WTB - One VERY LARGE buffing wheel.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, I popped the carrier out of my D44, and figured I might as well take the pinion out too...

Something looks kinda wrong with 'dat dere oil slinger...

Image Not Found

And there was this:

Image Not Found

That was a pinion bearing preload shim! Ouch.

I found more metal in the bearing on closer inspection. I have no idea how that would happen. But, what do you expect for something that's 35~ years old and out of a ford? Luckily I wasn't planning on running the 3.50 gearset it came with.

I also had some axle tube nastiness.

Image Not Found

Nothing like 1/4" buildup of dirt, grease, oil, and who knows what on the inside of the tubes.

So I took the inner seals out and cleaned the tubes:

Image Not Found

Rather nasty.

I wonder if there's aftermarket outer seals for these things? I'm not sure, I know they make D30 ones.

And I glass blasted my inner Cs.

Image Not Found

Didn't do a wonderful job of it, but they'll work.

I got the housing cut down...

Image Not Found

They did it in a LATHE. I should have told them to just use the horizontal band-saw (that's what I'd expected), but they did it this way, so WTH. $35 for both sides isn't bad.

I cleaned the cover up a bit:

Image Not Found

And shaved it to match the housing. It's a little iffy on the sealing. I drilled a new hole for that lower bolt cause it ain't gonna work. Then I realized I don't have a 5/16 UNC tap. I'll have to remember to buy one.

Oh, as you can see that cover come off a working girl. I love previously wheeled parts.

So, I got to work on it:

Image Not Found

I bent and welded on a peice of .125 FB first. The cover is about .150, so that gives me a little over 1/4" over the ring gear. If you need more than that, you were already being a major idiot. I also welded up the un-needed hole.

I'll put a bit more FB on the bottom of it, and maybe build a girdle. Might as well try to give some strength back to the centre section since I shaved it so much.

Cs back on... Had a slight snag in doing it in that when I measured stickout before removing them, well, I didn't exactly take into account that it wouldn't be the same all the way around. It won't matter.

Image Not Found

Welded up the cover thingy... And started playing around with the design to make it stronger/more supportive to the housing. I am undecided.

I also drilled and tapped the new hole.

Image Not Found

The stupid part is that it's 'done' except if I decide to final weld the Cs (they're just tacked). I don't have a plan for my front suspension, or the money for the parts quite frankly. And I'm not big on doing the gear setup until most of the welding is done on the housing.

I can do more work on the cover, and clean it some more, weld the Cs, and that's it.

I need parts to do anything on the rear too. They're on the way, but it'll be a week or so...

I bent and welded on a peice of .125 FB first. The cover is about .150, so that gives me a little over 1/4" over the ring gear. If you need more than that, you were already being a major idiot. I also welded up the un-needed hole.

You can say this now, but...

You can say this now, but...

:yes:

Contrary to WARN's instructions, I would not advise installing their hubs without the outer snap rings.

Image Not Found

That's what my noise was.

I took a poseur shot on the driveway... Mostly becuase I was playing around with it.

Image Not Found

Is it as tall as it looks, or is it the narrow front end?

Cage looks aggresive, nice job on the styling. Any thoughts on lights?

It's rather tall... The front works out to 9-10" of lift and the rear is about 8". I know I want to drop the front, but I'm not sure if I should drop the rear too.

what spring are you running in the front? i'm back to thinking about a front leaf setup out of sheer simplicity... we've got one jeep built with a linked front end... and i've had death wobble since day one stock. so i'll be happy to go to a more striaghtforward suspension.

did you have any steering issues with the leaf's gettin in the way?

what spring are you running in the front? i'm back to thinking about a front leaf setup out of sheer simplicity... we've got one jeep built with a linked front end... and i've had death wobble since day one stock. so i'll be happy to go to a more striaghtforward suspension.

did you have any steering issues with the leaf's gettin in the way?

They're waggy fronts. You're more likely to have wobbles with leafs than not.

The steering is bad. I used PMP knuckles and arms (1" taller than milled knuckles) and the static angle is taken out in the arms. And I cut down the waggy inverted T setup. It had issues. The TR/DL attach point would hit the leaf spring. And itdoesn't steer worth $#!& at speed, and that was after I fixed the TR roll problems.

thanks, i flipped through your thread real quick didn't see any straight on pics with a good shot of the steering or anything, you think you've got one?

coil springs perform better no doubt, but i've seen some flexy leaf setups too,

just don't wanna fool with DBs or LA's or stupid tall SA angles and track bars are a pain in my @$$.

thanks, i flipped through your thread real quick didn't see any straight on pics with a good shot of the steering or anything, you think you've got one?

Got one of the axle out of the truck with the hydro ram on it, it's in my other build thread where I did the front leafs... I can get you a better pic of the steering so you can see how HACK it is though. You'll just have to wait until later today for it.

My wheeling trip carnaged:

Driver's front leaf

Passenger rear leaf

Wheel bearing on passenger side

And probably a bunch of stuff I don't know about. The fact I ran the engine out of coolant didn't help anything.

Combine this with the fact that I already had two bent leafs (pass front, driver rear) and that I wasn't entirely happy with my front leafs...

And you get this:

Image Not Found

Blew out all the front $#!&. Took my knuckles, shafts and hubs off the waggy front. No leaf brackets remain (there is one in that picture).

And the rear gets this:

Image Not Found

I'm going to cut it behind the second bed mount (not the cut in the picture) and run my coils off the exo/deck.