89 Southern Mj: First Jeep

I decided to jump into the Jeep world a few days before christmas 2012. Some of my friends have off road toys as secondary cars so I decided to get one as well. This is my first real 4x4 build but its not my first car build so here she is:

Basically what she looked like when I got it. 31 tires soa on dana 35 and worn out leafs with no overload springs. Swapped from 2wd 5-speed to 4x4 HP dana 30 aw4.

First thing I did was strip the interior to spray the floor. Thank god there was zero rust cause this jeep was leaking water like a sieve from every common place a Jeep can leak!

Then I fixed the starting issues it had by making my own cables out of 2 gauge welding wire.

Fixed leaky valve cover with a brand new Zj cover and it allowed me to convert the ccv system to the newer style. Motor is all stock with 112k miles. I also replaced a broken motor mount and the exhaust from cat all the way back.

So the Comanche was originally 2wd 5-speed but was converted by a previous owner. When I got it, it still had the clutch pedal in it and super spongy brakes to go along. I swapped in an auto brake pedal assembly and decided to ditch the stock shifter and switch setup that was in the truck. Since the truck didnt have a transmission control unit it has to be manually switched through the gears, so I  decided to get a RADesigns Baja II shifter and the stock location Rock shifter to simplify the shifting.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There was so much janky wiring from previous head unit installs under the dash and in the engine bay it wasnt even funny. I cleaned everything up and installed a lancer radio from my girlfriends car lol. The switch is for the torque lock up. I also made a faceplate and gauge mount for the clock location.

I upgraded the broken interior lights with S10 blazer rear cargo lights. Stole the idea from another member lol. They work great and you only have to file a tiny bit off of the hole to make em fit.

Last month I installed a Ford 8.8 with 4.10 gears. Super straight forward swap. Got the axle out of pull-a-part for $170  :banana: Then I picked up M.O.R.E. axle perches and shock mounts. I used Rubicon Express spring plates and U-bolts. Total for the swap was about 290 dollars, I already upgraded the brake lines and replaced the worn out leafs with a really good 2wd set out of the jy as well. So the 8.8 was the icing on the cake for the rear end. Now I got to get a lunchbox locker and Solid diff cover.

I also upgraded the front end. Truck came with 4.5in lift springs I then added ACOS, prothane bump stops, JKS quicker disconnects, IRO upper and lower control arms (temporary till I upgrade to longarm later down the road), IRO track bar, Crown brake lines, rukse upper control arm bushings, and Zone off road swaybar extended mounts.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...