I Finally Got It......brought Home The J10...

rocketwheels

I had said earlier (several months ago) that I had the opportunity to get a '79 J10 and I was able to work it out. Here is is in all its uglyness. Ditched the topper shell,  360 cui ,Holley 4bbl and alum intake, granny low 4spd, Dana axles.....all the other trucks in the neighborhood are afraid to drive down my street.

Big plans...BIG , BIG plans !!!   can you say yellow with blue stripes, some angle iron and a washingmachine tub in the back and a custom plate that reads DOROTHY ?

IMG_0701-vi.jpgIMG_0690-vi.jpg

Big plans...BIG , BIG plans !!!   can you say yellow with blue stripes, some angle iron and a washingmachine tub in the back and a custom plate that reads DOROTHY ?

Tell me you're not serious. Restore, don't destroy.

really hornbron...... just changing the color, adding a brush gaurd, a light bar with lights and a self contained portable Digital Orthographic Telemeter, satellite comlink, on-board Pulse Doppler, real time NEXRAD unit. Oh yeah.... and a couple of CB antennas.

twister1.jpg

Really guys , stop being so serious. not cutting it up, just making it fun. My girls ( now ages 14 and 12 years old) love to go to car shows and events, and what could be more fun than showing up at a car show in the Twister j10. They just loved the AMC pacer we had for a while, they really enjoyed how happy were to talk with them about "Their" little car! Imagine how much fun they will have with this beast at a show !!

1978PacerWagon22-vi.jpg

Chill guys, I'm not to crazy about the Twister theme either, but just be glad he is not "pimping" it out and putting spinners on it. . . . .  or worse.    Actually, if its done right i don't think it will look half bad, but to be honest having "dorothy" in the bed will make it look incredibly tacky, IMHO. Please don't hate me rocketwheels   :peek:

This is not photoshopped. :ack:

yj-edit.jpg

dnezc4.jpg

dnezc4.jpg

That is a nice truck, I'd rather see one like this ^ rather then some rattle canned "resto".

Different strokes for different folks although I'm not big on movie clones more power to you if it is done right.

Don't worry, I'll do the truck justice. Phoenix Graphics sells the decals for the Honcho like the ones on the Twister j10, the light bar and brushgaurd are a natural addition....and Dorothy doesn't have to be bolted down. I intend to make it truly portable, and still have the truck for regular duty.

Those of you that remember when I got Sgt. Rock, the 87 ComancheSWB out of the chicken shed were he sat for so many years, I've put him to good use, close to 40k on it and he helps carry firewood out of the mountains every winter. The camo paint job makes him instantly recognizeable everywhere I go. I don't mind "Camo" or a movie "clone"...but you'd never catch me in one of those big wheeled freaks. There is a certain level of acceptable "Tacky", and they crossed it by a wide margin !

The brush guard on the Twister truck is factory, at least in that picture. They had several trucks, and they didn't do a good job making them identical. For example: The truck in that pic doesn't have a brow, but in several scenes of the movie there is a brow on the truck.

Anyways, yea... factory guard. Had one just like it on my '74. There are two versions, one for the 3pc bumper like on the older trucks, and one for the 1pc 80s bumper like on the twister truck. They can both be modified to work on each, all it requires is the mounting tabs to be cut off and relocated. Something that was not done yet in this pic, and you can tell by the end pieces of my bumper sticking away from the middle piece. Ignore the googly eyes, only pics I have of the brush guard on includes the eyes in it.

Not very easy. I just happened to get lucky and a guy on IFSJA who no longer had a FSJ was getting rid of parts he had in storage, brush guard happened to be one such part and I jumped on it since he was in the same state. Finding a solid one is even harder since they rusted out at the curve of the square tube since the ends of them were not capped and mud and stuff would get slung inside from the tires. It would be easy for a shop to fabricate one I would think, the thing is very simple in construction.

Uh, why all the negativity here? Restorations are good and all, but what's the point of owning a vehicle and not  modifying it to the way YOU want it to be?

The same argument being made about changing this "cherry" could could be made against those of you who modify MJ's in any way, shape, or fashion in the first place. It's no different than the pot calling the kettle black, so to speak.

Point is, it's a cool truck and a cool piece of history to own. As long as it's still running and being used is a miracle in and of itself. There aren't too many J-Trucks left on the road nowadays anyway; all the more reason to make it stand out amongst those that are left.

On topic though, I am decidedly jealous. My MJ is based around that movie / truck. It's what got me into the Jeep game in the first place. :cheers: Would love to see a build on it if you decide to go with it. :thumbsup:

The brush guard on the Twister truck is factory, at least in that picture. They had several trucks, and they didn't do a good job making them identical. For example: The truck in that pic doesn't have a brow, but in several scenes of the movie there is a brow on the truck.

Anyways, yea... factory guard. Had one just like it on my '74. There are two versions, one for the 3pc bumper like on the older trucks, and one for the 1pc 80s bumper like on the twister truck. They can both be modified to work on each, all it requires is the mounting tabs to be cut off and relocated. Something that was not done yet in this pic, and you can tell by the end pieces of my bumper sticking away from the middle piece. Ignore the googly eyes, only pics I have of the brush guard on includes the eyes in it.

jizz-in-my-pants-andy-samberg1.jpg

Got the J-10 fired up today. Went ahead and replaced the fuel pump and added 2 fuel filters in line (a visible paper one and a visible mesh screen one). The new pump wasn't pumping so went backward from there and replaced every rubber fuel line from the carb on back to the tank. Tried to blow backward with my airline, but something is clogging the line at or in the tank. Unless it rains, I'll try to drop the tank tomorrow and replace the last rubber line connecting to it. Lucky it doesn't have much old gas in it !

That big 360 with the holley and the glass packs sure sounds good !