Look at what I got today!

Knucklehead97

I have 32s with a auto and 3:55s and it is a dog. Can I run 80? Yes. Will I do it for extended periods of time, nope. I will eventually drop 4.10s in my diffs.

I used to run 33s on the stock 3.55 axles. Ran 80-85 for 400 miles like that headed to Badlands Offroad Park.

Had 3.55 axles under mine for awhile with 255/75/17 32" tires it really wasn't that bad I could run 80-85 fine and faster if I was brave enough. The only thing that bothered me and forced me to go to 4.10's was the constant downshifting on the interstate with the aw4.

in the world of big tires, the manual trans needs MORE gearing help when starting from a stop.  otherwise the clutch can suffer immensely.  the torque converter in an auto is a good bandaid that makes up for a lack of low gears. 

3.55 geared axles are so plentiful in the junkyards that no one should have to settle for 3.07s.  3.07s suck.

in the world of big tires, the manual trans needs MORE gearing help when starting from a stop. otherwise the clutch can suffer immensely. the torque converter in an auto is a good bandaid that makes up for a lack of low gears.

3.55 geared axles are so plentiful in the junkyards that no one should have to settle for 3.07s. 3.07s suck.

exactly! Even me, with crappy junkyards, can get a set of 3.55 geared axles from a Cherokee for around $250-300.

But if a 3.07 geared D44 falls in your lap, that's what you run with.

That being said my cherokee on 31's now and 32's previously is great on 4.10's

I have 210k on the clutch.

I wouldn't want any taller gears than that for any reason. Summertime averages 20 mpg.

That's all around driving.

Yes, the speedo has the right gear in it.

Can't wait to get new gears so I can get 31's...

I run 80 on the highway and wheel often with 32's and 3.55's
is that with a stick or auto? My brother had a XJ with an auto and 3.55's with 32's and it was still peppy.

Auto.

There was a car built in the late forties, early fifties with a manual transmission and fluid clutch. I think it was a Chrysler . Maybe we should think about bring ing it back.

Fluid drive by Chrysler. The problem with this system however was drive train power loss, like about 40%.  :eek:

There was a car built in the late forties, early fifties with a manual transmission and fluid clutch. I think it was a Chrysler . Maybe we should think about bring ing it back.

Jim, we are just a couple of old farts.  I remember driving with a fellow in high school in a Plymouth with "fluid" drive?  Three on the tree with a fluid clutch.  Think his car was a 1949 Plymouth.  My first car was a 53 Studebaker with a Borg Warner 3 speed automatic and a 232 V8

Edit:  I see another old fart answered!