Emergency Brake release handle

Junkyard SCORE! Found a release handle from a red comanche for $2 AND found grey cloth bucket seats. Guess where I'll be next Saturday. Would have pulled them today but have to be somewhere at 4. It's got a good tailgate that I may take just to keep. It's red but I can paint that. I'll take pics if anybody wants me to.

• 3 years later...

The cable broke on mine yesterday. here's how I fixed it.

This procedure replaces the cable with a piece of coat hanger wire about 7 inches long. Requires a hack saw, Drill bit slightly bigger than the coat hanger wire, needle noes pliers.

1. Remove the t-handle from the bracket

2. Remove any remaining cable from the t-bar and discard

3. Drill a hole through the square rod on the t-handle about 1/4 inch from the end.

4. Cut the plastic housing (looks like a space ship) about 1/4 inch from the L bracket (where the two screws go in) with a hack saw.

5. Remove the cable sleeve retaining the bulb end of cable sleeve, then widen the hole in the bulb end with the drill bit.  

6. Insert the square rod through the plastic bracket then fish about one inch of hanger wire through the hole and twist to secure it in place.

7. fish the wire through the old bulb end

8. install this new assembly into the truck taking care to fish the wire through the hole in the lever and seat the bulb end into it's metal bracket

9. Twist the wire to secure it onto the lever

10. Might require a little bending to ensure it moves smoothly

Working great in my truck. Took me less than an hour.

• 4 years later...

not sure if they are snatched before I get there or they broke long ago, but the pulls are usually missing at the junkyards. :(  I didn't see a single one in my stash when I was organizing. 

• 1 year later...