Here we go again

Akula69

Not Katrina (thank God) but another pain in the azz storm named Isaac that will probably flood us worse (due to slow movement). Should pass about 10-15 miles west of us here in Covington, skirting the western edge of Lake Ponchtrain. Wind is picking up (at 0230) and we should get a surge out of the lake at about 9 - 15 feet.

The old 87 got 50 sandbags and 50 gallons of gas for generators before resting today. She did good.

Have to report for work - its a waiting game now.

So if you live where there are hurricanes, and have always been hurricanes, is it really shocking or news when a hurricane comes?

Naw. Thats why the title is what it is. I was just bored before going to work.

Now I'm bored at work. Only three days to go!

Heard on the news that the town I work in (Tyler) is already opening up shelters and such for evacuees. Seems like they're kind of jumping the gun on this one. Issac isn't nearly the threat that Katrina was. Also heard that the edge of the rain was most likely going to run right up the Texas/Louisiana border. Oh well, no rain for me, but I'd gladly welcome some lower temperatures if you can send it this way.

( I expected a comeback about at least having days worth a warning for a hurricane where an idiot like me lives where a tornado can drop on my head with no warning over half of the year... :D )

You fellows can keep your huricanes and tornados! I will take an earthquake any day! Or even a swarm of earthquakes.

( I expected a comeback about at least having days worth a warning for a hurricane where an idiot like me lives where a tornado can drop on my head with no warning over half of the year... :D )

What do you mean? 2-15 minutes is plenty of time to prepare for a tornado.

This summer has been real slow. Only got to see one tornado so far, not the typical 3-6.

So far - a non-starter.

Very little rain and some wind. Kinda wish something would happen just to help with the boredom (but don't want anyone hurt).

Well, maybe that guy on the continuously broadcasting weather channel. How many times can you say the same crap dude!

So far - a non-starter.

Very little rain and some wind. Kinda wish something would happen just to help with the boredom (but don't want anyone hurt).

Well, maybe that guy on the continuously broadcasting weather channel. How many times can you say the same crap dude!

Tape loop.

At least they will be prepared this time. The Katrina storm really pointed out how confident and naive we are when it comes to natural disasters. The only way the Louisiana could prepare for Katrina was to heed the evacuations, which they didn't. It must be difficult to move away for a while. My take, board up and secure your house so the looters don't steal the kitchen sink and take a road trip to the North out of harms way. I feel so bad for what happened in '05 but truth is they were warned.

This time around I think who's left living in those areas will sure up and move out, but who knows this is only a CAT1 storm.

• 2 weeks later...

Worst part now is all the folks who are trying to get exta money out of the government. Sure, some are really in need...but some of these scams are just ridiculous.

They had a woman today (interviewed on local TV) who said she was destitute...no job...lost everything in the storm...then finished up her comment by complaining (on the air mind you!) she had to take off work to "come down here and stand in line for assistance when they should just mail it to her house"

What a rocket scientist..... :doh: