Maura Gets A Facelift. 1990 4X4

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That 8.8 swap looks like its going great, you make it look easy! I'm going to assume you havent got around to spraying the Upol? lol

I haven't sprayed the u-pol yet, no.

I'm dreading the prep work due to a torn rotator in my right shoulder. I'm probably going to purchase a cup wire wheel brush, and one of those large grinders to spin it. I'm thinking my 4" grinder won't cut it.

Besides, I purchased an 88 Samurai, and have been showing him some love. I'm looking forward to 30 + mpg.

I did order all the parts I need to finish up the 8.8 install. Spydertrax 1.25" wheel spacers, e-brake cable, and the yoke adapter. Soon as they arrive, I can finish up and only need to shorten the drive shaft by 1".

Oh dang sorry to hear that. Been ther, done that. :ack: I fully torn my right and done that "partical tare" on my left. Well hopefully rahab goes well for you! I think I'm going to try and spray my new to me bed beginning of next month. I was hopin' you could have commented on it. Lol I don't think my air compressor is big enough to spray it

Just a thought for you man... I called a local metal stripping joint here in the Denver area the other day.(used to be dip N strip) I used them years ago doing strip to bare metal chemical dipping (works great but would not recommend doing this with any part with a factory welded pinch seam)they also offer and I have had them do, sand, nut shell media, or even baking soda blast. I was curious how much they would charge to blast out the bed of the other bed I am working on. It has a combination of factory paint, rattle can paint, primer and a bit of old (rolled on?) bed liner material. They said they could mask it off so as to not mar or ruin the body work., and that it would run right about $ 120.00 (one and a half hours approx., straight labor). I imagine that there is a similar facility near you. I agree that it beats the crap out of 8 or so hours of sanding with a bum shoulder. you might want to check around.....

And your truck is looking muy sexy btw......

I imagine that there is a similar facility near you. 

AHAHAHAHAHA!  You my friend have never been to SW Texas have you? AHAHAHAHAH!  

Thanks! Wait til I put up a picture of my new vinyl decals.... They are the cats meow....

Just looked at a map...man you are out in the sticks huh?......I forget how big Texas really is.  Guess I was not thinking about location....Closest I've been (for any length of time anyway) to you is probably Austin. I lived there before my folks split up in '65 and again after high scool in 76'  I also bummed around College Station /Bryan a bit. My Dad went on to teach English at A&M after the split up. He was a profesor there till he passed about 12 years ago. I guess I get pretty spoiled living in a city the size of Denver when i think about it........

I imagine that there is a similar facility near you. 

AHAHAHAHAHA!  You my friend have never been to SW Texas have you? AHAHAHAHAH!  

Thanks! Wait til I put up a picture of my new vinyl decals.... They are the cats meow....

dang nm, i got 4.5

Just get a pair of axle tube shock mount brackets and weld them to the tubes pointing down at a 45° angle Like I did. Then you can keep your oem shocks. Gives you more ground clearance.

You could trim just below the oem bolt holes, and it would be pretty darned close. I cut right at the first bend just to the outside of the holes. If that doesn't make sense, let me know, and I'll photoshop a red line into a picture.

Here is a shot with the paper template for the rear flare. I ended up cutting a bit more off that pictured.

And here is approximately where I cut:

• 2 weeks later...

So far I really like my Tatton's shaft... Curtis is a good guy to work with.

Yeah, I'll have to agree. This is my third one I've purchased, and never had any issues. They build them using the same parts as other leading brands, but much cheaper.

Well, the shaft is installed, the spydertrax wheel spacers are installed, and all the other little details of my 8.8 axle swap is completed. Took Maura out for a test drive today, and I can tell the difference for sure running 3.55 ratio as opposed to the 3.08. lots of giddem up and go. My only outstanding issue now with the swap, is that I will need to upgrade the brake booster and master cylinder to accommodate the rear disc brakes now.  The pedal doesn't get firm until almost to the floor. Just not pushing enough fluid. I figured that would be the case, but wanted to see first before purchasing parts.

Next up, swap the front gear set to 3.55 and match the rear.

Jim is sending me a 95/96 XJ MC/Booster from his stash. Thank you Jim!

I'm going to install it, then do some test driving with the rear load sensing valve in, and go from there.

Jay dipped into his stash, and sold me a pristine rollbar for maura. I'm so  :banana:  and can't wait to get it mounted up. Question: is it better to bedline between the mounting surface, or mount the bar and tape it off?  I'll be spraying U-Pol.

I sprayed them both with U-Pol (separately) I still have the original Vinyl(?) gasket sheet that goes under the mounting flanges for the roll bar.

And wanted the clean install that shooting them separately would give. (especially if it is removed later). If I was going to say paint the roll bar and U-pol the bed.... I would still shoot the bed liner first before putting the bar in. just My 2 cents worth.

I just put the roll bar back in last night and will bolt her up tonight...will post some pics by tmorrow.

The goofy little gun they send you with the u-pol gets the job done I guess but certainly no more than that. don't bank on any real accuracy.

Glad you are mounting the bar after the liner goes on, trying to get a good coat back behind the bar mounted would be a b!tch.

Mask everything you are concerned with. WEAR A GOOD RESPERATOR this $#!& is nasty....