Oil Change

kazzx

So I took my 86 MJ to a Valvoline quick oil change place today. First the guy argued with me that Jeep never made a pickup truck an mine must be a modified Cherokee, then he agrued with me that my engine was a 2.8.

They are doing the final checks and start it and oil starts to shoot out of the filter like I get after a late night trip to Taco Hell. It took them 30 minutes to find the right size filter only after making numerous calls and thumbing through numerous manuals.

The guys proceed to tell me that they have never entered a VIN in thier system and it come back "not available" as far as part #'s. Has anyone else had this problem?

I think I'd have to beat someone's :mad: if they did something like that to my truck. Is finding the right part number that hard that they'd half @$$ the oil change and guess the filter? Then again after pulling out a chiltons to show the retard at the counter that the truck did exist I'd have left. Apparently he is only killing time until its his turn to be elected president lol

So I took my 86 MJ to a Valvoline quick oil change place today. First the guy argued with me that Jeep never made a pickup truck an mine must be a modified Cherokee, then he agrued with me that my engine was a 2.8.

They are doing the final checks and start it and oil starts to shoot out of the filter like I get after a late night trip to Taco Hell. It took them 30 minutes to find the right size filter only after making numerous calls and thumbing through numerous manuals.

The guys proceed to tell me that they have never entered a VIN in thier system and it come back "not available" as far as part #'s. Has anyone else had this problem?

:rotf:

Those places are a joke! Never go to a quick lube place if you don't have to.

Since you have an '86 and not a 2.8, I suppose you have the 2.5. The 2.5 used 3 different oil filters throughout its years between the Cherokee/Comanche and Wrangler lines.

The threading that the oil filter screws onto can be removed, and you can take that to the parts house to try and find which oil filter fits your motor if for some reason the '86 filter won't fit.

The threading that was on my 2.5 required use of a '70s CJ v-8 filter, so I got ahold of the right adapter from the junkyard and am now back to running an '86 2.5 filter.

Unless the the word massage is in the name of the place you never, ever go to a quick lube place. I used to work for a chevy dealership down the street from one and at least twice a month would get a car needing some sort of repair - mostly engine replacement.

Consider this: most jiffy places pay about $10 for trained techs, most walmarts pay $10.25 for untrained tellers.

Oil changes on jeeps are dirt simple and you can save a fortune doing them yourself. If you're not burning/leaking oil go with Mobil1 ($20 at most walmarts + $5 mobil filter at autozone) and your engine will last longer than you will. If you are burning oil then organic prestone and a fram filter is about the best/cheapest combo you can get.

From personal experience don't put amsoil in anything more valuable than a rusted lawnmower.

some of the filter manufactures actually stamp the thread size on the filter. around the oil entry area. i had a 93 xj and now i drive a 98 zj that was my wifes. puralator filters for the 4.0 are stamped 3 4 16, meaning 3/4-16 . there used to be a chart in the back of the puralator filter book that would tell you every fiters diamensions, length and diameter. then the thread size. so i would find out the largest filter i could fit and use it. check it out. the filter for my zj is 14670, the one ive been useing lately is 30257 just a few inches longer.

Aside from the fact that they have killed engines? I had one fail on me, but fortunately the tough ol' girl survived even with almost no oil pressure (0 at idle, but I got a few if I kept the engine above 1000 rpms or so).

But Frams aside, money spent on a filter is money well spent. You really do get more for your money in filter media and internal construction. :D

At NAPA you can get NAPA brand oil for $1.89 and NAPA Silver filter for $5. I get the napa gold filters ($6).

I was told some where that napa brand oil is valvoline and the filters are Wix. I don't know if its true or not but it has worked great for me. A lot better then Mobil and fram.

Man using a japanese keyboard is hard........

WIX are top shelf filters/stuff!!

Napa and most better parts stores can get them for you!

CW

Napa Gold and Car Quest Blue are Wix filters, but I am not sure about the Napa silver and Car Quest red (I think that they are made by wix also). When I call the techline for Car Quest filters and Napa it goes to Wix. O'riley carries Wix (actual brand). That is what I use.

Frams fail occasionally and are missing a certain part in them that every other brand filter has (can't remember what it is now :oops: ). I usually go in and get the least expensive filter that isn't a Fram, just as Pete does.

When I get time to pull the current filter off my Ford (replaced a collapsed Fram but still have poor to no oil pressure even though the new Napa gold filter is bulging from the excess oil pressure) I'm going to try to reverse blow the clog out of the oil gallery by applying 100 lbs of air pressure through the oil pressure gauge sensor. I plan to video tape it to send to Fram and my lawyer as well as have an independent shop take some of the material on the spot to be inspected. If it matches the material used in Fram filters and I don't get my oil pressure back, Fram will be getting a BIG bill!

I usually go in and get the least expensive filter that isn't a Fram, just as Pete does.

No, no, no. Either you misread me or I'm misreading you. I don't buy the cheapest. I buy the next step up (or whatever is above than the Fram if the store I'm in happens to sell them). But I have no problems dumping in the cheapest oil I can find (every 2k miles). :D

I usually go in and get the least expensive filter that isn't a Fram, just as Pete does.

No, no, no. Either you misread me or I'm misreading you. I don't buy the cheapest. I buy the next step up (or whatever is above than the Fram if the store I'm in happens to sell them). But I have no problems dumping in the cheapest oil I can find (every 2k miles). :D

Diesel motor oil for me. free from my dad's workplace.

I suppose I mistyped, as that was what I meant.