Get Heater Hotter

Never noticed until this winter, heater isn't hot enough. Not really complaining but this winter is rather chilly. My truck's heater get warm it's not broken. It gets hot enough to defrost the windows but not enough to keep the cab warm the entire time. Especially when I'm on the highway it can't heat up the cab enough. Anyone know how to increase the heat coming out. Not just the air flow I mean the temperature.

i agree

is it a 2.5 or 4.0?

also just learned about this, in the pic below the heater valve is vacc. operated amd sometimes doesn't let coolant into the core and it bypasses through the jug and back to your w-pump. it does this when heat is not in use. sometimes it gets finicky and doesn't work when its supposed too. if flushing the core don't work this could very well be the problem.

6 cyl. 4.0 style.

51120-jeep-coolant-bottle.jpg

As already stated, start simple.

Check to make sure you have:

1. The correct type & amount of coolant- a low coolant level can cause lack of heat issues

2. Heater valve is functioning correctly ( already stated by Blaine)

3. Heater controls are functioning properly- sometimes the controls are not functioning properly allowing the heater box to switch from defrost to heat, etc.

4. You have the correct thermostat ( many folks place a lower temp thermostat in vehicles)

5. Water pump is not working correctly- a corroded or non functioning impeller on the water pump will result in lack of water flow. What is the current operating

temp of the truck andhas it raisin recently.

6. Flush coolant system  ( a clogged hose, heater core or non-functioning heater valve)

7. Heater hose(s) are old, have collapsed internally and warrant replacement

7. Heater core is clogged, replacement warranted

thanks guys ill have to look into it in the morning.It does work i mean it defrosts well just this winters cold makes it a bear to drive in. I don't want to be sinking too much into this engine because its getting replaced this spring for a chevy 350. more power than my little 2.8L. thanks again i'll end up looking through it tomorrow before i head back to college.

Could just insulate the truck better, So it stays warmer easier in the winter.

For under $100 you can do your entire cab with "Frost king" Foil covered Closed cell rubber matting, (Poor mans dynomat)  From home depot

Helps quite your cab from road noise, Also helps to insulate the cab from cold.

Could just insulate the truck better, So it stays warmer easier in the winter.

This. My heater works great, but my door seals aren't so hot. If the wind's blowing from the wrong direction the side of my left side gets a little chilly. I also once got a cold breeze at the back of my neck, and I suspect it had something to do with the b-pillar cab vent, but I can't be sure.

Yes I do have a split window, but I'd have to disagree with you on the decorativeness of the b-pillar vents. When I've got my truck running with the heat on, there's warm air coming out of the cab vents.

In order to be able to close the doors easily, there has to be some way to relieve the pressure built up from slamming a door shut. There also has to be somewhere for air to escape so the heater/ac can continue delivering fresh air. On the XJ the vents are in the rear hatch (I think). MJ's have no rear hatch, so the solution was putting vents in the b-pillars.

Interesting. Pulled mine (just one side) to fix a dent left by the PO couple months ago :shake:  Was surprised because I found no ventilation opening, just solid metal. Not saying you're wrong, but at least on mine there's no vent-opening beneath the plastic.

Checked so the rear window's got a good seal?Just an idea when you mentioned the cool air hitting the back of your neck. My 88's really bad around the doors, the rubber-seal's been worn to shreds from freezing against the metal and being "ripped" when opening the doors. Have to fix that some day :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

I think they differ per year too. I've seen a 1990 that there were no vents behind it but my 86 has a vent behind it. Different technology through the years might have made that change but they kept it for looks because it distinguished the MJ.  As far as my tuck being cold guys it fixed its self i think it was just because of the negative 30s compared to the teens we have now.

I just checked put the B-pillar panels in my MJ body parts manual. All domestic (N. America) MJ had vents on both sides with a rubber flapper valve under the exterior panel to supposedly allow air out of the cab but nor in. But it's just a rubber piece, and most have probably disintegrated away.

Also, some of the export models had an extra sheet metal reinforcement piece in the B panel, that probably means there was no vent in some of them.