WTB - One VERY LARGE buffing wheel.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You had your front leafs setup with the shackle in the front right? I know that is the easy way.. but everyone I have seen with that kind of setup has had a problem with bending their leaf springs. I can't wait to see your link build up

Yeah, I did. However, I think I'd have bent them anyways. Maybe. Things were getting kinda ugly. Not to mention that I managed to get them to wrap up! Besides, they'd need some major weird shackles to have worked the other way.

We'll see how the links go. Gotta order more $#!& tomorrow. I think I'll go all RE larges for the front, but I'm not sure. I'm going to phone my guy and see what he says about it.

Triangulated 4 link in the rear? What about the front? This will be fun to watch. jamminz.gif

3-link and panhard... I think.

It's a predicament. The lower links will have to be bent to clear the tires. Bent links aren't the best thing in the world. And I'm not sure how much length I can get on my upper. I'm going to order parts and start working on it again tomorrow, I hope. I might only get it done enough to get it rolling before I call it quits for the winter. MAYBE. I only have a week and a half to work on it.

The problem is a buddy brought over his yota to SAS. And that thing has been KICKING MY @$$.

Stupid toyota consuming all my time.

I finially started looking at the parts I have lying around. The 4-link for the rear has just been a f' up from the start. The parts were late because they shipped the wrong ones. But some of it was right, so I got axle brackets and joints and link material. Or so we though. I tacked on the axle brackets and they sucked. It turns out my lower brackets are 5* instead of 30*. @#$%ing sweet. And the lower links are 1.75x.250 4130 instead of 2x.250 4130 that I thought they'd be. I never clarified, it just said "2x.250 lower links, upgradable to chromoly. " If you do the math, the 1.75" chromo is WEAKER than 2" DOM. So what's the god damn point? Saving weight on my links? Sweet, but my truck weighs 4200 and will bend them. And now I have an awesome eye infection that is leaving me half blind (can't wear contacts, can't find my glasses).

Oh, and I think I might run a single triangulated 4-link in the front... I know, you're thinking "WHAAAAAAAAAT?" but, it'll work. Maybe. It worked well in a YJ I know of. So, maybe.

Tomorrow I'll feel better about it.

It's where one pair of arms is straight (normally the lower arms), as in they are totally perpendicular to the axle. Much like what you'd see on the lower arms of the stock MJ/XJ suspension. Or like the lower arms (if you will) of a radius arm setup (long arms).

Then the other pair is on an angle, normally ccoming from the frame to the centre of the axle, and normally they're the uppers.

It can cause odd issues because you don't have a track bar (panhard) and the axle does not move in the same plane as your drag link. However, it doesn't seem TOO bad and I can always build a track bar and ditch an upper link if I don't like it.

The YJ that runs it is stable to about 100 in the dunes... But, yeah, it might not be the best. If I don't like it, I'll pull an upper and build a panhard.

Maybe. I'm still not sure.

And I'm going to jsut have to play with this one to make it clear. Bent links are a possibility, as much as I don't liek the concept.

The reality is I'm flat out of time before winter though. So, I'll be working on it again in April.

• 7 months later...

So, remember this build? It's may now, so I lied a bit, but I am back at work on it.

I removed this:

Image Not Found

The front hitch is actually off my dodge, I removed it a long time ago. It just got chucked there because that became the new unoffical scrap pile. Which is quite a bit larger now.

Got the rear end back together enough that it rolls, stuck it in position to check my clearances and such...

Image Not Found

Then cut more junk off:

Image Not Found

Then I stuck the link x-member in place to check clearances and angles...

Image Not Found

Seems I had about an inch of driveshaft clearance, which would allow for about 2" of uptravel. And the suspension is actually at droop now since I plan to lower it so much. So no, that didn't work. Notice how the garage is a @#$%ing mess - I need to drink a bunch of beer and clean it all, but I'm in too much of a hurry.

Changed the x-member:

Image Not Found

Clearance is way better. I also mounted it a hair higher as the truck is going to sit lower anyways. Anti-squat is probably still around 130%, I'm not worried.

Links:

Image Not Found

RE larges are retarded to weld on. They seem to warp a bit and the threads don't work worth crap after that. I need to buy or make a spanner wrench for them too - I can set them tight with a punch and hammer but it's kinda hack.

Anyways, I only have till saturday to work on it, then I'm back to work. I want to get the rear in decently so I can look at the front some more.

I made links, yayyyyyyyyyyyyy

Image Not Found

And worked on the crossmember.

I would have been more productive but I wasted a lot of time trying to find a 1-1/4 12TPI tap to clean up the threads on one of the inserts. Apparently they aren't too common.

Whose got 4 links? I've got 4 links!

Image Not Found

Image Not Found you and your 4 links.

I got 3 links. :roll: Not in the rear though. Very nice build thus far. I can't do something that extreme as far as the extreme amount of down time of the rig. I always want to go out and get dirty. However, will be one he!! of a rig when your done. Best be sure to post those pics and vids of the rig out and about. jamminz.gif

This part was actually fairly quick. A guy could do it from plans without much downtime at all... Build the X-member ahead of time, weld it in (okay, you have to move the gas tank, I know), setup another axle with all the brackets in the mean time and build the links ahead. Then you just unbolt the leaf springs and old axle, pop in the new stuff and weld in some top brackets for the coil springs. If there was a kit it'd be an easy weekend swap that way. I didn't have the best plans and lost all my notes anyways, so it took a lot more sticking stuff in and trying it than it should have.

The front is gonna suck. I keep looking at it and wishing I had the notes I'd made. I'll figure it out.

Yeah that stuff looks intemidating. I was looking at the coil conversion for the rear of an XJ and for about $2500 not so much, rather build my own , but better yet leave it alone and wheel the pi$$ out of it. comancheB.gif

How much longer you think untill you got her set up in rolling mode?

I'm going on tour for 'about a month' sometime next week, and I'm only here (where the truck is) until saturday. 'About a month' for a tour means something more like they're going to send me away and forget about me until they start trying to figure out where that company truck went. So, let's say I need another 2 weeks of work on it, but I can't do it for at least 6 weeks.

• 13 years later...