Maura Gets A Facelift. 1990 4X4

Nothing but body work going on. I'm also adding a paint room on to the shop.

For some luck reason, all the dents were in places where I could get behind them and use a hammer and dollie. The speaker hole inside the door, and the seat belt mechanism behind the seat were great openings to allow access.

Even though I'm not doing a color change, I wanted to sand inside all the spaces, so I decided to remove the front grill assembly.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

More boring body work. I got the final coat of filler on after removing the pin stripping with an eraser tool. First time I ever used one. Best $20 spent ever!

I'm hoping to get some paint laid down next weekend if all goes well.

Looking good!  Looking at the bodywork I take it you decided against the towing mirrors??

Yes I did. While I like the size of them for sure, and they have that "truck" look to them, I like being able to adjust the mirrors from the inside also. The other factor is I don't like how they warp the door skin sheet metal.

• 2 weeks later...

Spent 6 more hours wet sanding and block sanding. Very happy with the results. Shot the final coat of primer on, now a final wet sand with 360 grit, and ready for paint. Can't happen fast enough for me.

Springs are from General Spring, and were a group buy. There is a thread on them in the tech section. I honestly don't remember the prices of the rears, but the fronts were something like $75 from mudflaps.com and the shocks in front were takeoffs from my 06 Rubicon when I switched to bilsteins. I don't recommend rough country shocks, as they are pretty crappy. I always blow them out after a couple months of wheeling.

The plan is to paint tomorrow! Wet sanding with 360 at the moment.

seriously man, really nice, I'm having to use akward methods for my stuff cause i aint loaded, and some people are getting upset about the stuff i do, yet all of it works 100% and have had no issue lol, its funny how everything has to be commercial now, but seriosuly again, amazing job man, keep us updated, and really nice painting man,. i blow at it lol

Here are some shots of the paint process

Masked and ready.....

Two Coats of Urethane Single Stage white.

After third coat.

The lighting is kind of bad for photography, but it was fine for the paint. This is before the clear coats. Once I unmask, I will pull Maura out into the sunshine and snap some better pics.

Maura sees daylight.

Still need to color sand, and buff.

BTW, the sun is barely up, so you can't see the shine, but trust me with 4 heavy coats of clear on top of a single stage urethane paint, it is there.

Great job! All of the prep work you did really shows in the quality of that paint.

Beautiful truck!

Thanks Warrior. I'm planning to u-pol line the lower part of the truck, and install flat bushwackers.

The JCR front and rear bumpers will arrive soon, so still have a lot of customizing to do. I like knowing the rusty parts are fixed for sure. The engine is basically brand new, so I expect a lot of future miles to be trouble free with this truck. I'm still debating 30's or 31's. Looking at a set of Falken tires, but don't want to pull the trigger until I get all the other work finished.

I'd love to find a factory roll bar, but I own a tube bender and the software, so I might as well make one. 2" DOM would be nice, but I only have 1 3/4" dies, so that will have to do.

What wheels are you going to use for the tires?  The current turbine wheels?

I also have a set of aluminum factory wheels off of a 93 G.C. but  I think I like the turbines better, so am thinking I will clean them up and run them for now. I may polish the smooth aluminum, and black out the rest.

I was just looking at JCROFFROAD DIY front and rear bumpers. Did you go that direction or get finished ones?

Wish I kept the factory roll bar when I sold my Sport truck. Those fat tubes!!

I'm purchasing a used set of JCR bumpers from a member here, so they are already welded.

Nice job with the body and paint BTW. Must give you a lot of satisfaction knowing its done the right way and without sending it out to a shop.

Thanks! Paint & Body work is one of those items where you get what you pay for, and I just didn't want to spend that kind of money. 

I drove the truck yesterday to SubWay to get lunch, and I parked way out. I'm looking out the window at the truck eating, and a car pulls in right next to the truck. It was kind of windy, so I thinking a door ding is going to occur. I tore out of the shop, and stood by, and you would have thought the lady getting out was thinking I was going to mug her.

This got me to thinking about why did I paint it so perfectly? What will it feel like when I get that first ding? :doh:

Got my JCR bumper installed on the rear.

The aluminum around the back window is also repainted, but not shown in the picture. Front bumper hopefully will be installed next. Been busy with the shop add-on.