Not Found

Mocking up the new fender location.

Image Not Found

As you see, it's gonna be dove nosed with just the stock 4oh rad. I had qualms about doing this, but WTH. It's only time, money, and effort. I'm sure I can make it work decently.

There's also some other parts that are going to go in sometime soon hopefully... And maybe another sudden change.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

nice.

you can probably shorten a header panel to accomodate just a grille off a manche, and then just mount up some fog lights as your headlights. I know I appreciate the light and you don't seem to have any...

i like it though

Oh, I had a header panel. And headlights. It had an accident last trip when I got it caught on a tree. I'm a really hot driver if anybody hadn't noticed yet... Anyways, it's still ratchet strapped to the back of the truck.

But I have two header panels and two hoods. So that's a decent shot at making at least one fit. I'll have to find some lights that will fit in the stock location but aren't as deep as there's not enough clearance with the rad. I might have some funky gaps going on as I'm not exactly a body man.

But I gotta bend some tube before I get too horney on any praticular location of the peices.

And I gotta clean up the wiring/vacuum harness.

I pretty much knew I would find this in the projects section when I saw this:

Image Not Found

in the wheeling section.

You're gonna have to section in a portion of another fender to make the fenders long enough to reach a header panel, if you go the route. That's the reason my Toy still has a fat face is body work's for suckers.

Hmm. Maybe. I think I'll try and make a MJ/XJ header work first. I don't want any more toy confusion. But then again, a slot grille would be pretty obvious too. I already have an idea hopw I'll patch the gaps. Ever heard of 100mph tape? Er, ah, actually I'm going to steal some .040 aluminum and just pop rivet it on, I think...

Tomorrow I go and look at tcases. Grr.

I already have an idea hopw I'll patch the gaps. Ever heard of 100mph tape? Er, ah, actually I'm going to steal some .040 aluminum and just pop rivet it on, I think...

Just take the fenders off your Cherokee! It doesn't need em anyways. Noone would think it was a Toyota.

I think the verdict is to say f' everything in the front clip other than the hood.

I'm going to run some tube...

Now, I did run into a major bummer. I was hoping to just keep plugging away with the renix EFI - perhaps clean some of the sensors so it runs right. But I also wanted to tie my tube work into the flat spot above the coil towers (yes, I still have them, I plan to use them again). However, the bloody ignition coil is right there. And a bunch of the EFI junk is in the way...

I kind a doubt I can move any of it?

Anything can be moved :brows: You might have to run some tube and some sheetmetal to make a new panel, but it can be moved :brows:

I think I am going to go the same rout on my junk... but I plan on loosing all my inner panels :eek: and then some serios cage work

After a whole bunch of trying to fit a header panel, and trying to fit the fenders, I got annoyed.

So, it'll be a cut down hood, and some tube.

Image Not Found

I finially tore down the tcase. Yeah, it's broken...

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Went through the rest of it, and it all looks to be fine.

Image Not Found

I couldn't find any decent drilled shank bolts, so I jsut bought the hood pin kit from lordco. It was only $18. Whatever.

I also spent a bunch of time prepping all my attachment points for the cage. I'm not done yet, but I hate using a speed blaster inside, so I'm going to have to buy some little abrasive pads to go in the die grinder.

Anyways, I just hope I get a quote back on the tube soon. Or I will go insane.

How'd you cut your inner fenders?

Which part?

I drilled the spot welds for the most part, and did some sawzalling and some time with the angle grinder. And I used a BFH for quite a bit of it.

And the tcase just broke... Rear tires in the air, front pulling me over an obstacle (dragging the belly) and she just went bang. It's not too suprising given the size of the output shaft, the weight of my truck, and that all the stress was on the front rotating assembly.

• 2 weeks later...

As an update, I got annoyed. Now the radiator is going in the back. I think I'll drill some holes in the cab to route the plumbing. I also got tired of the wires that do things that I don't know about. And the vacuum lines and all those other things. It's just ugly.

I think I'll order one of these:

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/Item ... 8310638817

And use my propane goodness.

Does anybody know if the head on a 258 in a YJ has the ports in the same place as a Renix head?

And does anybody know if the drilled/tapped things on it for the P/S bracket are the same as a 4.0 one? I think they are, but I'm not sure. And that intake is bloody expensive.

I can't wait to see this thing finished. Maybe you should lay out of work and help it along. You could catch one of those summer colds. :brows: J/K but i really love what you have done. I would like to know how the propane turns out that might be a option sometime later if gas breaks 5 bucks a gallon or something.

Cole

I would like to know how the propane turns out that might be a option sometime later if gas breaks 5 bucks a gallon or something.

Cole

Pure alcohol might even be more reasonable by that point. Not to mention, get some nice HP gains... jamminz.gif

I hope the propane works. There's no going back now. The intake manifold is off, and I found a few 'bad' thigs, but I do still have 6 intake valves so I'm not too worried. All the EFI crap that plugged into it is in a box too. My header is screwed. I dunno if I'm going to fix it or not...

Most of the wiring harness is off. Well, about half of it. I'm having trouble with that big mother of a bulkhead connector that plugs the harness into the fuse panel. I'll get it figured out. I'm trying not to destroy it too badly so I can re-use the little of it that I'll need.

The interior is about half out now. The dash is being annoying. It's all rivetted from here, so I'll get the air drill out tomorrow. And I've got to decided what to do with the heater core. Or whatever that thing is. I still need a heater, but I only need it to be simple... I'll rip it all apart and see what happens I guess.

I've got to drop the gas tank tomorrow. Then figure out where to fit all the crap that's in my garage from taking this thing apart. Then I can throw my tank on the bed and see how it'll fit with the radiator and all. I might have to cut up the decking and try to get it to sit lower so my radiator doesn't block the back window. Can't have that.

Then I get to decided if the hood is narrow enough, or if I should lop a bit more off. Probably cut more... Then I have to cut down my spare header panel (it'll fit now).

And I've got to remember to fit up my chebby distributor.... I hope I have enough parts to have a working one. And I need to get a timing light...

The only real debates I'm having in my head right now is over the cage. I was going to go strictly exo. But now I'm not so sure. I'd really like 5-point harnesses. What do I need for those? New seats I suppose, and a cage structure directly behind them to tie into... Plus a floor tie-in (no biggy, the floor is structeral).

Everytime I touch something I make more work.

Is there any tips on pulling the heater/heater core/vent system without destroying all of it? I got a lot of it off already, but I need to pull the main housing.

There's some studs going through the firewall, do they hold it all in?

Here's the stuff I pulled out...

Image Not Found

HVAC that I don't want to destroy.

Image Not Found

Intake off, some of the EFI junk still there. I gotta take a bunch of time and pull it all.

Image Not Found

Yeah, she's really clean. Okay, I need to pick up a case of brakeclean.

Image Not Found

Box of stuff...

Image Not Found

Yes those studs hold it all in.

Now I got a question about this pane stuff...

Do you have to advance the timing to make it work since pane has a much higher octane rating?

HOw are you going to heat the pane?

give me more info.. this is the way Pong appears to be pulling me to go