MJOTM - April, 2015 - xjustinx's '89 Pioneer

It is April! Yes, I could've done some sort of temporary April fool's day something or other but instead let's just have a look at this month's MJOTM, shall we? That's really what this truck is all about... no nonsense. I've been following this build for a while now and there really haven't been all that many updates which is totally fine! The posts that are there, however, completely make up for it. I'm talkin' about keeping things business at hand!... and this guy knows how to do it...

grunge-tank.regular.png

YEAR/MODEL

1989 Comanche Pioneer

●

ENGINE/PERFORMANCE

4.0 Renix 124,000 miles, Updated valve cover from Grand Cherokee.

●

DRIVETRAIN

Jeep was originally 2wd, converted with aw4 transmission and np231 transfer case, high pinion dana 30 G2 4.10 gear set , front axle has jks mini-skids and I fitted a Rawk krawler truss to the dana 30. Ford 8.8 rear from Explorer 4.10 gear ratio with Spartan locker. Solid Diff covers front and rear. I upgraded stock gear selector with RADesigns rock shifter and Transmission control with Baja II shifter.

●

COOLING

Open cooling system conversion, Transmission cooler from 1st Gen Explorer

●

ELECTRICAL/IGNITION

Made new battery cables based on 5-90 designed cables with 2 gauge welding wire. Military battery terminals. Rebranded Deka AMG battery from Napa.

●

SUSPENSION/STEERING

Front: Clayton Offroad Long arm, Rustys 4.5 inch springs, JKS ACOS spacers, JKS quicker disconnects, Bilstein 5100 long arm shocks, Iron Rock Offroad track bar.

Rear: SOA conversion, Bilstein 5125 shocks, M.O.R.E. Offroad spring perch and shock mounts, 2wd Comanche springs.

●

INTERIOR

All stock, removed the carpet and painted the floor. Upgraded to a Cd player out of a 2002 Lancer.

●

BRAKES

Rear disc brakes. Replaced stock brake proportioning valve with one from a Jeep Grand Cherokee. Eliminated the load sensing valve from rear of Comanche

●

LIGHTING

Rear Light on the bed side.

● EXTERIOR

Dirtbound offroad manta ray bumper, Warn M8000 winch, Trail Gear Rock sliders, Jcr Offroad Diy rear bumper.

●

WHEELS/TIRES

Eagle Alloy wheels, rear spacers, 33x10.5 15 Bfg Km2 Mud terrains

FULL BUILD THREAD HERE

●

Remember That One Time?... Tell Us Your Best MJ Story

It was 10 min in to my drive home from Alabama the night I bought it. I found out the the transfer case output seal was leaking like a sieve. A hour and half drive from Birmingham turned into a 3 hr drive cause I had to keep making stops to fill the case so I didn't run it dry. To go along with that issue the ride home was white knuckle because the rear shocks were only loosely U-BOLTED!! to the axle, and the truck didnt have a sway bar. It was a wild ride home.

●

CC is Awesome!... Why Do You Think So?

Knowledgeable bunch of guys that don't mind to help out. Love reading the build threads.

●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●

Very nice, sir. Very, very nice! Like I said already, I've followed your build from the beginning and I've enjoyed the whole ride. Seems like everything in it is there for a reason all the way down to that oddly placed rear facing light. I love it! Swell truck and congratulations!

-Ben

This post has been promoted to an article

can you tell us about your shifters?

Yeah no prob. The rock shifter replaces the stock shifter and let's you slide back and forth from drive to reverse to "rock" the truck. The Baja shifter is how I actually shift the truck. It was originally a manual trans so it doesn't have a transmission computer. I just put the truck in Drive then I manually shift it 1st-4th.

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...