Could Use Your Guys Advice

So I could really use everyones advice here on my '92 Comanche ('91 build year). This Jeep is beat and rotted to hell and I'm debating if it is worth it to repair it.

So the bad in the Jeep...The passenger side inner frame rail is rotted (as in gone) between the rear transmission cross member mount and above the rear axle, rotted all around the passenger side leaf spring mount (so bad the mount ripped off), and on the passenger side outer from right behind where the cab is connected to between the front leaf spring mount and the rear axle, the drivers side has a section rotted out about an inch by three inches right behind the transmission cross member mount, the floors are shot, and it's rotted pretty bad around the rear flares. The front frame rails are slightly tweaked at the front from a front end accident from the previous owner (can be banged back to straight with a little time). Mechanical wise the transmission and transfer case need to be placed back in (they got donated to the '86), the engine needs a few sensors to run correctly (not sure which ones yet), the rear axle was just starting to whine (dana 35) before parking her about 2 years ago, and will need a new gas tank as this one is leaking.

It comes down to is it really worth saving or would it be more worthwhile to strip the Jeep and scrap the frame? If I do end up stripping the Jeep, I'll probably be picking up another Comanche in the next month or two and keeping all these parts as spares if I do decide to strip her. Any input either way is appreciated. More looking in the lines of would you keep and fix up the Jeep or use her as a donor.

Sounds like you've got more rust than truck! I'd strip all the good parts and scrap the unibody. You didn't mention condition of the doors, dash, ECU, flares, interior, header panel, bumpers, etc., but all those parts could be re-used or sold to other members that may need them. Go the donor route if you're sure you can lay hands on another MJ that's in better shape.

A buddy of mine is getting a gas tank that he says I could have so that's off the list there. This is a '92 (Aug '91 build date) which they've only made a few thousand of (91XX made in the '91 year) which is the dilema I'm having. That and it was my first Comanche. :) I plan on boat siding the '86 so the rockers and cab corners can get swapped to the '92 eventually, I'm just scared of the amount of rust chunks I've pulled out of the passenger side frame.

Just about all the bolt on parts are in good condition. The PO swapped it to bucket seats and a full console but they are mismatched colors.

I appreciate the inputs. I might still rip it all apart and see what I can do, I get way too much joy (and spend way too much time) making the impossible come true.

Its only metal, cut and weld and you can put it back together. They arent making comanches anymore so scrapping you will regret down the road.

Even if it donates the good stuff to a pristine one and is kept and used as a truggy, it will still be alive and saved.

Its only metal, cut and weld and you can put it back together. They arent making comanches anymore so scrapping you will regret down the road.

Even if it donates the good stuff to a pristine one and is kept and used as a truggy, it will still be alive and saved.

+1

Its funny how many times I hear about MJs getting scrapped on here because they're too rusted. They're only 20 years old or so, that's nothing. Check out some of the saves on the old Willys forums, there are guys who'd give their first born to find a WWII jeep even it has 10 times the rust described above. Think long term, in 30 years when our Jeeps are 50 years old, we'll really be scrounging for parts then.

I personally can't wait for the year 2051, my CJ3A will be 100 years old then, I'll be 77 putting around in it. But I don't think I'll make it to 2089 when the MJ will turn 100, I'll be 115 yrs old then, but my doctor says as long as I keep doing this :group beer: I just might make it.

The issue with this one isn't that it's too rusted, a large sized section of the frame is missing on the passenger side as well as the inside of the frame is pretty well gone on a lot of what's left on that side. I'm going to be removing the bed in the next few days to really see how bad everything is beyond the already bad. I do have the skill to redo the frame and will if it isn't that much worse than what I listed. The free gas tank kinda pushed my hand to really rip it apart and fix it though. :D

If I do end up rebuilding this Jeep, it will be from the ground up and fast (as in a few weeks at most). Every ounce of rust I can get to on the frame will be fixed, the front will get straightened and she will get ready for a paint job (going to get my body shop buddy to do the paint job since he owes me for building up his Cherokee). I really want to save this Jeep but at a certain point you have to ask yourself if it's really worth the time and hassle.

I really want to save this Jeep but at a certain point you have to ask yourself if it's really worth the time and hassle.

That's exactly the question, and only you can answer it for you.

My view is that they aren't making them any more. I once knew a guy who had owned a 1928 Stutz. He lost it in a divorce, but when he had restored it he made detailed drawings. So he was building a new one -- from scratch. Right down to making his own bolts (because they use a unique, acorn-shaped head).

If you have the skills and the equipment, I think you should save it. But ... that's easy for me to say, because you're the guy who would be doing the work.

In my slightly overzealous opinion, as long as there is something holding it together it's worth saving. There are enough Comanches in junkyards already, and I don't think they need any more. If you save it, you'll have a vehicle that is almost completely yours and a good story. Make sure to take pictures! :MJ 2:

Good practice if not anything else. Start tearing into it... what's the worse that can happen? If it's already rusted to the point of not being structurally sound, you can replace the steel. If you start replacing and it doesn't turn out like it should then at least you tired. Just be sure that the welds you put into it are sound and safe for use on the road. I'd say use it as a learning tool.

Thanks everyone, that's pretty much what I neded to hear. It's going to be a ton of work to save this truck and needed some possitive reinforcement to get the nerve up to start ripping into her. I can start a build thread for her if anyone is interested (or would it be a rebuild thread?), it'll be a fast paced build that won't take too long as I'll be spending all of my free time wrenching and welding on her to get her done. I'll be starting either tomorrow afternoon or Thursday, depending on the weather and how fast I can make the structure the Jeep is sitting under leak less.

I have no fears of my welds being structurally sound. I welded the cross member, all 3 links, panhard bar and all the brackets/truss on my '86 and drive that on the road when the engine isn't acting up. Never once had an issue with a weld and I'm a much better welder now than I was when I built most of that stuff.