Biggest let down in my Comanche career.......details inside

xjrev10

Yesterday I was bored at work. Thats not a good thing. I was looking around at craigslist at cummins trucks for a few hours. Then I figured Id take a look at the Comanches that where listed. Never a good thing....for me when I do not need another truck.

Listing said "92 Jeep Comanche Eliminator $800"

I immediately emailed the seller my number. I stared at my phone for 12 friggen hours waiting for it to ring. I figured if it didnt, it wasnt meant to be. Well low and behold the owner calls me. We chat for a bit and he tells me hes owned the truck for 10 years. Music to my ears. Make plans to head down (about 170-200 miles south) right away in the am.

Like I dummy I went to update the software on the tuner in my tow rig last night. Something went goofy and I could not get the truck to shift past 4th gear. I thought I was screwed...shoulda been a sign.

Woke up in the morning at 5am, hooked the trailer up, and the truck acted just fine. Perfect.

Got to the sellers house right on squedule. I looked the truck over topside. It had been sitting for around 2 years I guess. In the back of my mind i kept thinking, this thing needs to be on my trailer. Its my holy grail. We agree on a price of 700 bones. Perfect. Fuel for the tow rig to go get the thing was paid for!

I loaded the truck on the trailer. I went to strap it down and almost pissed myself when I see a Dana 44 staring at me from the rear of the truck. I strapped the truck to the trailer and paid the folks. I filled out the title, and I glanced up and see 91 on the title. I ran (sprinted) over to the truck to see "Build date 9-90" staring me in the face. I was pissed. I let them know it too. I didnt get too nasty just explained to them I drove 200 miles to buy a 92, not a 91. Then I had to explain the difference in the trucks. (or lack of)(understanding) Guy says he always told the mechanics that worked on the truck that it was a 92; since he bought it.

Its still a Eliminator package H.O. MJ. Did I need it? Absolutely not! If I woulda seen "91 Comanche Eliminator" I woulda skipped right by and woulda been 700 dollars richer.

Well enough story, here's the pics...

The twins,

This is 6 trucks in my yard. The 5YP NEEDS A NEW HOME FELLERS!

I also scored a set of comanche buckets with brackets for free at a Jeep Club members house on the way home. Hmm. Lots of new in my yard. But I got lots of time to think driving 12 hours aday at work. comanche.gif

I feel ya. Anyone who collects these stupid little jeeps always gets excited at the prospect of finding their "holy grail" '92. But, a '91 isn't at all bad either.

My $1,400 '91:

My $600 '90

And a real shame...... a '91 Metric Ton with bad title issues and a pretty destroyed bed. Donated lots of parts though.

Ahhhh no rust :bowdown:

I just did the title work today. Put some used shocks I had on the truck. I'm going to drive it for a few week to find all the bugs. Nice running little truck.

I have considered cutting up my 89 LWB to fix this one already..... I don't know what I'm going to do..

• 6 months later...

Well after about 2-3k miles and learning how rusty this poor truck really was....

I stripped it. Just about down to the last wire.

H.O. Engine

H.O. engine bay wiring and dash wiring

H.O. sending unit

Dana 44

2" receiver

Trail rig fenders

Hood

Lots of misc. All hardware bagged and labeled, along with both harnesses, labeled. Even the vaccum system is labeled.

Its last ride. I think I got my monies worth..

This is what happen last night when I was working in the dark to get the axle/leafs out. I simply used my floor jack underneith the rearmost cab support and check out what happened! Ish!

The weight of the axle ripped this right the heck off.

Off to the crusher :( Bittersweet day.

92 Comanche... I hear ya.

I keep looking at this one (internet only :typing: ) and can't decide if I should take the 60 minute ride to see it.

http://atlanta.craig...3436503915.html

I like the 4.0, but wanted 4X4 on the next one......

Should I bust a move on it? What would you offer? :help:

Sorry, if I hijacked your thread, but it appears to have ended with the last post. :hijack:

92 Comanche... I hear ya.

I keep looking at this one (internet only :typing: ) and can't decide if I should take the 60 minute ride to see it.

http://atlanta.craig...3436503915.html

I like the 4.0, but wanted 4X4 on the next one......

Should I bust a move on it? What would you offer? :help:

Sorry, if I hijacked your thread, but it appears to have ended with the last post. :hijack:

Id be all over that! Who cares if its only 2wd. A good Comanche friend of mine told me one time, "These trucks are like legos, you can make what you want out of any truck." (something like that(BEN) )))))

Jim:

I have actually used a ratchet strap to hold the hangers in. The truck in my avatar pic. Took it out wheeling and ripped BOTH hangers clean off. That was before fancy phones and before I discovered ComancheClub...

I've been bored at work the last couple of weeks. Not because I've got nothing to do, but the work is, well, boring. I have been doing a couple Craigslist searches and this just must be the time of year for '92's because three of them have popped up and they all look pretty good, but one especially:

http://allentown.craigslist.org/cto/3399748931.html

I really, really want someone on here to buy this. I've spoken to the owner (Joe) and he's a real cool guy. Was even going to ignore other potential buyers to let me have first stab because he knew I was a Comanche nut and he wanted it to go to a good home. He just bought another Jeep SUV for his wife and they no longer drive this one. I was looking to trade my Cherokee since I'm cash-poor right now, but he is trying to get rid of vehicles, not obtain more.

Here are two others I found that look to be in pretty good shape:

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/eat/cto/3436503915.html

http://southjersey.craigslist.org/cto/3429538344.html

I'm going to look at a '87 Metric Ton and an '89 Eliminator this weekend and if those two turn out to be duds, I'm going to be all over the $1200 '92.

..."These trucks are like legos, you can make what you want out of any truck." (something like that(BEN) )...

Yeah... something like that. :idea: Speaking of building trucks... you know what this is about. :D

It's sad to see any MJ off to the scrapper. Nice knowing that it'll live on in some form or another... probably in one of your trucks or mine!

Jim:

I have actually used a ratchet strap to hold the hangers in. The truck in my avatar pic. Took it out wheeling and ripped BOTH hangers clean off. That was before fancy phones and before I discovered ComancheClub...

Sounds like my kind of man. Don't get me started on some of the stunts I've pulled to get a rig home. I feel that if a person can't innovate then they got no business Jeepin or off roading.

I think this has the possibilities of being a new thread. Maybe a sticky. Have every body tell about some of the tricks they pulled to get home with out calling for help.

Gotta look at pics before you drive halfway across the state!

So very true...which brings me to my latest bout of Comanche frustration. There is a nicely priced MJ on the opposite side of the state from me. The seller has provided a single picture of the vehicle and it looks so-so, but it's incredibly hard to tell because of the low quality picture I was provided. I have asked on multiple occasions for additional pictures and the only response I have gotten was, "just come on out and see for yourself."

Right. Let me just make a 4 hour, 180 mile round trip just to "see for myself." How about you pay for the fuel on the off-chance that your truck is actually just a heaping pile of rotted metal that would be better off donated to the local scrapyard? Yea, I don't think that's going to happen. Or, we can take advantage of this thing called a camera. You know, those things that even the crappiest cell phones come with standard nowadays? How about we use that and snap a couple of pictures of the truck that aren't taken from 300 yards away. Maybe?