Uss Alabama:

Sir Sam

I made my first tour of the Alabama with a business associate who had served as an engineering officer aboard a battleship. Like having Rembrandt as your own personal art museum tour guide.

You really don't appreciate the firepower until you look into the breech of one of the main guns and see the size of the shells and powder charges.

Aww,, it's not so hot. I once challenged them to a duel. Them with their big assed BS and me with a single shot .22. They declined. Something about their BS floating abilities on North Dakota prairie. They did however, make a counter challenge. One hundred miles off shore. I declined. :rotfl2:

I think this weekend I will take a trip out to the USS Alabama, if the weather is nice. I have been wanting to go back lately but now I really want to go haha

The National Naval Aviation Museum in Pensacola FL is "near by (edit: a hour from Mobile)" its pretty cool and has free admission and free parking. http://www.navalaviationmuseum.org/visit

...now i really want to go to both museums again

Aww,, it's not so hot. I once challenged them to a duel. Them with their big assed BS and me with a single shot .22. They declined. Something about their BS floating abilities on North Dakota prairie. They did however, make a counter challenge. One hundred miles off shore. I declined. :rotfl2:

:rotfl2:

When did you go see the Alabama? It's about 30 min from my house

Yesterday, it was nice out. I'm in town for sea trials on the LCS4 USS Coronado.

I don't mean to ask so many questions lol, but what ship yard is it coming from, Austal in Mobile, or Northrop Grumman in Pasagoula MS?

Tremendous firepower yes, in it's day. Battleships have been dinosaurs for decades. Even though the 16" main guns can lob a shell weighing as much as a VW over two miles, a small Seawolf class fast attack submarine fifty miles away can run it down undetected in ten minutes and sink it with one torpedo. Or sink it from fifty miles away with a Tomahawk missile. They sure are neat to look at though. 

Tremendous firepower yes, in it's day. Battleships have been dinosaurs for decades. Even though the 16" main guns can lob a shell weighing as much as a VW over two miles, a small Seawolf class fast attack submarine fifty miles away can run it down undetected in ten minutes and sink it with one torpedo. Or sink it from fifty miles away with a Tomahawk missile. They sure are neat to look at though. 

i hear what ur saying but as good as an ar15 is it's still not a model 70 winchester.

A little more than two miles, more like 23.

A little more than two miles, more like 23.

Oops, you're right.  My bad.   :thumbsup:

I've toured the Texas BB35 down near Houston, the Lexington CV16 in Corpus, and the Blueback SS581 in Portland. They all are impressive in their own ways, but they do not have the presence of a WWII era battleship like the Alabama. Great pictures- love em.