Maura Gets A Facelift. 1990 4X4

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was checking prices on some front coils to even out the front, and I found some Rubicon Express 4.5" lift springs for $76 with free shipping. I jumped on that deal, and just now realized i'm headed down the path...

Shocks and brake lines are already ordered.

sway bar links, adjustable lowers, trac-bar , anything else?????

Should I give in now and order the long arm upgrade? :doh:

Pulled the transmission and transfer case today. Have to find the leak. Pretty sure it is the input shaft seal that goes inside the bearing retainer.

I did the job by myself, so anybody that has done this knows what I just went through. What a pain in the AZZ! I didn't think I was ever going to get those two top bolts off. Thankfully the PO replaced them with hex head bolts, or I would have probably just cut a hole in the firewall to get to them.

I still have all my fingers and toes, but dang near knocked out a front tooth. I was bulling up on the gear shift lever after I rotated the retainer, and the lever jumped out and caught me in the tooth. it's not loose, but sore as heck. Guess I must have been straining and gritting my teeth cause it didn't get my lips or I'm sure they would be puffy and bleading.

How embarrassing that would have a bloody and fat lip from a girl!

So here is the tranny after I removed it.

And here it is after a steam bath:

Makes me want to paint it!

What a pain in the AZZ! I didn't think I was ever going to get those two top bolts off. Thankfully the PO replaced them with hex head bolts, or I would have probably just cut a hole in the firewall to get to them.

Those torx bolts are a joy to remove. You missed out....

You sending the tranny out for a full rebuild? I see the bellhousing is already off.

I rotated the retainer, and the lever jumped out and caught me in the tooth. it's not loose, but sore as heck

Hope the tooth is ok this morning. That didn't sound like it was pleasant at all. I always cheat, drop the trans a bit and reach up to pull the 4 bolts holding the whole assembly in.

You sending the tranny out for a full rebuild? I see the bellhousing is already off.

Hope the tooth is ok this morning.

I'm just going to put the seal in and drive it. The front bearing is still surprisingly like new. It shifts nicely, and doesn't jump out of gear, so I see no reason to tear into it.

The tooth is still a little sore, but not loose. That was a close one...

Installed the new seal in the transmission and had the tranny reinstalled in time for the Daytona 500. I only need to add fluid and reinstall the console, and then hopefully I can put that leak to rest.

After the race, I went back out and started on installing my Rubicon Express 4.4" lift front springs. I finished the driver side, but called it a day.Will finish up soon. I had a pair of Rough Country shock from my TJ that I used until something better comes along. They are almost brand new, but I'd rather have Bilsteins.

For now, I'm using the old control arms, but have a brand new adjustable Rubicon Express trac bar that I picked up cheap. Once I get the front end finished, I will tackle the body work. I'm expecting to have Maura painted in about a Month.

Today, I finished the lift install. I still need to address the sway bar, the longer brake lines and bump stops. I have the brake lines, just need to perform a quick mod, and they will be ready to install.

I will eventually purchase new control arms, but for now I want to get Maura driveable again.

Before:

After:

The track-bar is installed also, just forgot to snap a picture of it.

I liked the Eastwood Internal stuff as well. Where'd you get your steam cleaner?

The steam cleaner is more of a very hot water pressure washer. It has the ability to inject chemicals, and works amazingly well. I picked it up at an estate sale a few years back. I installed a new pump on it, and it works like a charm. Kerosene heats the water, and the pump sprays at 2100 psi.

I have a total of about $400 in it. They retail for a few thousand. I'm happy!

I have the brake lines, just need to perform a quick mod, and they will be ready to install.

What are you going to use? Braided stainless brake hoses?

Installed the new seal in the transmission and had the tranny reinstalled in time for the Daytona 500. I only need to add fluid and reinstall the console, and then hopefully I can put that leak to rest.

:crossfingers: :popcorn:

No braided. I just picked up a set of longer hoses from Rockauto.The YJ ones.

It turns out theyt are not a direct bolt on though. I have to grind a bit off at the banjo.

I filled her up with fluid and reinstalled the console. Started on the bed body work. All the dents are pulled and filled. It's much easier with the bed off and upside down.

Ford F350 rear SB links - Approx 10" length bolt on - JIC U haven't seen these - Covered on NAXJA & here I think -

From Comanche County - Posted 09 January 2012 - 08:59 AM

I've used shocks from a 95' F350, I believe they were rear shocks. Also, the rear sway bar links from the F350 are about two inches longer and have the right bends to work on the front of lifted XJ/MJ.

eBay listing for ref

http://www.ebay.com/...984.m1438.l2649

:wrench:

Much appreciated link. :bowdown:

I did not know those fit, and was thinking of a cut and lengthen, but the links are probably heat treated and I wouldn't want to weld them. I was looking around and stock links are dirt cheap, but add lift and they tripple.

Edit: I ordered them. Thanks again.

Finaly some decent weather. I decided to get ready for paint.

I'm only going to paint between the bed and the cab tomorrow, so I can get the truck back together and driveable.

Below is after I sanded, cleaned and primed any bare metal. I found some self etching primer that matched the wite pretty darned close.

I didn't intend to do that, just a coincidence. Tomorrow, I will seal with a urethane primer, then in the recoat window, I will paint the white. This will insure a good chemical as well as a physical bond between the paint and primer.

Masked off and prepped. I'm going to spray the roof also. This will make it easy when it comes time to spray the truck. Not having to worry about overspray on the roof since I don't have a proper paint booth. When it comes time to shoot the rest of the truck, I may take it to a friends shop and let him shoot it in his professional booth. It depends how the roof turns out. If it comes out good, I may shoot the rest of the truck myself.

Urethane primer ready for wet sanding. No evidence of rust any more. After I spray the bed, and the paint is dry, I plan to undercoat it while it is upside down.

3 cans of undercoating did the job

I sprayed the white today on the roof and the back of the cab. The front of the bed was also sprayed. I'm now ready to reassemble the bed.

3 coats of clear

Yippe!

Wow! That paint job is clean! Wish mine was at that step already! That's actually my last step including doing the a/c. I had gotten quoted for paint 750 but just cheap paint but it'll do. great job on a lot of progress of your Manche!!!!

Thanks 88,

I'm having a blast with it so far. I was kind of anxious to get the truck back to running, so I pushed myself today, and got the bed installed, the tank in, and started her up. Pulled Maura outside for a poser shot.

Looking good, especially like how the roof turned out!   I'm glad you decided to stick with white too :thumbsup:.  Are you planning to put the towing mirrors back on her?

Haven't decided yet. I should hold them up and see what they look like I guess.

Installed the longer sway bar links, rear brake hose, and axle vent hose. I think I will reinstall the tail lights and start driving again. Then I can continue on with the rest of the body work at a more sensible pace.

I was going to include some pictures, except wifey ran over my camera with the Rubicon. New camera on the way.

Just got my

1 PUTCO TAILGATE PROTECTOR SS FOR JEEP COMANCHE COMMANCHE 1987 88 89 90 91 - 94

in the mail today. Seller on ebay was clearing out some old stock, and the price was good. It is a solid piece of polished stainless steel, and best part is it actually fits perfectly.

wish I could take some pictures. :rant: 

Did your new camera arrive??

Yes it did! Also got a new I-phone that takes decent pictures, but I prefer the camera because it doesn't make so many dark shadows.

I started in on the rocker panel rust. Finished the driver side, and removed the front flares for paint prep. I'm going to order new flares, but still trying to not destroy the old ones while removing. Takes a lot of patience to get the nuts off without twisting off the studs. Something like 2 hours per flare.