88 4cylinder 5speed mud truck

Just bought a 88 commanche yesterday for $400. 2.5 4cylinder with 5speed manual. Not sure if 4wd though. Was too excited and forgot to check. Picking it up next weekend. Can't figure how how to post a pic. Help???

That's what I was thinking mnkyboy. And I definitely do. First I just wanna get it running and 4wd swap. I have a spare set of 31's I'm gonna throw on for now. How much lift will it need to clear them? I've never touched a commanche before

Just going to take a wild guess and say that, considering the algae growth on it, it doesn't run. Fix that part before you think about lifting it. I also see what looks like a lot of very badly spread Bondo on that bed.

It looks like you have a lot of work to do before even considering turning it into a "mud truck." In any case, good luck!

Obviously I'm gonna get it running and driving before everything else. I already bought a battery, distributor, plugs, and wires and a new fuel filter just for good measure and the bondo I don't care about. It's getting a rattle can camo paint job

Depending on where you are located I have a transfer case out of an 89 laying around I don't need, its mated to an aw4 auto but that won't work with the 2.5. I have the front dana 30 from the 89 too if you want a CAD axle.

I'm in New Jersey. And my parents live in kingston ny so I have easy access to both areas

• 2 weeks later...

Alec,

I was trying to lead you to study for yourself......much reading is required.

The 2WD AX5 that you have will need to be replaced with a 4WD AX5.......they are NOT the same. You cannot just swap a tail shaft.

Further, your Comanche is not a F150, the likelihood of you puring in fresh gas and a new battery and having it fire up is next to 0.....nil.

You really need to read up.

The tail shaft housing that's on the back of every transmission which allows either a transfer case to be bolted on or turns the output shaft into a yoke. I think you need to do some reading as well if you don't know what a tailshaft is