Laserdisc!

Automan2164

Well... Swap meet time again. Madison Classics has their "Fall Jefferson" meet, and it's usually good for some oddball MJ parts. I've picked up a clean gate, tails, and some odds and ends before. It's more for the mainstream, but the weird stuff trickles in every once and awhile. I walked around for about 5 hours, but came up with nothing but a late style MJ badge for $1. Just on the outside of the swap meet, there is an AMC guru, who rents out his land for a campground, and has oodles of cool stuff. Ever since we found out about him in the spring, we've made it a point to go to his house. In the spring, we found his AMC Laserdisc collection:

467804_369388899765270_1951958058_o.jpg

Complete with this:

411047_369389159765244_947880467_o.jpg

When we saw this, we asked about watching it, but he had said that it wasn't working, but would have it going for his summer car show. He hosts a cool AMC show that's more like a family picnic with free food and beer... Really awesome. I made plans to bring the diesel, and set up for the day. We got all settled in and started wandering around. We found him, but was so consumed with hosting and helping, didn't have a chance to fire up the video for us.

Today, with my head hung low from a dry day at the swap meet, we went there in hopes of possibly catching him and having him fire up the laserdisc player. We found him outside, asked, and he fired it up for us. We got to watch the 1986 MJ video... :drool: So full of 1980's music, powershots, comparisons, offroading, and MJ goodness. I asked if he might sell the disc, and surprisingly, he said to look, and if he had any doubles, that he would sell them. After finding a 2.1L Turbodiesel service training video, I got excited. Then we found the double. I asked what he wanted, doubled his price, and then he pointed to a stack of unopened dealer materials and told me to have at it. All that was missing was the Christmas tree and my pajamas. I got down on the floor with the stack, in the shadow of a Javelin, and started cutting boxes open. I didn't find any doubles of the 1986 MJ video, but this is what I ended up with.:

243010_435028466534646_390774000_o.jpg

615097_435028539867972_246042145_o.jpg

258256_435028619867964_1754941531_o.jpg

271202_435032703200889_1516849617_o.jpg

430128_435032753200884_1944136085_n.jpg

10291_435032846534208_1064534507_n.jpg

326298_435032916534201_1743536420_o.jpg

220776_435033003200859_1077229358_o.jpg

272050_435033083200851_919065247_o.jpg

133295_435033149867511_321588877_o.jpg

335559_435033219867504_458055113_o.jpg

Soooo.... Now I just need to find myself a laserdisc player so I can play with all my new purchases. And yes, once I get the setup, I will be making some video uploads to youtube. :yes:

Rob

My friend has a player for sale but I think its the type you insert the plastic cover and disk in all at once and it shoots the cover back out once its loaded. I will have to check.

Thanks, but I am going to try to find one local. Already found someone with one for sale 10 miles from me on eBay. Already sent the message asking if they would end it early and I save them the shipping.

:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

love it! I can totally see his eyebrow perk up as he tries to figure out why you're so bad at negotiating. :rotfl2:

He is generally such a super nice guy when it comes to his collection and sharing it. I almost feel as if I am donating to a charity for AMC. With the super car show he puts on, the "open door" with all his collectables and such, when he told me his price, I knew he was being nice. When I doubled it, he did perk up, and said "That works too!"... I almost think it really got the ball rolling on the huge stack of unexplored dealer stuff, so I am glad I did. His wife said they would be going through everything to organize, and would set aside any MJ stuff for me. Bonus :D

Rob

Plenty more to come once I get my hands on a laserdisc player. Anyone know of an easy way to transfer on digital? Like a component cable to usb kind of deal? I am going to search, but don't know if anyone has a suggestion. I definitely don't want to do the "Camera taping a tv" deal the whole time.

Rob

Purdy Eliminator!!!!!!

Rob, have you considered using a dazzle?

http://www.amazon.co...aw_bottom_links

I found this:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sima-SFG1-Sima-GO-Digital-Analog-to-Digital-Converter/17616966

Little cheaper, and the video editor it comes with lets you overlay text. I plan on putting comancheclub.com on the top/bottom or something to associate the videos with us.

Rob

Have a laserdisc player lined up. The guy on eBay had it started for $20, said he would end it for $40. Seeing as the good Pioneer units like this one seem to go for $60, I told him I would bring a disc along and if it works he's got a deal.

So pumped!

Rob

I am now the proud owner of a Pioneer LaserDisc player. :yes:

199618_435442653159894_289708880_n.jpg

46300_435442713159888_1450334462_n.jpg

And since I had a message about playing the Laserdisc in a DVD player... I don't think many realize what a Laserdisc is. For those my age or younger, they are huge. HUGE. Pretty much like a record. The big ones. Like so:

149657_435442773159882_1803138274_n.jpg

So excited to start watching some videos.

Rob :MJ1:

If it doesn't work Rob, I also have a Pioneer LD player you can have for shipping cost. Looks like the same model as in your pics.

Thanks Don! I made sure this one worked before I bought it. They guy had it all hooked up and ready to go when I got there. I've already skipped through the 2.1L turbo diesel LD... Just wish I had the fancy AMC remote/player that would allow me to follow the questions/diagnosis chapters.

Rob

I picked up a lot of this old technology audio/video stuff in various military PX's here and there when it was on sale for almost free. A lot of it is still unopened in the original boxes. I can't bring myself to throw it out, even though the wife want's me to chuck it all. But sooner or later, someone always needs stuff like this stuff to read the old media formats. Packrat I guess........

Laserdisc! Love Laserdisc. I have about 100 disks in my collection including the very rare Disney's "Song of the South". It is perceived by some to have inapropriate content so they will never re-release it.

Not to insult your intellegence but hookup can be a little tricky depending on the disk you are playing. You need to select that audio output during playback. AC3 which is now known as dolby digital and optical outputs. They are probably running the audio through rca jacks but just in case. IIRC, I have some disks that are mono but still use a digital signa???. That little tidbit can be a little confusing.

Laserdisc! Love Laserdisc. I have about 100 disks in my collection including the very rare Disney's "Song of the South". It is perceived by some to have inapropriate content so they will never re-release it.

Song of the South!?!? Can you burn it to DVD? I'd love a copy.

Placed the order for the converter today. Should be all over some '80's goodness next week. Also picked up 9 more Laserdiscs. I plan to convert them all.

Keep an eye out there for me! If you send them, I'll convert them!

Rob

I picked up a lot of this old technology audio/video stuff in various military PX's here and there when it was on sale for almost free. A lot of it is still unopened in the original boxes. I can't bring myself to throw it out, even though the wife want's me to chuck it all. But sooner or later, someone always needs stuff like this stuff to read the old media formats. Packrat I guess........

I keep a complete stack of format conversion equipment in the closet. I can convert just about any region VHS, Betamax, and DVD format to digital. The only thing I do not have is a Laserdisc player since I have never come across a Laserdisc I needed to convert.

I calculated that it would take about one month of nonstop playback to convert all my VHS tapes to digital.