Your fav. Coil Springs and Shocks

I have tried a variety of coils... Skyjacker, SuperLift, RE, Moog V8 progressive, Nth...

My favorite, by far, is the Nth degree paired with Bilstein shocks. OME shocks are a close second IMHO. 

EDIT

The coils, starting from the left: 

Nth Degree - Rubicon Express - Moog V8 ZJ 

Nth Degree 3" TJ Lift coils (previously known as AEV coils, a true 3" coil)

Rubicon Express 3.5 " TJ Lift coils with 100K miles on them (these only netted 3" of lift after years of use and found residence under the '86 MJ) 

Moog V8 ZJ (these lift a TJ about 2")

You can see the Nth and Moog (progressive rate) provide you more spring than the RE for the recognized lift. I realize I am comparing TJ coils, but that is simply to establish a base. Obviously you know that a TJ spring will lift a 6cyl MJ 1" less than its advertised height. The progressive rate coils provide an outstanding ride yet maintain lift height when weight is added. 

I ran RE springs for a while but felt they were too soft, I had to add spacers when I put my winch on to prevent it from bottoming out. I've ran Rock Krawler coils for about a decade now with no complaints. For shocks I would recommend Bilstien 5150's.

Well I have the feeling that  I'll be the odd man out but I've just finished my mixed bag.... 

I have 2" coils ( can't remember who ) they are a bit softer than stepping up to full coils 

ACOS coil spring spacers

Iron Rock rear AALs

NAPA YJ brake lines

Rough Country Control Arm Drop Brackets

Rough Country Disconnects

Rough Country N2.0 shocks all the way around

My main thing is good customer service which I have always gotten with Rough Country who

I also used to buid my 97' XJ. 

I prefer to purchase direct and want to see good feedback and a good warranty.

That way I have no middle-man to deal with IF I have a problem. 

Happy with what I have. 

• 1 month later...

OME and OME.

Hornbrod,

I thought I would move my coil spring questioning to a more relevant thread; I'm putting together my shopping list and am, as always, trying to stretch my dollar. I'm sold on your OME shock recommendation. Can you describe the difference I'd experience between the OME 2930 coils and the Moog Upcountry progressive coils? It seems they might net me about the same ride height. There's a $100 difference between the OME and Moog's so I'm just trying to figure out where I need to spend.

Thanks in advance

No, I can not. I have never tried the Moog Upcountry progressive coils and the OMEs on the same vehicle to compare the two. You'll have to do a search to see if anyone has - sorry.

Don,

I plan to add a small winch bracket (pictured below) and a winch, possibly lights. Should I consider a heavier spring to compensate for the added weight of winch+bracket?

01313_d7G3Ow1Z79a_600x450.jpg

I installed OME coils and shocks.  I have been very pleased with them. The ride was much improved over the brand new OEM shocks I installed the previous summer.  I should point out the design of the truck is still almost 30 years old so it won't act like a ford raptor.  But if I were to do it over again, I would buy them again.

In that case I'd probably go with the V8 ZJ front coils, #2934.

Thanks, Don. So if I were to try to save a penny and go cheap with the Moogs, would I go with the CC784's or would the progressive nature of the spring give me more lift than I want? In that case, I would stick with the CC782

It looks like I'm actually going with a Warn Trans4mer and a light utility winch (possibly upgrade to a real winch down the road).

00j0j_iekBCYUIouK_600x450.jpg

In that case I'd probably go with the V8 ZJ front coils, #2934.

Don,

One more question and I'll try my best to leave you alone; since you would recommend going with the heavier ZJ front coils to compensate for droop caused by winch and accessories, would you recommend that I get the heavy duty 60046 shocks vs. the light duty?

I don't want to have too stiff of a ride or end up with too much lift(more than 2.5"), but I don't want to sag too much either.

I am going to get the Moog 784 springs vs. the OME; I have to save money somewhere.

Thanks again