Rear Springs

Complete newbie here just got an 89 Pioneer Comanche. I'm noticing all the MJ specific lift kits seem to have add a leaf instead of new springs. Am I better off buying a kit for an XJ so that I get the new springs?

From what I have read the XJ and MJ suspension (i.e. springs and such) kits are the same, is this true? I am looking at the Rough Country Kits but have not selected at all as of yet. My WJ has OME kit with JKS adjustable track bar and control arms, but the kit for the XJ is just too small. I want about 4" lift preferably to fit 32 or 33s.

Thank you in advance for any help

Jim

You would not receive a lift by using xj springs. MJ springs are alot longer and have a significant arch vs xj springs. There are a few places out there that sell mj lift springs. Hell creek is great, i think rusty's it trying.

the front springs are the same, but the rears are way different. A cheaper method would be to make a bastard pack of leafs look through the diy forum there's junkyard tips and spring pack references on there.

Cherokee rear springs are nowhere close to Comanche ones. First off, they are a lot shorter meaning they would not fit, or even come close to fitting. Also they are nearly flat where stock Comanche springs have quite an arch to them, which has a lot to do with the Cherokee spring mounting on top of the axle and the Comanche spring mounting under the axle.

In fact, My (daughter's) Cherokee has about 4" of lift achieved in the rear by using the Cherokee main spring, then two leafs from a Comanche pack, and finally the Cherokee bottom leaf. In reverse, bastard packing a spring replacing arched Comanche leafs with much flatter Cherokee ones would lower your truck.

An add-a-leaf on a Cherokee achieves lift in three ways:

1 - the thickness of the leaf add to lift, the same way that a lift block would do so.

2 - the extra leaf increases the spring rate, in essence making the spring pack stiffer causing it to drop less under the weight of the vehicle.

3 - they are usually arched more than the stock leafs, forcing the entire pack into more of an arch giving lift

Using a Cherokee add-a-leaf on a Comanche, number 2 still applies. Number 1 does not and number 3 may or may not depending on the free arch of the add-a-leaf compared to the free arch of stock Comanche leafs. Therefore a 3" Cherokee add-a-leaf will not lift a Comanche anywhere near 3". Luckily, though the stock stance of a Comanche has a bit of rake to it, so the rear does not necessarily need to be lifted the same amount as the front.

Hell Creek closed their leaf spring factory a couple of weeks ago. This leaves Rusty's, bastard packing, various add-a-leafs, having a spring shop re-arch your current springs, or going spring over axle.

A lot of people convert the rear to spring over axle, coupled with 6.5" of front lift to run 33" tires with a nice stance and pretty good capabilities off road. One thing to keep in mind is that while a SOA conversion in the rear is simple and relatively inexpensive, correctly lifting the front of a Comanche (or Cherokee as the front suspension is identical) is neither. To do it properly will take a lot of parts and cost well in excess if $1000.

A less expensive option is a "budget boost". 1.75" urethane pucks on top of your front coils, Chevy 2" drop shackles on the rear (they will lift a Cherokee about 2", or a Comanche a little under 1"), and a set of 31" tires. 31" tires can actually be used at stock ride height, while with 32" and larger tires fitment becomes a problem and lifting is needed. IMO, though, 31" tires look better with a budget boost than they do at completely stock ride height.

Thanks everyone, I spent a great deal of time looking over the recommended kits and that seems to be the best way to go. I'm not sure what manfacturer I'm going to use yet, or just get the front and rear springs and then buy JKS trackbar and control arms. Reason being none of the kits seem to come with decent shocks. I like Old man Emu shocks better than rough country or skyjacker.

Thanks everyone, I spent a great deal of time looking over the recommended kits and that seems to be the best way to go. I'm not sure what manfacturer I'm going to use yet, or just get the front and rear springs and then buy JKS trackbar and control arms. Reason being none of the kits seem to come with decent shocks. I like Old man Emu shocks better than rough country or skyjacker.

Call oldman emu directly they may have leaf sets. alot of times they have stuff that doesnt always get listed. they have a location out of washington.

http://www.arbusa.com/Contact.aspx

Yes sir it does not but it is a spring company that makes a great proct and if your wanting to get some quailty packs then I put them

up for a choice. Working on getting a set myself but I have front and rear leafs so all my packs will be set up different even left to right side vs universal ones which are stiffer as made to fit everything. Pros and cons with every part man just depends on what and how much you want into your ride. Why I respect mexicans with low riders, pure love for their ride.

• 2 months later...

A less expensive option is a "budget boost". 1.75" urethane pucks on top of your front coils, Chevy 2" drop shackles on the rear (they will lift a Cherokee about 2", or a Comanche a little under 1"), and a set of 31" tires.

Sooo... Y mean drop shackles, as to lower a Chevy truck, will actually lift an MJ? Like... http://www.summitracing.com/parts/bel-6403

Sooo... Y mean drop shackles, as to lower a Chevy truck, will actually lift an MJ? Like... http://www.summitracing.com/parts/bel-6403

chevys run their shackles inverted, so a longer shackle for them actually drops the truck.  The important thing is that their drop shackles are a bit longer than our shackles (and have the right width and bolt size) and so will lift our trucks. :thumbsup: