AX 15 Internal External Slaves

Okay so this may have been answered prior, but i've gone through 6 pages of searches and not found what I'm looking for.

I see that some people are "upgrading" to an ax15 with external slave and paying 2-300 more for this style, but I have an AX15 with internal slave on the truck.

Can an AX15 be converted from internal to an external slave?

How difficult?

Parts/ Prices?

Bell Housing Modifications?

I did find one thread about an internal to external conversion, but it was for an ax-4 and ax-5, I assume it is not all too similar.

Converting to an external on an AX-15 is pretty much identical to doing it on an AX-4/5.

You need the external bellhousing, shift fork, throwout bearing, external style bearing retainer, slave cylinder, and the line. I believe you can get Master/line/slave combos already assembled and bled.

Converting to an external on an AX-15 is pretty much identical to doing it on an AX-4/5.

You need the external bellhousing, shift fork, throwout bearing, external style bearing retainer, slave cylinder, and the line. I believe you can get Master/line/slave combos already assembled and bled.

Do you have a ball park guess as to price on the external bellhousing/availability? I'm assuming this is a JY part not something i can p/u at napa/autozone etc. What vehicles came with the external slave bell housing?

For what it costs in parts you'll be better off just picking up an ax15 with external slave and swapping it in.

Check your local off road forums and keep your eye on craigslist for parts rigs for cheap.

I'm buying complete running XJ's for less than $500 with working transmissions.

:agree: I make it a point to buy the complete vehicle. Remove what i need, sell what I can that I don't need and sell what's left for scrap. Many a time I have bought the whole car for close to or less than what the JY wanted just for the part.

is there something broken in your current setup? I ask because the only thing wrong with the internal slave is that when it fails, you have to drop the trans to replace it. to convert to an external, you have to drop the trans and thus either way you'll be dropping the trans. as long as you use a Jeep factory slave (aftermarket ones have a poor track record), there's nothing much wrong with just keeping the internal design. it should last another 150k miles. :thumbsup:

is there something broken in your current setup? I ask because the only thing wrong with the internal slave is that when it fails, you have to drop the trans to replace it. to convert to an external, you have to drop the trans and thus either way you'll be dropping the trans. as long as you use a Jeep factory slave (aftermarket ones have a poor track record), there's nothing much wrong with just keeping the internal design. it should last another 150k miles. :thumbsup:

nothing wrong, clutch will need replaced in the next 20k. and had read external is better. I was looking to purchase the luk pro clutch kit and it comes with an internal.

Care to reveal where you find all those running XJ's for less then $500?

I have been looking for almost two months for a complete donor and most are about 2k.

Care to reveal where you find all those running XJ's for less then $500?

I have been looking for almost two months for a complete donor and most are about 2k.

In CT and the rest of the northeast they dump salt on the roads which rots out vehicles like crazy. Also people have wrecks and they don't always bring them to the wreckers, the rigs are out there but you'll rarely get all the parts you need from one rig.

Also, I said running condition, not nice condition. If you want a complete XJ that'll have all the parts you need I expect that you'll spend over $1500 easy.

I buy them mostly for clean drivetrains and I don't worry about body panels.

There are spring clips on both sides? The donor had one on the ball stud side but not one for the slave cyl side. What's the P/N for the spring clip? Also how do you set the ball stud height to make sure it is correct?

04338855 that is the spring clip.