Maura Gets A Facelift. 1990 4X4

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Today I mounted the 31's onto the factory turbine rims and had them balanced.
Then I brought Maura into the shop and started with the fender flares install.
First I cut out some metal, and let me tell you that was a hard thing to bring myself to do.

Then I bolted on the Napier flares. I bought the textured ones with the edge guard and stainless steel hardware. Awesome product.

Then I started on the front bumper so I could install the front flares.

Before:

After:

Side shot:

I'll install the front flares tomorrow. I'm wore out... :cheers:

She looks good!  Where did you get the bumpers? I assume you are going for new '31s after replacing the ball joints? 

Cutting away sheet metal you just repaired is always painful...like denting a fender or door you just replaced. 

Got the bumpers from a fellow CC member. He shipped them to me, and they bolted in place perfectly. Yeah, cutting the fenders was painful, but only way to get the look I'm after and the clearance I need. The way I see it, it is something the factory should have done to begin with.

The ball joints tested ok, my death wobble was induced by the tires being out of balance, and those heavy steel rims. With the aluminum rims, and a good balancing, it appears fixed. I haven't really tested it too much yet, but so far so good.

Looks awesome love the flares...can't wait to see the bedliner on the rokers etc. how high up on the body are you going?

and are you going to coat the flares too? That is my game plan on Bucky....

Had a chat with bushwacker last week about flat top rears for our trucks......

Jury is still out on that one. (but they have e-mailed me twice and asked for a second batch of photos showing the fittment issues)

Fingers crossed....

Your truck looks spectacular...I am very jealous.

Looks awesome love the flares...can't wait to see the bedliner on the rokers etc. how high up on the body are you going?

and are you going to coat the flares too? That is my game plan on Bucky....

Jury is still out on that one. (but they have e-mailed me twice and asked for a second batch of photos showing the fittment issues)

Fingers crossed....

Your truck looks spectacular...I am very jealous.

At first, I was going to bedline  the sides up to the last contour line. Then I backed down one notch thinking there would be too much black. Now, with the flares installed, I'm thinking I will just to the very first contour, leaving the wide flat area white. It is far easier to add more bedliner than to remove it.

I have no plans to coat the flares. I paid extra for the textured ones, and they look fine to me.

I definitely like the flat flare look. Don't see many of them.

Thanks for your comments!

I'm going with U-Pol Rapter sprayed on. Pre tinted black. I wish I could afford the Linex product. I just can't justify the cost when I can do-it-myself for around $150.

I'm really tring to push the build so I can make the MOAB trip in Sept.  That's the only reason the noisy rear D35 bothers me so much. If I install the 8.8 I already have, then I will have to regear the front. More $$$$, so I may have to decide to let the bedliner go till after.

I spent too much on my shop add on last month, so trying to save back up. Unless I buy some used D30 gears in a 3.54 ratio!!!!

I used the u-pol raptor.....also in Black.  good sh*t  looks great. Good thing they give you a "gun" to use.

I would not want to shoot anything that gloppy through a good gun.

I also shot the bumpers, sliders, roll bar, bed rail caps etc. etc

Time will tell how well it holds up, and if I made a good choice.

Wish I had a shop let alone an add on...can't fault you on that expenditure.

I remember reading your build when you sprayed everything. IIRC you purchased 4 bottles? I'm going to attempt it with 2 bottles. Mistake? Just the bed, bed rails, lower rocker panels.

Fingers crossed....

I selfishly hope they don't produce Comanche specific rear flares.  I think they look better and I've already cut mine for the pocket style flares.

Just won an E-bay bid for some front 3.55 gears. Looks like my next task will be to swap in my 8.8 disc brake axle, and set up the front to match.

Looks like I have enough cash left to go ahead and order the U-pol raptor, so that will happen real soon also.

I will need to order some spyder-trax wheel spacers for the rear also. IIRC the 8.8 is around 5/8" to 1" narrower. I need to fill those wide flares anyways...

I've got a brand new set of 5 BFG Mud terrains (12.5 x 33) mounted on a set on Moab rims. Once the 8.8 is installed, I'll be more comfortable running them in Sept. for the Moab trip.

Anyone have a roll bar for sale? I have a bender and some tube, but only have 1 3/4" dies. I think that would look too funny. 2" DOM minimum.

Aren't 33s going to be a little much for 3.55 gears?  I had 3.55 gears in mine with 31s and would have liked 4.10s.  I upgraded to 4.56s when I added 33s.

Yes, they will. I will only put them on for slow speed offroading.  Not ideal, but I believe I can make them work just for the MOAB trip.

My thoughts are that I would rather have the clearance than the gearing on that trip. What do you think? Better to leave the 31's on?

i got a roll bar for a full size truck, if you want to cut and bend you could. make one unique for you lol

Not sure what you're saying.... You have a rollbar that you want to sell, or you just saying I should look around for one and modify it like you did?

Aren't 33s going to be a little much for 3.55 gears?  I had 3.55 gears in mine with 31s and would have liked 4.10s.  I upgraded to 4.56s when I added 33s.

Yes, they will. I will only put them on for slow speed offroading.  Not ideal, but I believe I can make them work just for the MOAB trip.

My thoughts are that I would rather have the clearance than the gearing on that trip. What do you think? Better to leave the 31's on?

No, I'd leave as much clearance as possible as well.  Are you gearing your front to match the back?  I was just thinking if you were going to regear, to only do it once with what you're going to need.  I wheeled quite often in my TJ on 33s with 3.73 gears.  It wasn't ideal, but it certainly got the job done.

A roll bar from a Ford Ranger will fit ours (without modification IIRC) That's what's on mine, an '88 SWB, just an idea since there may be more of those laying around than ones specifically for the MJ's :thumbsup:

Great build by the way, looks great!

No, I'd leave as much clearance as possible as well.  Are you gearing your front to match the back?  I was just thinking if you were going to regear, to only do it once with what you're going to need.  I wheeled quite often in my TJ on 33s with 3.73 gears.  It wasn't ideal, but it certainly got the job done.

The 8.8 already has the 3.55 ratio, so to keep it simple and cheap, thought I'd just regear the front to match. I found a nice set of D30 matching gears for $45, so no big deal If I decide later to install some new 4.10's. I'm probably going to have to consider some sort of a locker anyways, otherwise Moab will be just a scenic drive I'm afraid..