No Reverse Lights

Are you absolutely sure that the 7.5 amp TRANS fuse under the dash is good?  Look for a bent pin in the NSS connector also?

Does the Power/Comfort button work? (it's on the same TRANS fuse under the dash).

In case someone with a 91 (or possibly 92) has a similar backup light problem, this only applies to a Renix systems. There is no under dash Trans fuse for the HOs. The POWER/COMFORT switch is fed by an independent 10A fuse up in the PDC. Pulling this fuse defaults the AW4 to the POWER mode.

Good to know.

This information does not apply to those with a manual transmission.

Wanna bet? According to my Renix MJ diagram, the reverse light circuit is fed by a 7.5 amp TRANS fuse.

So ParadiseMJ and I are wrong?  I just wouldn't have thought there would be a TRANS fuse used on a stick shift Jeep.  Just like ParadiseMJ said, I would have thought the backup light switch on a manual would be just that, a switch.  But I know you're far more knowledgeable about Jeeps than I am, so I surrender haha.

Wanna bet? According to my Renix MJ diagram, the reverse light circuit is fed by a 7.5 amp TRANS fuse.

Correct. I just tested this a minute ago an my 1987 2.5/AX5 manual transmission: ignition on, shifter in reverse to turn the reverse lights on. I then pulled the 7.5 amp trans fuse and the reverse lights went out.

Correct. I just tested this a minute ago an my 1987 2.5/AX5 manual transmission: ignition on, shifter in reverse to turn the reverse lights on. I then pulled the 7.5 amp trans fuse and the reverse lights went out.

I woke up this morning knowing someone would try this overnight. Thanks.

AHHHHHHHH I am soo excited, 4 years with no revese lights, 1 headlamp hooked up to a toggle switch on the rear bumper later, it was just that dang fuse missing from previous owner so I never thought it was supposed to be there. ! I never imagined that reverse light was hooked up to the trans fuse!!!! I could never find a wiring diagram to confirm that but it doesnt matter now, they work!!!! Now I have to rip out that hillbilly reverse light I had rigged up! So I am also confirming, I have a 2.5 with a 4 speed manual and the revrse light run with that trans fuse. This truck is in way better shape than it ever has since I've had it. I just got the new gas tank in, U joints, fixed the revese lights, new wood dash and radio from a cherokee, fixing all the lights and this puppy will be 100% road ready! Thanks for the help!

AHHHHHHHH I am soo excited, 4 years with no revese lights, 1 headlamp hooked up to a toggle switch on the rear bumper later, it was just that dang fuse missing from previous owner so I never thought it was supposed to be there. ! I never imagined that reverse light was hooked up to the trans fuse!!!! I could never find a wiring diagram to confirm that but it doesnt matter now, they work!!!! Now I have to rip out that hillbilly reverse light I had rigged up! So I am also confirming, I have a 2.5 with a 4 speed manual and the revrse light run with that trans fuse. This truck is in way better shape than it ever has since I've had it. I just got the new gas tank in, U joints, fixed the revese lights, new wood dash and radio from a cherokee, fixing all the lights and this puppy will be 100% road ready! Thanks for the help!

You'll be crapping in tall cotton real soon!!!!

• 9 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 6 years later...