cant find replacement E brake

E brake assembly has had it, along with the bracket under the bed, actually, the whole setup needs replacing. I looked around and have found a few places that carry the cables or what appears to be the cables, but i have batted zero when it came to finding the assembly that bolts to the inside of the cab. I've heard these trucks are notorious for having POS e-brakes

let me know where i can find a new one, thanks

please don't say dealership, please don't say dealership, please don't say dealership

E brake assembly has had it, along with the bracket under the bed, actually, the whole setup needs replacing. I looked around and have found a few places that carry the cables or what appears to be the cables, but i have batted zero when it came to finding the assembly that bolts to the inside of the cab. I've heard these trucks are notorious for having POS e-brakes

let me know where i can find a new one, thanks

please don't say dealership, please don't say dealership, please don't say dealership

I will be getting rid of mine, but I have been batting zero as well trying to get the cable off to remove it! Seems like I need six hands to hold the clips, pop the cable off, and pull it out all at once.

The dealer doesnt have them either. But they do still have them for the YJ, which is made similarly and may be made to work. Or you could pull yours out and see if the locking latch spring is still in place. It could be that the spring just isnt there anymore and won't let it hold. If thats all it is, you install a new small spring, and that might just fix it. Though Ive heard of the teeth wearing off to, so if thats your problem, youll just need a new assy. Good luck.

I've heard these trucks are notorious for having POS e-brakes

Now that you mention it, I can never get mine to tighten just right. It's either too much or too little. And ever since I broke the cable at the pedal assembly, I'm afraid to tighten it more and risk popping the cap off the cable again if I ever need an emergency stop. And adjusting the shoes doesn't help much.

Did you try adjusting the under bed bracket? I think that is the one that is designed to be tightened. As for me i think that i will try and find another e brake assembly, possibly from a different jeep and try to rig something up. dunno, i've got plenty of time to figure something out.

• 2 weeks later...

I recently removed my assembly and found that the whole thing is as loose as a goose, the pedal wobbles as well as the retaining tooth.

Image Not Found

here's my thought, why don't i just drill this ^ puppy out, replace it with a bolt and tighten till it quits wiggling

Image Not Found

same with this, replace with bolt and tighten,

it seems the whole stupid assembly is held together by these "bass akward" pin things that can't be adjusted. :fs1:

Image Not Found

Also i had the brilliant :idea: idea to put a MUCH stronger spring in place of the one that holds the retaining tooth against the rotating plate deal.

These pictures are really making me mad. :hateputers: First they are to big, then i come back and they're too small. i've tried resizing them through photobucket till blue in the face, but it makes no difference. Is there someway i can talk to a moderator so i can figure this out once and all? I tried to follow the instructions on the "test 1 2" page, but it is for an out of date version of photo bucket. The version i am using is not the same. Newer? :dunno:

Could someone show me how to do it? It is extremely frustrating.

sorry for the rant soapbox.gif .

There was a recall on them for popping off after being set. Cracker, I'm interested in your fix.

Thats exactly what mine was doing when i had everything together. Push down and it would never hold. If you kept your foot there it would hold the truck on a 90* slope, but it would let go as soon i you let your foot off.

i will probably go ahead and do what i have planned, who knows maybe i will develop the very first DIY E-brake fix writeup. Which would also happen to be my first write up. That would be awesome. :drool:

thanks for the interest :thumbsup:

I honestly can't believe I pulled it off, but i've done it :jump: . Besides a few more adjustments, I have the assembly back together and it works beautifully. That being said i have yet to put it under "load" as in actually holding the truck in place so. . . (knocks on nearby wood)

To be honest, it would probably be cheaper just to get another assembly from the junkyard, but I just like to tear stuff apart to see if i can make it better, and boy is it ever. :yes:

I can give more detail and pictures if anyone is interested.

I honestly can't believe I pulled it off, but i've done it :jump: . Besides a few more adjustments, I have the assembly back together and it works beautifully. That being said i have yet to put it under "load" as in actually holding the truck in place so. . . (knocks on nearby wood)

To be honest, it would probably be cheaper just to get another assembly from the junkyard, but I just like to tear stuff apart to see if i can make it better, and boy is it ever. :yes:

I can give more detail and pictures if anyone is interested.

:thumbsup: Please do , I'm currently jamming a old steering wheel lock between the e-brake pedal and the seat bracket :headpop: or using a wheel chock with a retrieval line attached . :cheers:

:thumbsup: Please do , I'm currently jamming a old steering wheel lock between the e-brake pedal and the seat bracket :headpop: or using a wheel chock with a retrieval line attached . :cheers:

I used to use an 8in belt knife :rotfl2:

but anyway, about the fix. . .

I will let you know now this project was NOT easy. I will try to do my best to take pictures and explain clearly, it won't be easy.

also the way i did things might not be the best, so if you discover a better way i would love to hear about it. ;)

I used to use an 8in belt knife :rotfl2:

but anyway, about the fix. . .

I will let you know now this project was NOT easy. I will try to do my best to take pictures and explain clearly, it won't be easy.

also the way i did things might not be the best, so if you discover a better way i would love to hear about it. ;)

I'm looking forward to your write-up :yes: Thanks , Gord