Another Project I'm Working On

here's a wagon I'm building from scratch for my daughter. Ive been working on it on and off for over a year now and it has to be done by October 21st. I made real progress on it last weekend. The tub started off as a horse trough from Tractor supply. It was much deeper and longer when I got it. I shortened it heightwise and lengthwise and welded it back together. I then made a frame from 3/4" angle iron scrap. The steering head is a heavy duty caster, and the axles are made from all thread and tubing with flanges welded on each end. It will be painted in a traditonal red wagon way, possibly with some custom made decals either in Radio Flyer or a custom one I designed incorporating my daughters name. Ill post more pics when its done!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

here's the next one. Shes getting bigger, and is ready for a bigger bike. We bought her a Jeep bike, 14 inch I think, but she was just about too big for it when we bought it. This one is a 20 inch made maybe in the 60's or early 70's. It is solid, but well worn. The guy I got it from put new tires on it and threw in another seat and training wheels. I think I'm going to paint it whatever color my daughter wants and generally clean it up, straighten the fenders and get it ready for another generations use.

And as you would know it, after I bought this one, I showed it to a freind of mine, and he says " I have one just like that you can HAVE if you want it." His will need new tires as well, and who knows what else. I havent seen it yey. Ill get it this weekend. This one is a Schwinn. They are both convertable bikes meaning they can change from boys bikes to girls bikes, and both are missing the boys bar. There won't be much customization on these, so hopefully they won't take very long to do. here's a pic of the Schwinn.

Yes, the second one is a Bantam.... The Bantam. From the bit of research Ive found, there really isnt a whole lot of value in these. I paid $60 for the Flyer, and have seen the Schwinns going for under a hundred. The Schwinn seems to be much more common. The only examples of the American Flyer Ive found havent been Flyers, but Columbia Converticycles.... same bike but with chrome fenders. There is little to no info that I can find on any of those. I asked my dealership body shop about painting the frame an automotive color today, so hopefully I can get that ready pretty soon and get this thing knocked out. Ill keep you updated!