4.0 water pump: I know, just need a straight answer

Hi.

Got a '92 4.0 manche. Stock engine.

I've been hearing my water pump squawk at me recently, so gotta start thinking about replacing it.

All the research I do is confusing.

All I'm trying to do is replace my stock water pump with something a little better if advised....like a Hepco.

Is this an upgrade? I don't want to start a holy war. If it's sketchy and a stock one will do the trick more efficiently, where do I get one that won't poop out on me in 1 month? Is any old brand off Amazon okay? Mopar?

Many thanks!

Just a question....you say the pump squeaks....does it leak????   a pump leaks out of a drain hole at the bottom when done......

A squeak could be a blown idler pulley or just a loose belt........just a thought.

I have the HESCO Hi-Flo water pump only because it came with my stroker crate engine. If I had to buy one separately for $169+ I wouldn't do it - not worth the $$ and isn't necessary for a stock engine. I would just replace your existing pump with a good quality Mopar unit. There are new Mopar V9900083 pumps on Ebay that will fit your 92 for $60. Stay away from "remanufactured" units.

I will tell you what the machinist told me-

When I showed him how much blow-by my 2.5 has, he said bore number one is worn out from being too cold or from getting too hot then having cold water forced at it.

I've been running a 180 stat and I think I'll go back to the 192, I've already bought a new stock water pump.

I have the HESCO Hi-Flo water pump only because it came with my stroker crate engine. If I had to buy one separately for $169+ I wouldn't do it - not worth the $$ and isn't necessary for a stock engine. I would just replace your existing pump with a good quality Mopar unit. There are new Mopar V9900083 pumps on Ebay that will fit your 92 for ~$60. Stay away from "remanufactured" units.

Nice!

Thanks for the input.

hornbrod--Just to be sure; the Mopar V9900083 pump on ebay will fit and function correctly on my 1992 MJ? Says its for a 97 XJ or something...

Thanks!

I have the spare water pump from my 2000 on my 88 currently ... Same pump as what I pulled off the 88.

A 4.0 water pump is a 4.0 water pump. Apparently also fits the 2.5 as well, from my research to date.

In my case all the pumps are Carbone and have never had an issue.