What is the purpose of the rear vent behind door

I believe it's an interior pressure relief vent. So that when you slam the doors shut or kick the A/C on full blast, the air has somewhere to go. I accidentally covered the vents in my Dakota and it would hurt your ears if you slammed the door shut. :(

I've tried to figure that out too. Obviously it's a signature theme but beyond aesthetics, I believe it allows the area behind the trim panels to breathe, hence moisture that accumulates can evaporate and dry. Just a therom, may not be realistic.

Inquiring minds wanna know.

Hey Pete that sounds good too! I have a restored VW Bug that I can't close the door on with one closing. You havta get it on the first catch then use force to click the second. Too many holes in my Comanche to proof it but my 03 Dakota does the same thing but not everytime.

Guys it's basic air flow principle. In order to let fresh air to come in you have to let some out. Except for recirculating air conditioning, all heat/vents system use fresh air in our case from the base of the windshield. On the XJ the air leaves the cabin through the slots in the right side panels in the cargo area (and where ever it leaks thru) and goes out through the rear most dor jam vents. The B post on a 4 door does not have vents so for the MJ they vented out thru the speakers and out the door post. Also most pickups don't have much body work behind the doors because they are not sharing doors with a 4 door and can be longer. So the designers kill two problems by extending the cab so that vents could be incorporated.

but my 03 Dakota does the same thing but not everytime.

Vents for an 00 regular cab Dak are located in the back wall. That's all I know for sure.

Check Pete, I will investigate that. I have a tarp, sleeping bag, coveralls and a myriad of other things back there like bags with ropes etc... I probably have them blocked. It do pop yur ears don't it?